ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship and Brexit

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

9danielos5
Newly Registered
Poland

British Citizenship and Brexit

Post by 9danielos5 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:45 pm

Hello !

My name is Daniel, I’m 22 and I’m from Poland. I moved to UK when I was 12 (10 years ago) and zi lived here ever since. I would like to apply for a British Citizenship through Naturalisation so I need a Permenent Resident Card. I will have to be a permanent resident for 12 months and then I will be able to apply for a citizenship. As I read today on the gov website, after Brexit will happen (March 2018) PR cards wont be valid and another scheme will be put in place for people and families of EU.

What question is what should I do first?
Should I apply for a PR card and then apply for the citizenship or how does it work in my situation.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship and Brexit

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:51 pm

You need the PR card before you can apply for citizenship.

The date you automatically attain PR is usually before the date printed on the PR card. The 12 months is counted from the date stated in the letter.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

9danielos5
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by 9danielos5 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Hello CR001 !

Thanks for the very quick reply, lets say I get my card in May this year, then I will be able to apply
for my citizenship in May 2019 and since PR cards wont be valid from the date of the Brexit (March 2019) will I still be able to use this card for my citizenship application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:08 pm

You are misunderstanding.

The date you attain PR is different to the date on the PR card.

For example, if you qualify for PR and HO deems you have automatically attained PR on 2nd February 2016 as stated in the letter you will get, but your card says start date from 5th May 2018, the date that is relevant is the one in the letter, and that is the start point of the 12 months, so you could have applied for citizenship on 3rd Feb 2017.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.