ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on old passport after naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anonyMouse
inactive
New Zealand

Travelling on old passport after naturalisation

Post by anonyMouse » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:30 pm

I have had my application for naturalisation approved (hooray!) and have a date set for the ceremony. When I applied, I applied for a British passport at the same time. I have the earliest ceremony date I possibly can, but need to travel soon after the ceremony date to Europe (within a week).

Obviously I'm unlikely to have my British passport in time to travel. Given I will be a British citizen at that point, am I able to travel on my existing New Zealand passport, re-enter the country on this passport, and then collect my British passport when I return from Europe a few weeks later? If so, what should I tell border security when I re-enter? That is, do I tell them I am British, but don't have passport, or re-enter as a New Zealander?

Is there anything else I can try to be able to travel soon after my ceremony?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Backer
Member of Standing

Re: Travelling on old passport after naturalisation

Post by Backer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:58 pm

That should not be a problem. You can carry your naturalization certificate with you to present to border control upon entry proving to them you are British. There is no legal obligation as far as I know for British citizens to enter the UK with a British passport.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:02 pm

Once you have been granted British citizenship you are not permitted to enter the UK as a non-visa national visitor.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:21 pm

Casa wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:02 pm
Once you have been granted British citizenship you are not permitted to enter the UK as a non-visa national visitor.
That is correct hence he has to possibly produce his naturalization certificate (along with his NZ passsport) to prove he is British