ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WIFE GOT HER ILR...what next?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SHAFFI

WIFE GOT HER ILR...what next?

Post by SHAFFI » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:00 am

Hi folks,

Pleased to announce that my wife got her ILR issued yesterday at the Liverpool office (reliance house).

It is a long dragged out proccess, we were in there for almost 3 hours...

I have a few questions now if anyone can help...

1) am i right in thinking that we have to wait for 1 year for naturalisation?

2) Once granted naturalistaion...will she get a british passport?

3) if she wants to now work can she get a N.I nuber...and in the meantime can she claim any unemployment benefits?

thankyou in advance

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:49 am

As a spouse of a British citizen you have to be in the UK 3 years before you can apply for British citizenship. You can actually apply for citizenship straight after you receive ILR if you have been in the country long enough.

Once your naturalisation has been approved you have to attend a citizenship ceremony where you receive a Naturalisation Certificate. Then you can apply for a British passport.

It's not a problem to apply for a N.I. number after you get a job offer.

I'm not an expert but I think as your wife has not paid paid any N.I. contributions she will not be entitled to any unemployment benefits.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:56 am

I think there are two different types of JSA - contributions based and income based...

Anyway, many people claim JSA and have never worked a day in their life!...it is possible. Just go to your local jobcentre and get the forms.

m000n

Post by m000n » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:10 pm

She can get JSA.not income suport,she can also apply for housing benefit.
for other information
www.direct.gov.uk

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:46 am

The OP asked can his wife claim JSA because she is now actively looking for a job. As I previously suggested she can't claim contribution based JSA because she has made no N.I. contributions.

They may be able to claim income based benefits but their eligibility would be based on their current joint income. And as they have managed to meet the financial requirements for ILR without her working it seems unlikely that they would be eligible.

SMOOTH OPERATOR

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:13 am

damn i was not aware that a spouse visa holder could successfully apply for ILR without working, aint that strange.

im in the same position but ive got an NI and at uni full time but have done some part time. and still applying for jobs as it is.

i have been worried about this issue. i will finish this year in 4 weeks time and hope to find a job soon as my spouse visa ends july 2009.

slim
Newly Registered

Question for Smooth Operator: spousal visa and University?

Post by slim » Mon May 05, 2008 7:37 am

Hi, I just read an old post from you about being in Uni while you had your 2yrs spousal visa. I am on 2yr spouse visa, due to apply for my ILR in Nov 08. I want to find out if you had to pay for homestudent or international student while you were studying,As I would like to go for my MSc to start in sept but I am not sure which fees category I belong, I would prefer to pay home student fees as its cheaper. Please advise anyone.
Thanks
Slim