ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Opening bank account while waiting for a resident card - EEA2

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

BelLon
Newly Registered

Opening bank account while waiting for a resident card - EEA2

Post by BelLon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi guys, I have a really HUGE problem now, and I need immediately help :!:
I am an non-EU spouse of EU citizen. We came to London five months ago, I came with my EEA family parmit. My visa expired at the end of a December. When we came here we immediately started to work for an agency, and you all know how it is, we have been working for six days per a week. My husband has been in London 3 years ago and he opened a bank account back then. When I started to work for an agency they said to me that I can work and get paid on his bank account, and I don't have to bother myself with that. What happened next is that my visa expired, and I applied for a residence card. A few weeks later I got a COA - Certificate of Application, with right to work and live in the UK. Next that happen is the trouble with the agency who has no jobs any more, just for 5h per a week. Of course, you can't live with that. So, I started looking for a job. I had a few successful interviews, and offers to work. Next thing that happens is that now I can't work with my husbands bank account! So I have been to every bank in London, Metro, Lloyds, Natwest, Halifax, HSBC, nothing. Because they all require a resident card or passport with visa. I don't have a resident card, because you have to wait for a resident card for six months, and visa in my passport is, as I said, expired. So I have a HUGE problem now, I have right to work and live here, but that is impossible without personal bank account which I can't open until June.
Can someone please help me find a solution and give me some advice if you have had the same bad experience?
Thank you guys.

Trabant

Re: Opening bank account while waiting for a resident card - EEA2

Post by Trabant » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:13 pm

Did you try to convert your husband's sole account to joint account (for both of you)?
Maybe this will be easier.
In Scotland where I live - Bank of Scotland is the easiest in such cases - but there is a different approach of EVERY branch - for example - in Airdrie they will refuse and in Coatbridge they will open an account.
so
1)try to add yourself to his account
2)try different branches - maybe it will work - but I do realise it is hard in your situation.

BelLon
Newly Registered

Post by BelLon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:12 pm

Thank you, I know about joint account, and we tried even that, but its still impossible. In every bank I wrote before we tried to open a bank account and a joint account, but we didn't have luck. :( I was searching online about my situation but I didn't find any situation like mine. I think I am the only one who is stuck in this situation. I can't even believe that employers won't employ me, if I get the money and if I sign that contract why would they even care about that!? It is funny to me how I have right to work, but I can't open a bank account.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:35 pm

Have you looked into opening a Post Office Money Current Account?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

thsths

Post by thsths » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:58 pm

No, you are not the only one in this situation. Every foreigner has difficulties opening a bank account here, and it is getting more difficult all the time. Even 10 years ago, I had to try 3 banks, despite the fact that I had a right to open a bank account with any bank.

Unfortunately, the home office is driving a very hard line, and the banks are following. It is secondary legislation, and I am not sure that is legal, but what can you do?

Did you try an internet bank such as Revolute, N26 etc? Sometimes they are easier, although they may do a credit check, which you might fail.

You do not need an account in the UK. The UK is still a member of the single market, and a bank account anywhere in the EU has to be acceptable. Do you have an account in the EU? Or could you open one?

Some employers are happy to pay by check or even in cash, although that is getting rare.

BelLon
Newly Registered

Post by BelLon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:36 am

I tried in a Post office also, but they told me they are not doing that. But I tried in only one Post Office, so I will try in another one definately, thanks.
Can you little further explain me, please, how it works if I open an Internet account? Will I get a card, and will my employer accept it?
Unfortunately, I am not able to open any account in the EU, since my country is not in the EU...
I am sooo stuck right now. It is going to circle, every day is the same, I am trying to find a solution and I kick the wall. :?

thsths

Post by thsths » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:50 pm

BelLon wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:36 am
Can you little further explain me, please, how it works if I open an Internet account? Will I get a card, and will my employer accept it?
Both Revolute and N26 give you a full back account with account number and everything. Employers have to accept that, although there are sometimes technical difficulties with accounts that are not UK based.

Of course the question is whether you can open an account in the first place - in theory the rules apply to all banks if they are considered UK based (which as I said your bank does not have to be).

Network
Newly Registered

Post by Network » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 am

You not alone me too face same problem
Even I received certificate of application I can’t open a bank account;I asked every bank (NatWest,Lloyds,Barclays,metro bank,Halifax,hsbc,...ect) all asked me for proof of address I provide TV license as I haven’t any other bills on my name, and proof of ID I told them that my passport is with the Home Office but they said we need to see your ID not a copy and the home Office won’t give it to me and I’m still reporting at reporting centre ones every month
I don’t understand why they do that
Any solution guys ?
Thank you

BelLon
Newly Registered

Post by BelLon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:23 am

I thought the same, even when the Home Office gave me back my passport, because I asked for it, i could not open bank account eather. So, it doesn't matter about ID, they need residence card, because they need card to scan it. That's what they told me in every bank you have been too.
Employers do not accept internet bank account. :?
No one can help us, we should wait for the residence card, unfortunatelly. And that is in 4 months in my case, which is too muuuch.

