ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Internship

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Parizay
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Internship

Post by Parizay » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi
I m on tier 1 visa i m the director of the company I try to open my second business as a saloon in future and I m doing online course level 2 in hair and beauty... And the college give me a letter for internship to get some experience in my related course... is that allow if I get join some salon for couple of hours to learn... just for experience

marcnath

Re: Internship

Post by marcnath » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:17 pm

Should not be an issue if it is unpaid
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

Parizay
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Parizay » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:41 pm

Thank you for your prompt response

natsha
United States of America

Post by natsha » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:14 am

This Is very confusion point running as HO explain in new rules how much Director can work.

You and salon managers know you are learning but an outsider doesn't know you are working as paid or not just learning.

For example, IF HO visit they will see your work might you will in the problem or hard to explain them. So better you make something paperwork with Salon manger as you are unpaid leaning.(Sign Both of you) Or after closing hours of the salon, you can stay and learn that's fine.During working learning That's risky for you because you have the plan to open a new business but didn't open yet.

Parizay
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Parizay » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:17 pm

natsha wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:14 am
This Is very confusion point running as HO explain in new rules how much Director can work.

You and salon managers know you are learning but an outsider doesn't know you are working as paid or not just learning.

For example, IF HO visit they will see your work might you will in the problem or hard to explain them. So better you make something paperwork with Salon manger as you are unpaid leaning.(Sign Both of you) Or after closing hours of the salon, you can stay and learn that's fine.During working learning That's risky for you because you have the plan to open a new business but didn't open yet.
Thank you for the advice. I m doing my level 2.. And the college give me the letter for getting some experience and how it's possible after closing timings of salon where can I learn if there is no client.. I think if I have proper documents it's not a problem...

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:34 am

What is your current business? Is it related to hair and beauty
Professional courses and advancement is very much part of entrepreneurship. Going to college and internships is not

Why not business A pay the salon for "training services"?

Parizay
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Parizay » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:21 pm

[quote=seasky post_id=1610790 time=1521365698 user_id=66768]
What is your current business? Is it related to hair and beauty
Professional courses and advancement is very much part of entrepreneurship. Going to college and internships is not

Why not business A pay the salon for "training services"?
[/quotre]
Dear I m going to do online course in proper college and for some sort of experience ,college give me a letter to get some experience i think it not wrong if i m interested to start second business and getting proper qualification and i paid the college fees already. I M not paying for salon it's not a institution

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:13 pm

You came to this forum seeking advice. It is your call if to adhere to that advice.

You clearly cannot be paid as an intern (if you are caught your visa could and should be revoked) and it is not clear to me how the salon would legally allow you to work there without giving you employment rights. Also most salons don't have an HR department to figure out if your case is legal as per immigration laws, they simply want to see a work visa or EU/UK citizenship. A salon also is not a charity.

From the link below best case I can see is you can shadow another employee but you for example cannot actually give service to a customer.

Lastly a T1e visa is not a student visa nor a backdoor student visa. Of course there is nothing in the visa rules against furthering your studies, as said above, that is expected of good entrepreneurs. I don't know the detail of your case but if I was a CW and found out an T1e was studying near full time in college and then was full time as an intern, I would on the balance of probabilities consider that ingenuine. (again this may not be your case at all and making the point to help you to make sure a CW does not think. People have been declined for working from a virtual office)

https://www.gov.uk/employment-rights-for-interns

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 pm

@Parizay The best thing is to ignore @seasky and not to keep responding.
Reading @seasky's posts, I get the impression he/she is a very smart person who has done well and does have good intentions.
Unfortunately, it appears that most of time, the responses are biased with personal opinions and prejudices. That leads to misleading interpretations.
Even in this post and the link that was posted on internships, the section on Student Internships (which I believe applies to you) was conveniently ignored.
Again, there is an unsubstantiated comment about "people being declined for working from a virtual office". Maybe @seasky has access to information that is not publicly available, but at least in this forum I have not come across a case where that has been quoted as the only reason for failing a genuineness test. In fact, there have been many cases where people with virtual offices have received approvals, even without interviews or additional scrutiny.
The immigration rules are clear on what you can't study under a Tier 1 E visa or rather where you need additional permission to do such studies (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ertificate)
Your description did not seem to fit any of the categories listed here that needs an ATAS certificate, but it is worth for you to evaluate that yourself.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

