ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Listed on Mother's UK Passport - Citizenship Status?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jekil
Newly Registered
Australia

Listed on Mother's UK Passport - Citizenship Status?

Post by jekil » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:55 am

Hi,

I am looking to apply for UK citizenship by decent (Born before 1983 to a British Mother). I was born in New Zealand, but have found a passport belonging to my mother on which I am listed. Does anyone know how this will relate to applying for citizenship, or if she would have had to register me for UK citizenship when putting me on her passport? I have asked Mum what she did, but as it was back in 1971, she can't remember.

Thanks in advance.

vinny

Re: Listed on Mother's UK Passport - Citizenship Status?

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:04 am

Passports wrote:6. Children included in United Kingdom passports
6.1 Between June 1970 (for posts overseas) and July 1971 (for United Kingdom Passport Offices) and February 1972, the Passport Office and Foreign & Commonwealth Office posts overseas did not make any observation about the nationality status of a child who was not a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies if the child was included in the passport of a person other than the parent. It is therefore important that the inclusion of a child in a United Kingdom passport issued between these dates should not be regarded as conclusive evidence of the child's nationality status.
6.2 In February 1972, Passport Office and posts abroad ceased, except in the most exceptional circumstances, to include in United Kingdom passports the particulars of children who were citizens of other Commonwealth countries, citizens of the Republic of Ireland or aliens. When these arose, posts were instructed to include the name of the child in the parent's passport with a note to the effect that the nationality status of the child had not been determined. To avoid future difficulties, and to encourage parents to get their children properly documented as soon as possible, the validity of the parent's passport was restricted (or cut back) to 6 months.
6.3 If a child's name has been added without observation it should not be assumed that the child's nationality status has necessarily been established by documentary evidence other than that needed to establish the parent/child relationship. Full supporting documents will need to be requested when an application is received for a child whose particulars have been included in a parent's passport by an overseas post.
6.4 Passport offices investigated whether children were British citizens etc before including their particulars in a parent's passport, and records should indicate the derivation of the child's status where this was established. If an investigation could not be completed before the date of travel for lack of satisfactory evidence, for example, of legitimate descent or legitimation, children may, if there was every indication that they were British citizens etc, have been included in the parent's passport with a note to the effect that their nationality status had not been determined. The validity of the parent's passport was restricted and the index card noted.
6.5 Until 4 October 1998, children under 16 years of age were able to be included on the passport of any family member. Since that date, all children have been required to hold their own passports. Children whose particulars were already included in their parents' passports were not immediately affected by this change, and may continue to travel with their parents until the passport concerned expires or needs to be replaced.
6.6 Normally, either parent may consent to the issue of a passport for a child. Where the parents were not married to each other at the time of the child's birth, the mother must give consent if the father has not been given parental responsibility for the child.
The UKPA operates a scheme whereby either parent can lodge an objection to passport facilities being granted to a child if they have a court order requiring their consent, or the sanction of the court, for the removal of the child from the jurisdiction of the court. An unmarried mother can lodge an objection without a court order if the father has not been given parental responsibility.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:28 am

See this very similar case.

By birth to a British mother overseas before 1983 and by virtue of your Commonwealth citizenship, you are a Commonwealth citizen with the Right of Abode and can apply directly for a CoE-RoA in your New Zealand passport. That will need to be renewed every time your passport is renewed and that will only give you the right to reside in the UK, without the other benefits of British citizenship (EU citizenship, consular access, etc).

Alternatively, you can register as a British citizen using Form UKM. That will make you a British citizen and you can apply for a British passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

jekil
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by jekil » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:34 am

Thank you both for your replies :) I guess now I just need to work out which way to go.

Much appreciated.

Julie