ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Peaceman
Newly Registered
India

Surrendring Indian passport

Post by Peaceman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:01 am

Dear All,

I am a British citizen from 2011, my wife is an Indian citizen with ILR status in UK and my daughter is 4 years old, who was born in India and acquired Indian citizenship by birth. I applied for Right of Abode certificate on her Indian passport from India as I was a British citizen during her birth. She has been holding that for nearly 4 years now and I am planning to apply for her British passport (Home office already confirmed this " For anyone born after 1 January 1983 they can only have right of abode if they are also a British citizen). I have been told, she doesn't need to apply for Naturalisation and that she can directly apply for British passport with her birth certificate. My confusion here is, if her British passport application is successful, she has to renounce her Indian citizenship. While looking at Renunciation of Indian passport application, I need to submit naturalization certificate. But in my daughter's case, she wouldn't have a naturalization certificate when she applies to surrender her Indian passport. Please kindly advise me, will there be any problems while surrendering her Indian passport. The plan is to apply for OCI after she acquires British Passport.

Your kind advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you