ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OBTAINING BRITISH PASSPORT AFTER ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jerseygirl
Newly Registered
Wales

OBTAINING BRITISH PASSPORT AFTER ILR

Post by jerseygirl » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi everyone! This might be the wrong forum but thought I'd ask anyway.

A friend of mine (on 5 year route) is applying for her ILR on August 2018 and she is aware that she need to be in that visa category for 12 months before she can apply for a British passport/citizenship.

My question is: a month or two after ILR is granted and the marriage has broken down and decided to leave her partner, will she still be able to apply for her British passport regardless of the marriage breaking down? Or does she need to stay married for 12 months so she can get her British citizenship? At the moment (4 years of being married) it doesn't look all nice.

Thank you hoping for answers

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Re: OBTAINING BRITISH PASSPORT AFTER ILR

Post by Hstepper07 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 pm

jerseygirl wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:23 pm
Hi everyone! This might be the wrong forum but thought I'd ask anyway.

A friend of mine (on 5 year route) is applying for her ILR on August 2018 and she is aware that she need to be in that visa category for 12 months before she can apply for a British passport/citizenship.

My question is: a month or two after ILR is granted and the marriage has broken down and decided to leave her partner, will she still be able to apply for her British passport regardless of the marriage breaking down? Or does she need to stay married for 12 months so she can get her British citizenship? At the moment (4 years of being married) it doesn't look all nice.

Thank you hoping for answers
Once she gets her indefinite leave, she would not need to stay married to apply for naturalization. She can apply for naturalization 12 months after holding indefinite leave.
She would not need to to wait 12months after indefinite leave to apply for naturalization if she remains married to her British partner

Casa

Re: OBTAINING BRITISH PASSPORT AFTER ILR

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:50 pm

Don't confuse applying for a British passport with naturalisation. She needs to have been granted British citizenship first. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.