ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

LOTR which benefits?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Seema77
Newly Registered
Wales

LOTR which benefits?

Post by Seema77 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Hello
I’m helping a friend who has been in the uk on a spousal visa. The marriage broke down due to domestic abuse at the hands of the British partner within the first 2 years. He has been given 3 months to apply for ILR so he can have access to public funds now. But we don’t know where to start. He is homeless and looking for work. Can anyone advise please?
TIA

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: LOTR which benefits?

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 am

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -04-17.pdf

Your friend will need quite a bit of evidence to support ILR based on DV.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Seema77
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by Seema77 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks, yes he has a fair bit of evidence. It’s just the benefits which he is entitled to we need to get on top of at the moment. We don’t know where to start. Citizens advice are lovely but slow. Job centre and universal credit are useless

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:18 pm

He cannot claim benefits as yet as he does not hold ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Seema77
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by Seema77 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Yes, as he has been given leave outside of the rules since he is applying for ILR because of domestic violence, he has been given an advance payment from universal credit this week

CMOSUK
Mood:

Post by CMOSUK » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:04 am

Seema77 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:38 pm
Yes, as he has been given leave outside of the rules since he is applying for ILR because of domestic violence, he has been given an advance payment from universal credit this week

Hi,

May i ask when they where granted LOTR and how long for?

Is sounds like limited LOTR, also have there been conditions attached with the LOTR BRP card and letter.

Are there any conditions of '' No Recourse To Public Funds'' attached?

I' m just having a read at the Section 14: leave outside the rules guidance and can't seem to find anything on recourse to public funds, but from a bit of searching around it would seem to me you are able to claim public funds as you have been granted outside the rules, provided you don't have the above conditions attached.

Wether you get them or not is a different issue as most public fund bodies/departments have the Criteria that you must be of settled status (ILR) or a BC as CR001(I can never get your font color right) correctly pointed out.
CR001 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:18 pm
He cannot claim benefits as yet as he does not hold ILR.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.

Seema77
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by Seema77 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi, he was granted LOTR for 3 months from January on the basis of applying for ILR due to domestic violence. He was originally here on a spousal visa, he was in the country for 6 months when the marriage broke down.

There was no recourse to public funds on his spousal visa but not his current one.

He is receiving universal credit and is entitled to legal aid. Though trying to find a solicitor is proving hard. There doesn’t seem to be any near us that deal in legal aid and immigration.

Trying to find any help is almost impossible. Yet there is lots of help for women who have been in the same situation as him, including help from the police

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:06 am

Seema77 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:44 pm
Trying to find any help is almost impossible. Yet there is lots of help for women who have been in the same situation as him, including help from the police
Why will no one fund male domestic abuse charities?
Mankind Initiative
Mens' Advice Line
Refuge against domestic abuse - Support for men
Men's Aid charity
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.