ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non eu spouse travelling within Europe

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sarahcvs
Newly Registered

Non eu spouse travelling within Europe

Post by Sarahcvs » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi,

I hope I am writing in the correct section!

So my husband (Canadian) and I (British) live in the UK. My husband holds the EEA family residence card.

I booked for us to visit Barcelona in two weeks for 3 days. We suddenly panicked and realised that his passport expires on the 1st of May this year. For a non eu person I believe to travel to Spain he needs at least three months left on his passport, but I’m wondering as he has the above documents and he is traveling with me, do the same rules apply? Of course this has been discovered on a weekend, so I can’t speak to anyone, and I’ve tried googling the answer with no luck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

secret.simon

Re: Non eu spouse travelling within Europe

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:49 pm

Sarahcvs wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:34 pm
So my husband (Canadian) and I (British) live in the UK. My husband holds the EEA family residence card.
Have your husband and you entered the UK through the Surinder Singh route? It is unusual for a non-EEA spouse of a British citizen to be given an EEA family residence card.

As the spouse of an EEA citizen, your spouse can enter Spain with you provided he has a valid passport - Article 5, Paragraph 1 of the Directive 2004/38/EC.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Sarahcvs
Newly Registered

Re: Non eu spouse travelling within Europe

Post by Sarahcvs » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 am

Hi thanks for that,

Yes we used the Surinder Singh route. We lived in Ireland for a couple of years.

Am going to contact the Spanish embassy to see if they concur...