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:48 pm

Try the Credit Union.

All they need is one form of ID, a Birth Cert will do, and two items of proof of address.

I know through my work, many people who have trouble with ID and opening an Bank account can open one there.

Network
Newly Registered

Post by Network » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:14 pm

BelLon wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:23 am
I thought the same, even when the Home Office gave me back my passport, because I asked for it, i could not open bank account eather. So, it doesn't matter about ID, they need residence card, because they need card to scan it. That's what they told me in every bank you have been too.
Employers do not accept internet bank account. :?
No one can help us, we should wait for the residence card, unfortunatelly. And that is in 4 months in my case, which is too muuuch.
For me is different as they asked for my passport
So you shouldn’t have any problem as your passport is your id and certificate of application = Visa on your passport no need for residence card to proof that right
and national insurance number letter is proof of address
so can I ask for my passport back ? As my solicitor said they will not give it to me back till I get decision on my case
Thank you and good luck

BelLon
Newly Registered

Post by BelLon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Salem wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:48 pm
Try the Credit Union.

All they need is one form of ID, a Birth Cert will do, and two items of proof of address.

I know through my work, many people who have trouble with ID and opening an Bank account can open one there.
Thanks, I will try in Credit Union.
Is this bank?
https://www.creditunion.co.uk/

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:57 pm

BelLon wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 pm
Salem wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:48 pm
Try the Credit Union.

Thanks, I will try in Credit Union.
Is this bank?
https://www.creditunion.co.uk/
Hi,

Yes, or this one, just find whichever branch is nearest to you.

http://www.londoncu.com/

BelLon
Newly Registered

Post by BelLon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:58 pm

I will try in both banks, but the main problem is, when I show my passport to the bank worker (even a manager) they only see my expired visa and they say that CoA doesn't have anything to do with them.

Do you think in those banks will accept my passport (NON EU) and CoA as a proof of ID?

BelLon
Newly Registered

Post by BelLon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:02 am

[/quote]
For me is different as they asked for my passport
So you shouldn’t have any problem as your passport is your id and certificate of application = Visa on your passport no need for residence card to proof that right
and national insurance number letter is proof of address
so can I ask for my passport back ? As my solicitor said they will not give it to me back till I get decision on my case
Thank you and good luck
[/quote]

I don't know about your case, but you can check.
I applied my documents back on official website.
https://www.gov.uk/visa-documents-returned

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:37 am

BelLon wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:58 pm
I will try in both banks, but the main problem is, when I show my passport to the bank worker (even a manager) they only see my expired visa and they say that CoA doesn't have anything to do with them.

Do you think in those banks will accept my passport (NON EU) and CoA as a proof of ID?
I don't know.

But i do know through my work, that people having difficulties opening a Bank Account elsewhere, have been successfull with the CU. Most of them don't even have passports, only have a Birth Cert for ID, which was accepted.

BelLon
Newly Registered

Post by BelLon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:48 pm

I don't know.

But i do know through my work, that people having difficulties opening a Bank Account elsewhere, have been successfull with the CU. Most of them don't even have passports, only have a Birth Cert for ID, which was accepted.
[/quote]

That makes sense if they have EU ID or Birth Cert. They are probably from EU, like my husband. My husband can open account with EU ID and one proof of address, but I am from NON EU country. My ID is not valid here.
Are your friends from EU?

Network
Newly Registered

Post by Network » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:07 pm

Finally I opened a bank account today with Nationwide the manager was very helpful even I haven’t my passport he asked me to bring a letter from my doctor surgery confirmed my full name,date of birth and address + my certificate of application + National insurance number (try to find a job with the agencies that’s help as I told him that I need a bank account on my own name and agency won’t give me the job till I have it )
I advise you to ask about the manager in any bank and try to explain to them the situation and don’t give up I tried many different banks branch finally succeeded
Good luck

BelLon
Newly Registered

Post by BelLon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:07 am

Network wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:07 pm
Finally I opened a bank account today with Nationwide the manager was very helpful even I haven’t my passport he asked me to bring a letter from my doctor surgery confirmed my full name,date of birth and address + my certificate of application + National insurance number (try to find a job with the agencies that’s help as I told him that I need a bank account on my own name and agency won’t give me the job till I have it )
I advise you to ask about the manager in any bank and try to explain to them the situation and don’t give up I tried many different banks branch finally succeeded
Good luck
You were lucky. A few days ago I tried several banks again and nothing. I gave up in the end because everyone is saying the same can not.
If you can tell me in which branch you were to try?
Thank you

Network
Newly Registered

Post by Network » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 pm

Unfortunately I received a letter from the bank today they closed my account as they said I haven’t a right to remain in UK and they send me a letter that they received it from Home Office saying that
I can’t believe how the Home Office issued me certificate of application with right to work and in the meantime said that I haven’t right to remain in UK ?!?!
This is a joke I’m fed up I’m really upset 😡