ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long to get US citizenship?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

alex132
- thin ice -

Post by alex132 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:32 pm

I am sorry that I am new to this immigration to US>

Any website to read about how to get US citizenship?

I am holding a PhD in engineering in UK and plan to apply for post-doc position in US university (Aiming low standard uni). As UK need 5 years and visa fees is expensive.

vinny

Re: How long to get US citizenship?

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:45 pm

See also Apply for Citizenship > go backwards > > Green Card Eligibility Categories > etc.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Astarta
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by Astarta » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:38 pm

First you have to become a permanent legal resident - through marriage, green card or asylum status. Then you have wait for 3-5 years (depending on your case). Then apply for naturalization and wait again - for at least 6 months. You can evaluate your chances taking a short online quiz here - third party weblink removed by moderator
It’s created by professional immigration lawyers. The whole quiz will take you no more than a few minutes but spare you plenty of time and money.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Astarta wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:38 pm
First you have to become a permanent legal resident - through marriage, green card or asylum status. Then you have wait for 3-5 years (depending on your case). Then apply for naturalization and wait again - for at least 6 months. You can evaluate your chances taking a short online quiz here - third party weblink removed by moderator
It’s created by professional immigration lawyers. The whole quiz will take you no more than a few minutes but spare you plenty of time and money.
Kindly refrain from posting weblink to third party immigration advisor websites.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.