ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jezabel
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by Jezabel » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:48 pm

I have just had my application sent back because there was no name on my Grandmother's birth cert (despite it being sent to me from the Register Office) and they want an original baptismal certificate - we are talking 1894, does anyone have any ideas?

caferacer
Australia

Post by caferacer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Jeez, Thats tough...National Library of Ireland has a collection of baptisms from some many parishes....not sure the process..drop them an email... should be OK, probably just as quick as getting a birth Cert..if they have it...you may hear along the way , that records, were destroyed, fire .flood..etc etc..but dont always believe it, there are records, you just have to find the right body which houses them..

National Library of Ireland
Kildare Street
Dublin
D02 P638
Telephone: +353 (0)1 603 0200
Email: info@nli.ie

Jezabel
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Jezabel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 am

caferacer wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:30 pm
Jeez, Thats tough...National Library of Ireland has a collection of baptisms from some many parishes....not sure the process..drop them an email... should be OK, probably just as quick as getting a birth Cert..if they have it...you may hear along the way , that records, were destroyed, fire .flood..etc etc..but dont always believe it, there are records, you just have to find the right body which houses them..

National Library of Ireland
Kildare Street
Dublin
D02 P638
Telephone: +353 (0)1 603 0200
Email: info@nli.ie
That's great advice, thank-you - I got there by a slightly different route, a paid service but the fee was quite modest; the guy there has located it and is going to send me an official copy for €50 which seems quite reasonable as he has to pay a fee and make a donation too.
Just to complicate things, she is christened Mary but has become May by the time she marries my Grandfather, hope that is not going to complicate the issue further!

caferacer
Australia

Post by caferacer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:03 pm

No worries, jeez, just for others , if they need that service, can you post his/her contact.. cheers

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:11 pm

caferacer wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:03 pm
No worries, jeez, just for others , if they need that service, can you post his/her contact.. cheers
Members are not permitted to post information or contact details of non official or third party agents.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

DXW059
Newly Registered

Post by DXW059 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:04 pm

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker on this forum - who has found this thread very helpful, so thought I would provide you with my timeline for your information:

Myself and my brother (UK citizens) applied via our Irish-born grandfather via the London embassy and they received all our documents on 18th August 2017. Heard absolutely nothing since then until receiving our FBR certificates in the post today (we did not receive an email informing us of our entry onto the register), date of entry to register = 30th January 2018. So approx 5.5 months from receipt of application to entry on the register and just a few days shy of 6 months to receive certificates and all documents via the post.

Good luck to everyone else! Éirinn go Brách

Dan

aidanc
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by aidanc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:27 pm

similarpreguntaz wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 6:00 am
ammonite wrote: Also sent my application in mid February, I'm really hoping it ends up nearer to 6 months than 12! Mine is a bit more complicated as my mother was adopted and I am claiming through her birth mother, so there is the added complication of tracing her name change through the adoption. My mother has already succesfully applied for her Irish passport, but the FBR application seems to require so much more documentation for some reason. Fingers crossed it is all ok...
Did you have your mother added to the register of foreign adoptions in Ireland?
I am in exactly the same situation. Did you have success? Really keen to hear back as I've been struggling for some time with mine!

helen31
Newly Registered

Post by helen31 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Hi everyone. Just wanted to post a final follow up to my application which started January 2017 - I now have my citizenship AND passport. Took over 7 months for the first and 3 months for the passport. So, including my own delays of gathering relevant information for the passport, the whole process has taken just under 12 months. Despite the length of time waiting, I am really thrilled to have it and wish everyone all the best in gaining citizenship.

helen31
Newly Registered

Post by helen31 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:05 pm

My witness was never contacted for both my FBR or passport. I don't think they automatically do unless they want to verify something.
haylingbilly wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:12 pm
Does anybody know if the witness is contacted in all cases and how long after first applying/how long before the FBR certificate is issued this happens?

Just wondering as my witness hasn’t been contacted yet. Don’t know if this means they might not be or if my application simply hasn’t been processed yet.

ninal01
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ninal01 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Jezabel wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 pm
ninal01 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:10 pm
Jezabel wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:35 am
My application was received at the Irish Embassy in London yesterday 20th September so I am not really expecting anything before April/May next year but will keep you posted on any developments
Jezabel, I submitted a few weeks before you. Have you heard anything yet? I've prodded them again today to see if anything after hearing processing time in London was down around 4-5 months. Hopefully will get reply from them on Monday.
Nothing so far! working on the principal that no news is good news
Me too...witness hasn't been contacted. I do hope they email in advance because I've moved house since I applied/want to be sure they send it to my new address. I think there's light at the end of the tunnel and I'm getting sooooo anxious! Looks like some who submitted a few weeks before me have gotten their certificates, so hopefully not long for us!! Shout if you hear anything!

haylingbilly
Newly Registered

Post by haylingbilly » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks for replying helen31 as it is just a waiting game which you don’t mind at the start, but as time goes on and you haven’t heard a word you start getting a bit anxious as to whether your application has even been looked at. There must be a better way of keeping applicants updated like I believe there is with the passport applications. That’s 5 1/2 months for me at the moment since my application and supporting documents were received by them so here’s hoping I haven’t got much longer to wait. :-)
helen31 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:05 pm
My witness was never contacted for both my FBR or passport. I don't think they automatically do unless they want to verify something.
haylingbilly wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:12 pm
Does anybody know if the witness is contacted in all cases and how long after first applying/how long before the FBR certificate is issued this happens?

