ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport for British citizen child born in India

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

indian2012
India

British passport for British citizen child born in India

Post by indian2012 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi Forum team,

Me and my wife are both naturalised British citizens. My wife is currently in India expecting our child birth in March this year.

I have read through the forum posts and these have been extremely helpful :)

My wife has been in India since last year and as such I would like for my wife and baby to join me in UK asap.

However, I am caught between the below processes regards to the quickest of the two :?

1. Applying for British Passport for Baby (2 - 3 months duration ??) followed by new entry visa(1 week duration) to exit India

or

2. Applying for Indian passport for Baby (1 - 2 weeks duration ???) followed by Right to Abode ( 2 - 3 months duration???) to enter UK.

In addition, since I will be travelling back to the UK for work after applying either for British Passport or Right to Abode, am I allowed to make Baby's application either on my name or wife as main applicant?
I understand reading through the forum that wife's name should be main applicant since she will be residing with Baby in India? Can you please confirm. I would prefer for my name to appear as the main applicant given my wife will be busy with new born baby during the time. I can attend the interview from here in London.

Can someone please guide with regards to the above queries.

Many thanks in advance :)

Indian 2012

vinny

Re: British passport for British citizen child born in India

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:56 pm

If both parents are British, then child may not be Indian.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

indian2012
India

Post by indian2012 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi Vinny,

Many thanks for your reply.

We both have OCI , can the child not be eligible for Indian passport and Right to abode route ?

In addition, can you please advise quicker route between the two ( British passport route vs Right to abode route) assuming I am allowed to make Right to abode application.

Also, I would prefer for my name to appear as the main applicant given my wife will be busy with new born baby during the time. I can attend the interview from here in London. Is that allowed or does the wife have to be the main applicant residing with baby in India?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:29 pm

The child is not eligible for an Indian passport and hence not eligible for CoE-RoA. The only choice is for the child to apply for a British passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:14 pm

New developments - It seems that Indian passport + CoE-RoA may be an option for children born in India to both naturalised British citizens with OCI.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.