ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Interview Feedback weird

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

pranjam

Interview Feedback weird

Post by pranjam » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi

I have been in the Uk recently on HSMP last week only I had given two interviews. Got the feedback from them today which was really weird.

I mean when the interview was going on in both of them it was great for a minute I thought the job was in the bag but unfortunately none of them materialised.

In one interview no technical questions were asked and the reason for my rejection was "technically unsound", in the second the tech interview was perfect the tech guy even said "you are very good technically" and "we will definitely get back to you" and yet a similar feedback "technically not very sound", I mean how is it possible.

How can they say i am technical unsound when first they do not ask a technical question and second when there technical guy himself praises me in the interview.

Is it just me or has it happened to anybody else as well and what should I do move to contractual jobs ???Any advice

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:37 pm

I don't want to sound like a sadist or to discourage you...but WELCOME TO UK...!

Never be taken in by the nice words spoken to you face to face....

tral_hsmp

Post by tral_hsmp » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:11 pm

Hi

I am in UK for more than 2 months now, was able to secure just one interview, which lasted for 30 minutes. 3-4 technical questions and then no job. Feedback was profile not matching, then why they took my interview if my profile wasn't matching.

It is like that here, they want robots how have whole knowledge loaded in them

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:37 pm

SKUK wrote:I don't want to sound like a sadist or to discourage you...but WELCOME TO UK...!

Never be taken in by the nice words spoken to you face to face....
Its not about the nice words its just that I know how my technical interview went and so did the guy taking it so they just couldnt have said that they rejected me on the basis of my technical skills its really just a lie I dont know what the real reason was but they should have mentioned that.

Anyways if you know UK so well why not go back to India I mean a few more interviews like that for me and Im back to India wont waste anymore money and time here in any case I was hot property in that job market.

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:43 pm

In UK, any words of compliments such as - "You look great", "You are so good", "You are just amazing" ... please just believe 50%. It's the matter of being polite, but it might not be the matter of truth.

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:29 pm

pranjam wrote:Its not about the nice words its just that I know how my technical interview went and so did the guy taking it so they just couldnt have said that they rejected me on the basis of my technical skills its really just a lie I dont know what the real reason was but they should have mentioned that.

Anyways if you know UK so well why not go back to India I mean a few more interviews like that for me and Im back to India wont waste anymore money and time here in any case I was hot property in that job market.
As I said in my post, I never meant to mock at your situation in my previous post and NO I m not an expert on UK.

I have been through the same situation and I know how it feels...In fact when they used the words "Lovely, Genius, Brilliant " I thought this is it but used to hear back saying " We have selected another suitable candidate" and felt very depressed, didn't know what was I doing wrong...

Not just me, my wife attended interviews in her field and heard these niceties as well. But end result was no job.....

WorkPermitIssues

Post by WorkPermitIssues » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:17 am

Being polite upfront is a professional gesture and not a literal sense. That is UK for all of us. Every country has its own culture. Professionaly speaking, apart from NOVICE recruiters none would be harsh on you by telling that you are average or not good at all.

People have diff professional habits while conversing. Some would say "Excellent" a few times, when they actually meant "Oh ok". Just like in US, clients would say "Awesome" on your work, only to kick your butt the next moment on some other topic. :)

Fortunately for me, I never failed a UK interview in first 2 years when I was here between 2000 and 2002. In all i attended 3 interviews and all went through with one shot for the contracts.

Infact with one of the govt bodies, I finished the interview in flat 15 mins with Department heads. I thought i am almost gone and rejected until my employer got a call that the client wanted an answer in one hour. The rate was upgraded by 5 pounds an hour and position from programmer analyst to TEchnical MAnager. During that entire interview process, i could not even feel that they were happy about my interview. Well, thats UK for all of us. :)

It was only after the expiry of the 3rd contract in the UK that i started depreciating, but i know that was for my own follies as i was not concentrating and working hard enough to upgrade my technical knowledge and skills.

I also got 95% of recruiters call who were absolutely genuine.

I suggest do not take this personally and give yourself some time to get accustomed to the professional and social culture here. It will definitely be not the same as India. You have to collect bits and pieces and make 2+2=4 here. :)

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Even i also have the same experience as pranjam. I came last week to UK and gave two interviews for permanent roles.
I was very confident in one role and the employer discussed about the offer and benefits also. In the interview they asked about the projects i had worked. The reason for rejection given to me was that i did not explain the projects in depth.

December31

Interviews UK

Post by December31 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

I landed here in London 2 weeks back(from India), I only had one interview for a permanent role, everything seemed to go well with the interview, the next day I mailed them only to know that I was not selected. The reason given was they found someone else who is technically more advanced. But the they are still searching for the vacancy in job sites! They asked about my family and came to know that my wife is also working, they might have thought that it will not be feasible for me to work for long(as the job is in a remote location in UK, where my wife cannot find job). I am an SAP ABAP consultant.

daisy_ktm
BANNED

Post by daisy_ktm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:22 pm

FRIENDS,

NO JOB HERE..LETS BE CLEAR...GO BACK TO HOME COUNTRY REQUEST PREVIOUS HR MANAGER TO GIVE BACK INDIAN JOB.I THINK THATS THE ONLY WAY...

NO JOB HERE AT ALL..

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:12 pm

daisy_ktm wrote:FRIENDS,

NO JOB HERE..LETS BE CLEAR...GO BACK TO HOME COUNTRY REQUEST PREVIOUS HR MANAGER TO GIVE BACK INDIAN JOB.I THINK THATS THE ONLY WAY...

NO JOB HERE AT ALL..

Dude, you seem to be totally frustrated. Why are you pasting this content in all the posts? I have been reading most of the topics and last one is always this. You could have opened a new thread to communicate your thoughts.

I sincerely hope that you get the job you are looking for.

Vikram
Citizenship applied on 13th Oct @ NCS Wandsworth...

netacct

Post by netacct » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:17 pm

This is a mechanical/artificial world. What people say/show upfront could be very different from what they really mean/think/feel etc..

I just filter those Brilliant words...because you/I really cant make it out what lies inside? :lol:

hsmp_prey
Newly Registered

Post by hsmp_prey » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:23 pm

Ok, I normally don't post here, just read. But as HSMP since 2004, I can give you some useful advice.

Not being prejudice or dearly beloved. But fact is in UK you will find such response everywhere. Majority is very nice at your face, but you can’t even imagine what they can do behind your back. Backbiting is culture here, not even with aliens, but even within. Your experience is just as same as I have many times when I came here. I would suggest DON’T BELIEVE THEM until you have been handed offer letter.

Just to share with you someone’s story to show you beloved you can and would face here... one guy applied for a job which matches best with his experience, launched by recruitment company, no response, weeks later the same job was relisted due to not enough or skilled people applied yet, he applied again,, no response. Next; amended his CV a little bit, name to sounds like English and removed everything which gives a hint of being Asian, applied again,, received an interview call next day!!!!

Lesson: Asian sucks!!

As someone said already: WELCOME TO UK

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:42 pm

hsmp_prey wrote: Just to share with you someone’s story to show you beloved you can and would face here.
Lesson: Asian sucks!!
How can OP's question be related to beloved ? I really wonder, why people use this word quite often, only to lessen it's seriousness. beloved is very serious issue, and don't cry about it , every now and then. If it is there, what makes you to stay here for 4 years ?

About OP question, don't be dishearted by interview replies in first week itself. Nothing is easy in this world. All the best for job hunt. Surely , you will hit right chord.

hsmp_prey
Newly Registered

Post by hsmp_prey » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:57 pm

How can OP's question be related to beloved ? I really wonder, why people use this word quite often, only to lessen it's seriousness. beloved is very serious issue, and don't cry about it , every now and then. If it is there, what makes you to stay here for 4 years ?

About OP question, don't be dishearted by interview replies in first week itself. Nothing is easy in this world. All the best for job hunt. Surely , you will hit right chord
Come on

before moaning about word "beloved" try to search what comes under this law, it’s not that sensitive what you probably are trying to portray.

If you are Brit, you might never agree to this, if not, you are simply ignorant!

I am glad you used word "stay" and that’s exactly I am doing here. There's hell a lot of difference in staying and living, if you know what I mean!!

Coming back to OPs answer, I am not dishearten you at all, just trying to tell you what is reality. And knowing some origin or people very well will only boost your public dealing skills. Otherwise you will get mentally sick by some people attitude/behaviour in this country.

However that doesn’t mean all Brits are same, there are many lovely people out there but hard to find.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:30 pm

well,If agent wants your CV ,he will call u 4/5 times in an hour, to get your CV/ask Questions...But when he doent pass your CV/u dont clear the interview, he will NEVER be on his dsk/out of office..
Its a need based business...If they need you they will call u many times, if YOU need them ,they r never around!!!!..Simple...

Frankly, if they dont care, even you shdn't care, if u find a beter job/offer ,kick them....

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:55 pm

hsmp_prey wrote: before moaning about word "beloved" try to search what comes under this law, it’s not that sensitive what you probably are trying to portray.
It is you, who is moaning about beloved, not me, and you dragged OP question to beloved. Can you explain how, OP question is related to example given by you. He was just furstated by feedback of his interviews. But, isn't this normal. This can happen to anybody, even to a brit. There are succesful example of people getting jobs easily,too. I remember reading last week, some one has managed to get job interviewing from India itself. So how can you justify your example.
There's hell a lot of difference in staying and living, if you know what I mean!!
No , I dont know what you mean. Can you tell me what is that difference, it is for sure, that nobody is forcing you to work here.

Again, you mentioned about backbiting, people smiling on face , etc. But, is it unique to UK. It is everywhere. More in countries we come from(by the way I'm not brit). It's human nature, nothing british in it.

netacct

Post by netacct » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:06 pm

beloved is everywhere in the world, every country/society/culture etc etc...

I am from India and living in UK since last 4.5 years. I must say that UK is very fair country and that is why million of immigrants live here and more millions wants to come here....

Those who don't like, they should not come here...you are not forced here...

jd
Member of Standing

Post by jd » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:15 pm

I'm in software dev from Pakistan. When I cam here in Jan this year I thought that people are afraid about even Pakistan's name. I was thinking that whenever there is Pakistan's name, people think about terrorists (THIS IS NOT REALITY THOUGH - SOMEONE WITH BAD MIND HAS NO NATIONALITY, NO RELIGION). I was afraid that I won't be able to find a good job.

I've got a quite reasonable job offer after 1.5 month and after 6-7 interviews, and started working from 1st April. These are all white and local guys and very lovely. I know that they need me but still I won't want to leave them unless there is a strong reason.

I just wanted to share my experience. Sorry if I talked more about Pakistan and what mostly people think about Pakistan (Obviously that's not reality). Please forgive me for caps letters.

Regards,
JD

hsmp_prey
Newly Registered

Post by hsmp_prey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:17 am

jd wrote:I'm in software dev from Pakistan. When I cam here in Jan this year I thought that people are afraid about even Pakistan's name. I was thinking that whenever there is Pakistan's name, people think about terrorists (THIS IS NOT REALITY THOUGH - SOMEONE WITH BAD MIND HAS NO NATIONALITY, NO RELIGION). I was afraid that I won't be able to find a good job.

I've got a quite reasonable job offer after 1.5 month and after 6-7 interviews, and started working from 1st April. These are all white and local guys and very lovely. I know that they need me but still I won't want to leave them unless there is a strong reason.

I just wanted to share my experience. Sorry if I talked more about Pakistan and what mostly people think about Pakistan (Obviously that's not reality). Please forgive me for caps letters.

Regards,
JD
You idiots are always apologetic... what the f*** is wrong of being Pakistani? your kind of breed make them think bad about Pakistan because you guys lack in selfrespect, don't stand for right, afraid, afraid and afraid. Look at your tone how depressed it is!!

I have few gooras working under me, I know much better at least than you. FYI England is few of top dearly beloved nations on planet, and so do its colonies, Aus, NZ, SA etc.

"SOMEONE WITH BAD MIND HAS NO NATIONALITY, NO RELIGION" these words better in books, but if you believe it these in real world, you live in coco's land. Grow up and face the reality.

jd
Member of Standing

Post by jd » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:31 am

My friend hsmp_prey,

Good, very good.

I'm sorry if I hurt you or anyone else! Nothing is wrong with Pakistan, we are proud to be Pakistani, never ashamed of it but ...

I think there is nothing harm in accepting reality. Everyone is dearly beloved when it comes to them self, but it still varies person to person. I know we are dearly beloved too (if you talk like this). If you know/remember the time when Afghan migrants came in Pakistan.

