ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship revocation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

zaza7625
Member of Standing
Georgia

Citizenship revocation

Post by zaza7625 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Hi all.
I have read in citizeninformation site about the revocation of irish citizenship but it turnes out bit unclear for me. They say that if a person stays out of the country 7 years without a reasonable excuse, he or she looses citizenship. What does it mean,and is it realy so and by what circumstances it happens?
Thanks

broli
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Citizenship revocation

Post by broli » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:37 am

Hi

All i know is that you have to register at the Irish embassy of the country where you live ...
If you dont register for 7 years then you might lose.

Its a form you have to fill in every year i think , in that form you have to confirm that you intend to keep your citizenship.

My sister had to do the same , when she left the EU for USA with her new European citizenship.

zaza7625
Member of Standing
Georgia

Post by zaza7625 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:56 am

Thanks for reply.

Iam just wondering what happens after 7 years i am signing declaration form annualy? Another 7 years start or i would not have to continue signing the form every year?
They state during 7 years period for each year.

Thanks

broli
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ireland

Post by broli » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:08 am

if you are signins declaration lol nothing happens its only if you dont :mrgreen:
submit a query at DFA.ie they will respond .

For exemple i asked them if my child is born abroad (from naturalized parent ) , if he will get the irish citizenship. they responded as follows. its just to show you they give really responses.
------------------------------------------------------------

Under the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Acts, 1956 to 2004, the basic requirement for obtaining citizenship by descent, through Foreign Births Registration is that an applicant’s parent was an Irish citizen at the time of the applicant’s birth so yes, your son born in Canada is eligible for Irish citizenship through foreign birth registration.

Please note that you must apply through the Irish Embassy in Toronton if your son is resident in Canada .

For information on how to apply for Irish citizenship through foreign birth registration please follow this link: https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... eign-birth

Yours sincerely
XXXXXX

Consular section

zaza7625
Member of Standing
Georgia

Post by zaza7625 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks broli.
I fully understand what you mean but when those 7 years expires,do i still need to continue signing the form?

broli
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ireland

Post by broli » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:30 am

Yeah definitely each time you do sign the form its reset the 7 years ...