Just wondering as my witness hasn’t been contacted yet. Don’t know if this means they might not be or if my application simply hasn’t been processed yet.

IrishGem
Newly Registered

Post by IrishGem » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:26 pm

joanward wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:55 pm
Hi everyone,

I've got almost everything ready now to apply. But I'm slightly confused by the guidelines regarding witnesses. On the Irish Embassy of GB website their guidelines say...

The witness must be from one of the following professions only and :

(a) Must be currently residing and practicing in the UK

(b) Must not be related in any way to the Applicant

Police Officer (including collar number and Station Stamp if available)
Members of the Clergy (We define a member of the Clergy as a person who can officiate at Ceremonies e.g. Baptisms, Weddings, Funerals etc.)
Medical Doctor (Must be registered with the General Medical Council)
Solicitor (Must be registered with the Law Society)
Bank Manager/Building Society Manager
School Principal/Head Teacher
Head of Department at University/College
Magistrate/Judge

But on the actual form it says:
Member of the Clergy
Medical Doctor
School Principal
Bank Manager
Solicitor/Lawyer
Police Officer
Magistrate/Judge

I have two people in mind. A head of department friend, or a lawyer friend. But the two lists are contradictory on this matter! I've dropped them an email, but I thought perhaps those of you who have completed the process might be able to advise? Hope you can help, and good luck with all your applications!

Ali
Hi Joanward,

The list of professions on the website seems to be an extension (School Principal/Head Teacher and Head of Department at University/College were added) of the list on the form. I interpreted this as the form has not been updated.

I used the Head of Department at my University and my application has been accepted, I received confirmation by email. However, I'm not expecting to be registered until mid-May at the earliest.

Best wishes,
IrishGem

IrishGem
Newly Registered

Post by IrishGem » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:49 pm

IrishGem wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:15 pm
Hi Folks,

I've printed my FB1A form and just had it witnessed. So far, so good.

The question I have is about proof of residence documents. Are original documents required or are internet print-outs of PDF documents sufficient?

The guidance suggests utility bills, bank statements and council tax bills are all good. However, with many landlords including bills and council tax in the rent, and with many utility bills and bank accounts being online and paperless, it is not easy to find 3 original documents. Also, do they need to be dated in the last 6 months?

What are other peoples' experiences of what they have had accepted/declined?

So far, I have originals of: a recent letter (but not a bill) from my previous broadband and phone supplier, a recent letter (again, not a bill) from my new broadband and phone supplier and a recent statement from NS&I Premium Bonds (a financial institution but not a bank).

Best wishes,
Gem
Hi All,

I submitted a query via the Foreign Birth Registration/Citizenship web form ages ago asking:
Are full colour printouts of bills sent to me as PDF documents acceptable as proof of residence documents for an FBR application? Do documents have to be dated and within a certain date?
I was struggling to find "good" proof of residence documents at the time. This is the response I got:
PDF printouts would be accepted. The proofs of address have to be less than 6 months old.
So there we have it. I'd probably recommend something like colour laser/colour copier quality, a lot of high-street print shops can do this for not too much money. The printouts would essentially be in the same form as if the utility company had done the printing and posted the paper copy to you.

FYI: They took about 30 working days to answer, my guess is that they are dealing with a lot of interest :).

Best wishes,
Gem

LuluBlue76
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by LuluBlue76 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 pm

Thanks to all that take the time to update how long their applications took, it makes the wait a bit easier! just reached 4 months for my two children so fingers crossed not long now. Will definitely update when it all goes through!

Aerlinguist
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Aerlinguist » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi all,

Here's a timeline for my FBR certificate application.

7 Aug 2017 - application received in London
18 Jan 2018 - Email from Dublin (Consular Division) with a question over discrepancy with grand-mother's birth dates (Birth and Death certificates have completely different dates). Phoned Dublin and clarified as best I could, told case was being passed to a 'supervisor' (I started to worry!).
2 Feb 2018 - Emailed 'Foreign.LONDON@dfa.ie' asking for an update. Reply stated that application was in Dublin at an 'advanced stage'.
10 Feb 2018 - Received large envelope from Dublin with my FBR certificate, a passport application form, and all my original documents (the certificate shows me entered on the FBR on Jan 18th).
14 Feb 2018 - Watched 'The Wind that Shakes the Barley' in a totally new light.

