ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Attn. WHM Seeker

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Raghv
Newly Registered

Attn. WHM Seeker

Post by Raghv » Mon May 03, 2004 5:55 am

Hi friends
I have recently tried for WHM but could not succeed.
I am giving here the details of my interview and reasons for refusal.
It seem to get too hard so well prepared for this.
Hope this info will help you in your preparation.
Ask me any query if any.
Question by ECO:
1.How old you are?
2.Are you comfortable with english?
3.Are you ready for interview?
4.Why WHM?
5.From where did you know about this Visa?
6.How you will be benefited?
7.What are the places you want to visit?
(When answered science muesum,hampton court palace,london Eye....)
8.where is london Eye?
9.who lives in Hampton court palace?
10.Tower bridge is famous for?
11.GPF-Not counted?
12.whats your parent do?
13.What is their income?
14.who is sponsoring your trip?
15.How much money you have to spend?
16.How many sister/brother?
17.Sister married?
18.Would you do work there?
19.Where will you stay?
20.Show proof?
21.Have you confirmed job?
22.What type of job looking for?
23.What will you do after returning?
24.what are your qualifications?
25.What is your experience?
26.Why your parent will pay you?
27.Why not for 6 month visit visa?

Refusal Reasons :
Main reasons -
1.You do not have enough funds to support yourself in UK?
2.YOu do not have intention to return at end of your stay?
Based on following -
1.Never taken holiday previously
2.Not having detailed description of sights
3.Only 3 months stay - not possible to visit and work
4.Employed for few years
5.How can you resume employments
6.Jeopardise your career
7.Could not tell how WHM will benefited
8.Intention of returning
9.Having low paid job
10.Little savings
11.Un-married sisters
12.Little future prospectus in india
13.No work arranged

Good luck.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Mon May 03, 2004 3:20 pm

Thank you for sharing, Raghv!

Best of luck to you, too.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue May 04, 2004 4:41 pm

Raghv,

I am sorry to hear that your WHM visa was not approved and thank you for sharing your experience with the board. There is not much you can do to rebutt the ECO statement/ determinations that you will not depart the UK after completion of your WHM. Regrettably Home Office statistics show that 95 percent of WHM visas are primarily issued to nationals of Australia (approx. 50 pc of thse 95pc), New Zealand, Canada and South Africa. I expect the WHM scheme to get plugged eventually especially with the inevitable opening up of the labour market to the new EU member states. Depending on your skills and qualifications you may wish to apply for the HSMP scheme - no need to show you will return home for this one removing the subjectiveness criteria.

Best wishes for the future and don't despair - you seem to a be very positive individual.

Regards

Kayalami

Raghv
Newly Registered

Attn. WHM Seeker

Post by Raghv » Wed May 05, 2004 6:13 am

Facts given by kayalami says it all about WHM approach of ECO.This is really frustrating for others commonwealth countries specially for indian where there is queue of 4-5 months for this visa and only the lucky ones are getting it.Despite having balance of GBP 1500 with me and GBP 2500 from parents, he said that you have not funds for your onward journey. He did not consider GPF funds of my parents.
In mine case, ECO was indian and said "why your parents will pay for your bloody dreams".It seems he was not aware with indian culture and bond of indian family.He did not listen my case seriouslly and want answers in yes or no.There was taunting with every answers.At last when i feel that the decision is preconceived so said him "thank you very much" and answer was "Its my duty".
Good luck for other who are going to appear for interview and be well prepared with these issues.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed May 05, 2004 8:58 am

Kayalami,

So you are trying to say that WHM will be discontinued in near future??

Thanks
Ashish

Vayu

Post by Vayu » Thu May 06, 2004 6:27 am

Kayalami wrote: I expect the WHM scheme to get plugged eventually especially with the inevitable opening up of the labour market to the new EU member states.
Kayalami
Gotta disagree with you on this one Kayalami (although I do so tentitavely....you are never wrong!) :wink:

Any disbanding of the WHV would cause quite an outcry in places like Aus, NZ and SA. I don't know if you recall, but when the home office did a white paper on reviewing the WHV, the proposed changes on making only 1 year long made headline news in Australia.

