ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FBR - adopted

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jjustyy
Ireland

FBR - adopted

Post by jjustyy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:20 pm

I hope someone could please take the time to answer my questions; it will be much appreciated.

I am from the UK and my father (by adoption) has an Irish mother. He was born and raised in England and has an Irish passport. Am I able to register as a foreign birth? If so, would my adoption by him have to be recorded in Ireland or do I just provide a certified copy of my full adoption certificate with the FBR application?
Does it matter when you were adopted because I was adopted as a teenager?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Justin

KatieWills
Wales

Re: FBR - adopted

Post by KatieWills » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:09 pm

Have you used the online tool on dfa site?

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/great- ... ion-guide/

It details the extensive list of documents needed to submit an application.
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

KatieWills
Wales

Post by KatieWills » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:16 pm

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... tml#l091af

Scroll to just below the table for info regarding adoption.

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Thanks Katie, I have read both already. I see from the Register of Intercountry Adoption (RICA) the following though on their FAQs:

I would like to have an Irish passport but was adopted outside of Ireland? How can I do this?

The Adoption Authority of Ireland has no involvement in the issue of passports. Please see the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs http://www.dfa.ie for information. However, in order to apply for a passport, you will need to have registered your foreign adoption in Ireland and get a certificate of intercountry adoption. For information on how to do this, please see Register of Intercountry Adoption (RICA).

Link: http://aai.gov.ie/adoption/intercountry ... -i-do-this

I guess I have to do this first and then apply to be added to FBR?

Does anyone know if being added to the RICA is a requirement or can I include my UK Certificate of an Entry (Adoption Register) with my FBR application?

KatieWills
Wales

Post by KatieWills » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:52 pm

Having read the info on the RICA site it appears that you would need to submit your adoption certificate to them to be registered and they provide you with a certificate you can use to be added to the FBR. I am happy to be corrected if anyone has direct experience :wink:

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

I have emailed intercountry adoptions for advice as my adoption is the same as a step-parent domestic adoption and it's unclear whether this should be in the RICA or not.

Once I have a response I'll post back here.

aidanc
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by aidanc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:57 pm

Hi there,

Did you receive a favourable outcome? Please share your experience - I am in a similar position.

Cheers.

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi Aidan,

The reply I had was:
The only matter which would be open to the Adoption Authority to consider
would be the recognition under Irish law of an adoption. The recognition of
an adoption may be required by the relevant Department in considering an
application from you for Irish citizenship and an Irish passport and I
would suggest that you contact each Department to clarify the position in
your case.

Should you wish to apply for the recognition of an adoption under Irish
law, you should complete and submit the attached application form to the
Adoption Authority of Ireland. Finally, the Authority would always
recommend that you should seek independent legal advice.
I also contacted the FBR who said:
You will need to have your adoption recognized by the Adoption authority of Ireland and have it registered on the Irish foreign adoption register.

Information on how to do this can be found on the following link: http://www.aai.gov.ie/index.php/interco ... ption.html
It took 6 months to receive both responses.

It appears the best approach is therefore to register the adoption with intercountry adoptions. I haven't got round to this yet, but it is something I intend to do in the next month or so.

aidanc
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by aidanc » Fri May 04, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi,

I have read through everything. I went through the Adoption Registration process and it was quite smooth. My mother was adopted and her mother was Irish. So, I have her certificate. The problem I have is that, unfortunately, the process was completed AFTER I was born. So, therefore, they are stating that my mother only became an Irish Citizen when the adoption was recognized by the Adoption Authority of Ireland.

I'm hoping for some kind of a positive result as I am appealing the decision.

Good luck with your application - I am sure you will get it right!

mmm5892
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mmm5892 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:00 am

Hi all, Im trying to get on the FBR as an adopted child.

Here is my background to hopefully help anyone else in the process...

-I was adopted from China as a baby through my mother who is a usa citizen (now im a usa citizen)
-My mother's father was born in ireland (my grandfather) which made my mother an automatic Irish citizen too.
-I petitioned to have my adoption papers sent to me from the local courts
-I sent all of my adoption docs (adoption petition, adoption certificate to reflect name change, new birth cert) off to the Adoption Authority in Ireland under the category of Intercounty Adoption. lawyer said I should expect an answer in 4-6 weeks.

Once I receive the certificate that my adoption has been recognized under Irish law (fingers and toes crossed!!) then I will submit the certificate and the standard FBR documents. I spoke with a lawyer that deals with the Irish FBR and she said an adopted person is treated the same as a biological so long as the adoption is in accordance with irish law.

Claridgr
Newly Registered

Post by Claridgr » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:49 am

Hi Aidanc

I'm interested to know the outcome of your appeal. I and my daughter are in exactly the same situation. I was adopted in the UK by an Irish citizen but only registered my adoption last year. I thought that the adoption would count from the time of the actual adoption (1971) as it's clear I was deemed to be an Irish Citizen by that point. I'm currently awaiting the outcome of my application which was submitted in June 2018 (!) and they are just now starting to look into it! Many thanks!

aidanc
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by aidanc » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:38 pm

Claridgr wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:49 am
Hi Aidanc

I'm interested to know the outcome of your appeal. I and my daughter are in exactly the same situation. I was adopted in the UK by an Irish citizen but only registered my adoption last year. I thought that the adoption would count from the time of the actual adoption (1971) as it's clear I was deemed to be an Irish Citizen by that point. I'm currently awaiting the outcome of my application which was submitted in June 2018 (!) and they are just now starting to look into it! Many thanks!
Hi Claridgr,

When did you submit your application, exactly? Also, what are you applying for?

Because if you were adopted by an Irish Citizen and you have already registered the adoption through the Intercountry Adoption process and you have your certificate, then I am sure you can apply for your passport.

In this scenario, myself and my brother are the equivalent of your daughter. That is, our mother, like yourself, was adopted in the UK.

So, your daughter should apply for Irish Citizenship through the Foreign Birth Registration (FBR) process.

We (re) submitted out application at the end of 2018 and we received word in May that we had been entered into the foreign birth register and therefore we became Irish citizens from this date.

We have since received our FBR certificates and have submitted our passport applications. So we are obviously over the moon!

The other thing that I would mention is the following:

When I was originally dealing with the official at the DFA office, I was asking after clarification of our eligibility. We exchanged a few E-mails and also some telephone calls. In summary, I was advised that there had been a change in how the law was being interpreted. The law had to be interpreted in such a way that the parents adopting the child in the foreign country intended to stay in the country (Domicilium Law) indefinitely. Irrespective, the request that was made to me by the official was that I produce documentation that proves my grandparents domicilium / proof of address at the time of adoption.

Of course, that was a real tall order as that occured over 50 years ago. Well, I was up to the challenge and I pulled records from Her Majesty's Land Office (Lease Agreement for property) as well as BT Telephone Records confirming my grandparent's address.

During this process, I also connected with several people around the world who were in the same situation as myself. And we communicated constantly and supported each other along the journey. I believe we have since all been successful.

If I can assist you in any way, I will surely do so, as it was quite a long road for us.