ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirements for Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

abhishek_10
India

English Language Requirements for Naturalisation

Post by abhishek_10 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi Everyone, I'll be looking to apply for naturalisation in a couple of weeks via NCS. I got my ILR in Feb 2016 after 5 years of Tier 1 (General). During my ILR application, I simply used the PBS to showcase my knowledge of english language and qualifications along with my orignal degree & university certificates.

My question is related to the AN form and the option "met knowledge of language during settlement post Oct 2013". Would selecting this option along with submitting my university documents be sufficient? Really interested in knowing if anyone has recently had a successful application using this option?

If i have to go down the NARIC route, I'll have to get the ball rolling right away and don't have much time. So your quick assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot!

amr
Newly Registered

Re: English Language Requirements for Naturalisation

Post by amr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi,

I am having the same question. I got my ILR in March 2015 after 5 years of Tier 1 (General). I met english language requirement for settlement by simply showing PBS printout and Degree certificate.

AN form does have an option "I met knowledge of english language during settlement post Oct 2013". Looking at that, I believe, I don't have to prove english requirement again by submitting other documents listed in AN guide as already met requirement for settlement and submit the same documents. But I heard there are some rule changes in recent time but I don't find much information about it. When I read AN guide and English Language requirement on GOV.UK, it makes me more confuse as nothing mention about it.

https://www.gov.uk/english-language

Also, I tried to check with them by calling on help line number, no luck, they read out the same AN guideline and not clearly stating anything.

It would be great help. if get some expert advise or someone reply to this thread who has recently applied successfully and having the same case like us.

Thanks,

baddy

Post by baddy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:44 pm

abhishek_10 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:38 pm
Hi Everyone, I'll be looking to apply for naturalisation in a couple of weeks via NCS. I got my ILR in Feb 2016 after 5 years of Tier 1 (General). During my ILR application, I simply used the PBS to showcase my knowledge of english language and qualifications along with my orignal degree & university certificates.

My question is related to the AN form and the option "met knowledge of language during settlement post Oct 2013". Would selecting this option along with submitting my university documents be sufficient? Really interested in knowing if anyone has recently had a successful application using this option?

If i have to go down the NARIC route, I'll have to get the ball rolling right away and don't have much time. So your quick assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot!
Just go for the B1 english test. It is a better choice as compared to the NARIC process.

abhishek_10
India

Post by abhishek_10 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks for the response. But I'd ideally not got for either unless I absolutely need to.

That's why I'm checking on the boards as I'm hopeful someone has solved this dilemma recently.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:19 am

See also KoLL.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

amr
Newly Registered

Post by amr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm

have not received any update from anyone who applied recently, I have gone through couple of link which on gov.uk. It sheds some light on our confusion.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... LL-v19.pdf

Page – 34

This page tells you how a person can meet the speaking and listening part of the knowledge of language and life in the UK (KoLL) requirement by having a degree taught in English.

They must also have passed the Life in the UK test, see related link.

They do not need to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be academic (not vocational or professional) and deemed by UK National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK and to have been taught in English or delivered in a majority English language speaking country (excluding Canada).
Before 6 April 2016, a PBS online points calculator printout, showing 10 points has been awarded for English language could be submitted, together with the original degree certificate, to satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.

The points based calculator was turned off on 6 April 2016. An official statement from UK NARIC must be obtained before applying. Further information is provided on www.naric.org.uk/visasandnationality.
If we have previously accepted a degree qualification as meeting the requirements for an earlier application, and leave was granted, we will not need additional confirmation from NARIC. If the qualification has not previously been used for an immigration application, or the previous application was refused, the applicant must obtain confirmation from NARIC that it meets the relevant criteria.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf

Page – 8

A migrant who fulfils the Life in the UK requirement for settlement as it applies on or after 28
October 2013 will not be required to retake any elements in a later application for naturalisation
but will be deemed automatically to satisfy KoLL at that later stage.

I think, we met KoLL requirement for settlement, so not required to go for NARIC certification or English test unless don't have document what submitted for settlement.

abhishek_10
India

Post by abhishek_10 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:26 am

Thanks Amr.

I spoke to a colleague of mine who had applied for his Citizenship in Feb 2017 following a similar path as us (Tier1 - 1 yr ILR) and had used the PBC for his KOLL during the ILR.
He checked that box in the application form (suggesting he already met those requirements) and took his original degree/marksheets to the NCS centre along with a copy of the PBC. They didn't even take those and his application was approved.

I suppose it should be okay for us to use these options as well.

kadik
India

Post by kadik » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:42 am

Personally, I didn't not provide any UK Naric Certificate or B1. Used the PBS Calculator evidence that I submitted as part of ILR, MOI, and Degree Certificate. You can check my case on December 2017 timeline and have been approved.

abhishek_10
India

Post by abhishek_10 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:57 am

Thanks for your update Kadik. And congratulations on getting your citizenship sorted.

neel1810
Newly Registered

Post by neel1810 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:15 am

I got approval in Feb. I didn't provide any B1 or NARIC certificates. I have just selected option "fulfils the Life in the UK requirement for settlement as it applies on or after 28 October 2013" related to english in AN form. All i did was provided all my certificates.

abhishek_10
India

Post by abhishek_10 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Thanks Neel. Congratulations to you as well.

I'm going to submit mine early March, and hopefully it'll go well.

amr
Newly Registered

Post by amr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Thanks everyone for the update. All update gives lot of confidence to me. I am going to submit application on this Friday.

shivuk

Post by shivuk » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Hello Kadik,
It seems that your degree is from a non-majority English speaking country as you submitted a Medium of Instruction letter. Please could you confirm this.
Thanks.

[quote=kadik post_id=1600143 time=1519119732 user_id=29238]
Personally, I didn't not provide any UK Naric Certificate or B1. Used the PBS Calculator evidence that I submitted as part of ILR, MOI, and Degree Certificate. You can check my case on December 2017 timeline and have been approved.
[/quote]

gomcy
Newly Registered
India

Post by gomcy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Hello All,
I was planning to submit my naturalisation application using Form AN next week. I have applied and got the ILR after 28-Oct-2013. To satisfy English language requirement during ILR application I have used my degree and PBS.

I was planning to select the option for naturalisation and was not planning to submit any degree documents.

"• confirmation that you met the English language requirement, on or after 28th
October 2013, in order to obtain settlement"

I called Home office to confirm this, however advised told me to submit the degree along with NARIC certificate even after selecting this option. I also referred the KOLL guide to him. There is also lack of clarity among the NCS staff on this as they are insisting on either having B1 test certificate or NARIC letter.

Can you please shed some light/your experience on this topic? Early response is much appreciated. Thank you.

amr
Newly Registered

Post by amr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Hi Gomcy,

You already met English requirement for Settlement obtained on or after October 2013. You no need to submit NARIC certificate.

You still need to submit the documents what you have provided for Settlement, i.e. your degree certificate and PBS print out.

All the best.