Additionally, doing so would cause the Australian and NZ govts to revoke their reciprocal schemes with the UK. Far too many young brits make the trip for the antipodes to make scrapping these arangements a viable option.

While the UK does and should look to Europe, it still finds certain "old" commonwealth links handy to have. Especially for cheap, well educated(and dare I say it - western) professionals.

My guess is that the UK will actually go in the other direction. We have seen that WHV now allows professional, full time work. They will keep the WHV as a convinient backdoor way of getting professionals from "old commonwealth nationals" into the UK.

Anecedotally only, I have seen happen recently many of my aussie friends go over to the UK on WHV, after a year or so, they apply to switch to an under 28 HSMP. This trend will only increase once people find out about the under 28 WHV. I actually think the UK government wants this to happen, as it can't get enough skilled workers from the continent, even with free movement of EU nationals.

Raghv
Newly Registered

Post by Raghv » Wed May 12, 2004 12:12 pm

hi vayu,

How the UK finds cheap professionals from canada,australia....
As these are the developed nations and not opening door to other CW nations.

Regards,

raghv[/code][/quote]

Vayu

Post by Vayu » Wed May 12, 2004 1:20 pm

Hi raghv.

When I say cheap, I mean relatively. In general, the salary for a job in the UK is higher that what and Australian or a Kiwi would earn back home.

However, many Aussies, Kiwi's and SA's are on genuine holidays working holidays (then again, some are not). The profile of your average WH maker is someone coming and going from the UK for work. They travel around Europe, but when in the UK they provide a flexible workforce to meet temporary manpower shortages.

Salary wise, they are more flexible to get lower salaries than for someone settled in the UK and do some jobs that they wouldn't do at home, simply so they can keep travelling (hospitality, teaching, back of house office/admin work). These are also sectors which won't be easily replaced by eastern europeans either, especially as they still require a high level of English.

I also mean cheap from the British governments perspective. With working holdiay makers who do now do professional jobs, the UK economy get highly skilled employees to resource the UK economy, but without having to pay a penny in educating them. My hypothesis is that for those who take the WHV as a foot in the door to the UK, they would very easy then qualify for a HSMP once they get a UK salary if they decided to work professionally. I actually think the UK government welcoms this. The benefits of professional working holiday makers were outlined in the While Paper on this issued last year.

The same applies in reverse with Working holiday makers to the southern hemisphere from the UK. A recent report by the Australian Tourism industry showed that backpackers to Australia play an essential role in the service sector.

There are many many jobs/service sectors which are exclusively filled by backpackers, as employers find them flexible (eg call centres, hospitality, agriculture). Thats what I meant when I said that the Australian government wouldn't find it satisfactory if the UK scrapped WHV's for Australians, as Australia would be forced to reciprocate.

You see, it is in the interests of all parties concerned to keep the WHV.

Hope this clears things up.

Vayu

Raghv
Newly Registered

Post by Raghv » Mon May 17, 2004 5:01 am

thanks Vayu,
Hope, It will help WHM Seeker to have clear image of this scheme.

Raghv

rahul
Newly Registered

whm visa interview

Post by rahul » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:49 pm

hi friends

i am an indian & my whm visa interview is on march 1 2005. i was wondering if anyone who has recently given this interview would guide me about expected questions by visa officer. thanks in advance.

AlexCh

Post by AlexCh » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:25 pm

Vayu wrote:We have seen that WHV now allows professional, full time work.
Not anymore - have you read newspapers recently? ;)

Vayu

Post by Vayu » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:14 pm

AlexCh wrote:
Vayu wrote:We have seen that WHV now allows professional, full time work.
Not anymore - have you read newspapers recently? ;)
I have read them recently, and I obviously read things more carefully that you ;)

WHV still allow professional full time work, but now for only 12 of the 24 months. Previously, you were not permitted to work in an area which would forward your career.

The other thing you should note is the time stamp on the sentence that you quoted. I wrote that more than a year ago!!!!! :lol: