ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US girlfriend coming on visa waiver

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Mick9320
Newly Registered

US girlfriend coming on visa waiver

Post by Mick9320 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:24 am

Hi there,

I’m new to the forum and was just looking for some advice. I know this topic has been covered but I can’t find anything up to date.

My situation is as follows,

My girlfriend of three years is coming to visit me in two weeks from the US, she will be coming on the visa waiver until September. It will be her first time in the UK, as I’ve been flying to see her all the other times due to her family circumstances. She has a return flight booked and we will follow all immigration rules. However as you can imagine I’ve read some of the horror stories and I’m a little worried.
She is currently on a gap year, and will retur to the states for uni and to work.
She will be staying with me and i’ll be funding her stay, however she does have some Of her own money too

I’m trying to be as prepared as possible, and can provide my payslips, bank statements/ write a letter for the IO to see etc.

She is fairly shy, so no over talking issues hopefully!

Just seeing if anyone has any more advice on how I can make sure things run smoothly? The last thing I want is her being bounced!

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: US girlfriend coming on visa waiver

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:37 am

6 months is not a 'visit'.

When you say she has 'some money', how much does she have exactly??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Mick9320
Newly Registered

Post by Mick9320 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:02 am

Well she’s not living here is she as she’s going home you idi
CR001 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:37 am
6 months is not a 'visit'.

When you say she has 'some money', how much does she have exactly??
ot

noun
an act of going to see a person or place as a guest, tourist, etc.
"I'll pay him a visit soon"
synonyms: social call, call
"after reading the play she paid a visit to the poet"

Since she is returning home after seeing me. I think you’ll find it is in fact a visit. If she was going to be living here, I’d have applied for a spouse visa, wouldn’t I? Maybe try and reply without being a sarky prat

Mick9320
Newly Registered

Post by Mick9320 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:04 am

Also it’s 5 months, maths not your strong point? :|

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:08 am

I will leave others to comment further!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Mick9320
Newly Registered

Post by Mick9320 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:15 am

Apologies, I’m just very stressed as I don’t get to see her often and this is a chance at a longer stretch together. We aren’t trying to flout any rules, I just want to ensure things go smoothly. As I say she’s going to be returning home within the 6 months allowed on the visitor visa. She will be bringing 1000 dollars of her own and i’ll Be looking after the rest, I work and can fund it

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:26 pm

If you want to continue to post on the form, I suggest you do so with respect. Many members are 'stressed' but don't resort to insulting a Moderator (or anyone else for that matter) who has tried to help you. :idea:

Many non-visa nationals are refused entry if they are unable to submit the same evidence of ties to their home country that would have been required in a pre-entry visa. More importantly than your sponsorship, your girlfriend will have to convince the IO at UK Border Control that she is financially self-sufficient in the US and if she isn't currently employed that may present a challenge. Even more so with a boyfriend living in the UK.

As CR001 has already correctly commented, the IO may well consider that a full 5/6 month visit is too long.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Mick9320
Newly Registered

Post by Mick9320 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Thank you for your reply, this is what I was after. Rather than someone just going “it’s not a visit” which I felt wasn’t very helpful at all, and therefore immediately rubbed me up the wrong way.

Taking on board whatyou have said, is there anything else I can do to help? She has university sorted for September, will this help?

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:01 pm

Documented evidence of University. Itinerary of how she intends to spend her time in the UK as a 'visitor/tourist'. Her bank statements showing she is financially self-sufficient.
This is apart from your sponsor's financial evidence of costs you will cover (how much per week etc) and your ability to do so.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:06 pm

Mick9320 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:35 pm
Thank you for your reply, this is what I was after. Rather than someone just going “it’s not a visit” which I felt wasn’t very helpful at all,
Sometimes we tell the truth, even if it is not what posters want to hear. If the Entry Clearance officer decides that 5 months is not a visit (a reasonable assumption), then it doesn't matter if it is 'helpful' to you or 'rubs you the wrong way'. She will be denied entry and returned the U.S. and your feeling on the matter are irrelevant. And then any subsequent attempts the enter UK for any reason will be given extra scrutiny and she will have to apply for a visa. Thus you should seriously consider a visit that is far more likely to be allowed and provide her with a positive UK travel history. Something on the order a few weeks should suffice.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:58 pm

It's also fair to say US citizens are the most frequent transgressors in this regard.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

thsths

Post by thsths » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:30 am

Casa wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:26 pm
Many non-visa nationals are refused entry if they are unable to submit the same evidence of ties to their home country that would have been required in a pre-entry visa. More importantly than your sponsorship, your girlfriend will have to convince the IO at UK Border Control that she is financially self-sufficient in the US and if she isn't currently employed that may present a challenge. Even more so with a boyfriend living in the UK.
I agree - the question of return is going to be key. If there is a clear intention to return to the US and resume studies (and there is funding for it etc), it might work. I would also explain why she is on a gap year. If there is any gap in the story, a refusal is quite possible.