Parizay
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Parizay » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:41 pm

marcnath wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 pm
@Parizay The best thing is to ignore @seasky and not to keep responding.
Reading @seasky's posts, I get the impression he/she is a very smart person who has done well and does have good intentions.
Unfortunately, it appears that most of time, the responses are biased with personal opinions and prejudices. That leads to misleading interpretations.
Even in this post and the link that was posted on internships, the section on Student Internships (which I believe applies to you) was conveniently ignored.
Again, there is an unsubstantiated comment about "people being declined for working from a virtual office". Maybe @seasky has access to information that is not publicly available, but at least in this forum I have not come across a case where that has been quoted as the only reason for failing a genuineness test. In fact, there have been many cases where people with virtual offices have received approvals, even without interviews or additional scrutiny.
The immigration rules are clear on what you can't study under a Tier 1 E visa or rather where you need additional permission to do such studies (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ertificate)
Your description did not seem to fit any of the categories listed here that needs an ATAS certificate, but it is worth for you to evaluate that yourself.
my question is simple... I have a office already I run the consultancy firm but I want to start my second business as a saloon with my sister but I don't have a proper qualification that why I m doing the course in hair and beauty in the meanwhile during the course I can get some experience in any of the saloon to learn and I have a letter of the college which mentioned that I m not working there just get experience... Is that allow please advice

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Parizay wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:41 pm

my question is simple... I have a office already I run the consultancy firm but I want to start my second business as a saloon with my sister but I don't have a proper qualification that why I m doing the course in hair and beauty in the meanwhile during the course I can get some experience in any of the saloon to learn and I have a letter of the college which mentioned that I m not working there just get experience... Is that allow please advice
If you look at this forum at the early posts (e.g. 2011) visas were given fast 2-3 weeks. A lot has changed in T1e* and the writing is on the wall, they are taking genuineness much more seriously, interviewing a lot more (long detailed interviews, on business premises, though clearly not focusing on what is important, but that is a bureaucracy) and decisions commonly take over a year (!!!)

My opinion is genuineness is going to get even more scrutinised as we go forward, we of course do not know for sure, just like a 1-2 years ago we had no idea interviews would be so prevalent. The reason genuineness is being scrutinised to a much higher level is there seems to be much in-genuineness in the route. I have written elsewhere on what we see on this forum, but when someone asks "I have gotten my ILR, can I now close my business and get a job" it is pretty clear she was never a genuine entrepreneur (many more examples here...)

My over arching point is do what you have to do from the lens of a CW will be interviewing you and things need to make sense.

I suspect if when entering the route the business plan you had submitted was "I will take college courses, then intern for a while and then open a hair salon" you would not have gotten a visa (BTW that is very different from "I have been in the hair care industry for a decade and I am now ready to launch, with all my experience a hair salon, I have the capital, I have the team ready to hire and my market differentiation is XXXXX", that is clearly a legitimate entrepreneurial endeavour.

Now you are allowed to change routes and businesses in the T1e route (I did) but usually it should "make sense" in my case it was akin to "I was developing advanced optical components and pivoted to making whole photographic systems"

You are allowed to be a consultant and a hair salon owner. Just make sure all the dots connect and as said above make sure you are not a pain intern.

*the route has become useless to entrepreneurs who have to travel often. So hair salon in Derby, two jobs, fine, developing a new hair spray technology and needing to travel the world to promote it, develop it, raise capital for it, manufacture it. what could be a multi-million opportunity, dozens of jobs including high paid chemistry PHds, marketing execs, etc is dead in the water. What's the logic of that?

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:46 pm

Parizay wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:41 pm
And, in my opinion, the simple answer I gave initially stays.
There is nothing in the immigration rules that I can see that will stop you.

Parizay
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Parizay » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:12 am

Thank you Marcnath...

natsha
United States of America

Post by natsha » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:49 pm

I would say she taking the risk.

The only option signs a proper paperwork agreement or best option online you can get training.

Best of luck.