ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR From Ancestry Visa Unemployed

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vxc
Newly Registered

ILR From Ancestry Visa Unemployed

Post by vxc » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:27 am

Hi, Was wondering if I could still get ILR from my Ancestral visa, if I'm unemployed? I had been living with a partner for a bit, (first few years of my visa) and am now am seeking employment.

Even if I begin work now and have my last two years before my visa ends as being employed, will my initial few years effect my ILR application? I have savings and other income so depending on employment search may still choose to continue to stay unemployed, but would this be possible to then be given ILR in either situation?

Also, does time spent outside of the UK during the visa go from the time the visa was issued, or my entrance date into the UK? Because after getting my visa I didn't enter the UK right away, but 9months after.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR From Ancestry Visa Unemployed

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:09 am

It is an 'employment visa' so you should have evidence of economic activity. There is no requirement that you must have work for every day for the full 5 years though.

Residence in your case will count from the date you entered the UK as it is more than 180 days after your visa was granted.

You will therefore have a shortfall to meet the requirements of ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vxc
Newly Registered

Post by vxc » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:27 am

Thanks for the reply. So, I'd not meet the requirements for ILR? (Because I'd not have the full 5 years length of stay here before could apply, when my visa ended?)

If I got my current Ancestral visa extended can I then apply for ILR after I'd been here for that lost 9months on the extension? Or If you get an extension does the previous time spent here get erased and the 5year time start again from scratch the same way if I was to leave the UK and get another Ancestral visa to then re-enter again?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:53 am

If you apply for a 5 year extension, you can apply for ILR at any point once you have 5 years residence. Your previous time in the UK is not 'lost'.

You will have to pay the visa fee (going up in April) and the IHS, currently £200 per year and likely going up to £400 per year, payable up front for the full 5 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.