Sincere thanks to everyone who has posted on this board over the last few months, I've been an avid reader and gained a lot of comfort knowing I wasn't alone. Good luck to all!

rmurphy4321
Newly Registered

Post by rmurphy4321 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi all,

Managed to lock myself out of my account but an update from my earlier post, my FBR is now complete, woohoo!

22nd August 2017 - posted application
23rd January 2018 - emailed the London Embassy via the website contact form, received a reply the same day saying my application was at 'an advanced stage' in Dublin
5th February 2018 - entered into FBR register (!!!)
15th February 2018 - received FBR certificate, original documents and passport application in the post

Mine was a pretty straightforward case, I applied through a grandparent.

Hopefully this will be useful - good luck everyone!

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 pm

rmurphy4321 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:49 pm
Hi all,

Managed to lock myself out of my account but an update from my earlier post, my FBR is now complete, woohoo!

23rd January 2018 - emailed the London Embassy via the website contact form, received a reply the same day saying my application was at 'an advanced stage' in Dublin
15th February 2018 - received FBR certificate, original documents and passport application in the post

Thanks for update , did you get email confirming you are entered into FBR or you just got the envelope from them by post ?

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:00 am

Aerlinguist wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Hi all,

18 Jan 2018 - Email from Dublin (Consular Division) with a question over discrepancy with grand-mother's birth dates (Birth and Death certificates have completely different dates). Phoned Dublin and clarified as best I could, told case was being passed to a 'supervisor' (I started to worry!).
2 Feb 2018 - Emailed 'Foreign.LONDON@dfa.ie' asking for an update. Reply stated that application was in Dublin at an 'advanced stage'.
10 Feb 2018 - Received large envelope from Dublin with my FBR certificate, a passport application form, and all my original documents (the certificate shows me entered on the FBR on Jan 18th).

Sincere thanks to everyone who has posted on this board over the last few months, I've been an avid reader and gained a lot of comfort knowing I wasn't alone. Good luck to all!
Thanks for update , did you get email confirming you are entered into FBR or you just got the envelope from them by post ?

Aerlinguist
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Aerlinguist » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:32 pm

bluemoon2 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:00 am
Aerlinguist wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Hi all,

No confirmation email - just a fat envelope. I know others have had an email. Perhaps it depends on your particular case-worker?

rmurphy4321
Newly Registered

Post by rmurphy4321 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:01 pm

bluemoon2 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 pm
rmurphy4321 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:49 pm
Hi all,

I didn't get an email either, just the certificate in the post.

haylingbilly
Newly Registered

Post by haylingbilly » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:30 pm

Delighted that it’s now my turn to post an update having been avid reader on here since last August to see how other people’s applictions are progressing.

01/09/17 application form and supporting documents signed for by Consulate General of Ireland in Edinburgh.
21/01/18 entered on to FBR (only known after the event having received documents on 26/02/18 advising this).
26/01/18 FBR certificate, accompanying letter and supporting documents received by Special Delivery from Consulate General of Ireland in Edinburgh.

Delighted to have received my certificate after watching Ireland beat Wales in the rugby on Saturday, but not knowing at the time I was then an Irish Citizen!

Will definitely be celebrating with a few pints of Guinness on 17 March! :-)

ninal01
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ninal01 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:55 am

Hi all - as an update to my timeline, just over a week ago I prodded London embassy again and I was told that my application was in advanced stage in Dublin!

Timeline since my first post was ages ago:

4 Sept 2017: submitted online application
6 Sept 2017: submitted paperwork to London embassy
22 Feb 2018: advised that application was in advanced stage in Dublin

Who knows how long it will take, but I'm hoping maybe another week - anyone know roughly how long theirs took from 'advanced stage'?

SO EXCITING! :D

margin
Newly Registered

Post by margin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:42 am

Application received at London Embassy: 25th September, 2017

Date of Entry on Foreign Births Register : 19th February, 2018

Receipt of FBR certificate : 2nd March, 2018

I will now re-read 'An Béal Bocht' with a sharpened appreciation.

Aerlinguist
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Aerlinguist » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:05 pm

Who knows how long it will take, but I'm hoping maybe another week - anyone know roughly how long theirs took from 'advanced stage'?

When I was told 'advanced stage', I had already been entered into the register - so I'd take that as a very good sign! The best of luck to you.

swisstony
Newly Registered

Post by swisstony » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:44 am

It would be interesting to hear from people whose application was submitted at other embassies apart from London.
London seems to turn applications round in 6 months or less, here in Switzerland my docs were received on 11th August but no result yet.
Good luck to everyone who has applied.