For your information, I'm working on a senior position and have some local subordinates working with me and please mind your words!

I still own these words.... You have right not to agree with me.
"SOMEONE WITH BAD MIND HAS NO NATIONALITY, NO RELIGION"

Regards,
JD
hsmp_prey wrote:
jd wrote:I'm in software dev from Pakistan. When I cam here in Jan this year I thought that people are afraid about even Pakistan's name. I was thinking that whenever there is Pakistan's name, people think about terrorists (THIS IS NOT REALITY THOUGH - SOMEONE WITH BAD MIND HAS NO NATIONALITY, NO RELIGION). I was afraid that I won't be able to find a good job.

Regards,
JD
You idiots are always apologetic... what the f*** is wrong of being Pakistani? your kind of breed make them think bad about Pakistan because you guys lack in selfrespect, don't stand for right, afraid, afraid and afraid. Look at your tone how depressed it is!!

I have few gooras working under me, I know much better at least than you. FYI England is few of top dearly beloved nations on planet, and so do its colonies, Aus, NZ, SA etc.

"SOMEONE WITH BAD MIND HAS NO NATIONALITY, NO RELIGION" these words better in books, but if you believe it these in real world, you live in coco's land. Grow up and face the reality.

hsmp_prey
Newly Registered

Post by hsmp_prey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:49 am

My friend hsmp_prey,

Good, very good.

I'm sorry if I hurt you or anyone else! Nothing is wrong with Pakistan, we are proud to be Pakistani, never ashamed of it but ...

I think there is nothing harm in accepting reality. Everyone is dearly beloved when it comes to them self, but it still varies person to person. I know we are dearly beloved too (if you talk like this). If you know/remember the time when Afghan migrants came in Pakistan.

For your information, I'm working on a senior position and have some local subordinates working with me and please mind your words!

I still own these words.... You have right not to agree with me.
"SOMEONE WITH BAD MIND HAS NO NATIONALITY, NO RELIGION"
Hang on a second, do you mind telling me about Afghan mystery you are talking here? Do you have somewhere on top of your head that Pakistan is the country with maximum refugees in the world?

Trust me JD your thoughts will not going to impress anyone in UK, unless you start talking bad about your country and religion. I am sincerely glad you are in good position, but wait few years, you will see clear picture.

let me tell you recent example, last night on my way back home, car in front of me stopped in middle of road, car behind me press horn couple of times, the guy came out of car in front of me, he saw me (Asian) and 2nd thing he did was hit my bonnet with full power which left big dent in the bonnet and then start swearing at me before fleeing off. I clearly saw him coming out of car very patiently, but as soon as he saw an asian in the car, he was out of his mind. I went to police station and they did standard paper work and there you go, I know nothing will happen.

Its my fresh experience of last night!!

I would have f****d him at the spot, but that would have left me in deep trouble due to my skin!!!

netacct

Post by netacct » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:05 am

hsmp_prey why don't you leave this country then?

Where do you come from and what is your opinion about your own country?

hsmp_prey
Newly Registered

Post by hsmp_prey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:18 am

netacct wrote:hsmp_prey why don't you leave this country then?

I don't want to leave 3, 4 British families who I am supporting by paying huge taxes to govt... Joking

what a stupid question by the way... its not necessary if you are not happy from one place you leave it, is it? what a childish thoughts...

If you have been pushed back in some country or victim of beloved, does that mean you leave that?

Are you telling me that Jews should leave EU as what happened with them here not very long ago?

Are you telling me black people should leave the US because what mostly happen to them?

What is this? not beloved?

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:21 am

hsmp_prey wrote:
netacct wrote:hsmp_prey why don't you leave this country then?

I don't want to leave 3, 4 British families who I am supporting by paying huge taxes to govt... Joking

what a stupid question by the way... its not necessary if you are not happy from one place you leave it, is it? what a childish thoughts...

If you have been pushed back in some country or victim of beloved, does that mean you leave that?

Are you telling me that Jews should leave EU as what happened with them here not very long ago?

Are you telling me black people should leave the US because what mostly happen to them?

What is this? not beloved?
hsmp_prey, If you don't have constructive argument , stop posting. BTW, you have succesfully diverted this thread.
Last edited by gotcha on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.