ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP Card processing time (NTL application)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rays2018
Newly Registered
India

Re: BRP Card processing time (NTL application)

Post by rays2018 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:06 pm

I am in similar situation. I have received my ILR in August 2010. I have sent my application on 22-Jan-18 to transfer my ILR from passport to the NTL biometric card.

Received letter today (01-Feb-18) with a case number and saying this will take 6 months, which is driving me crazy.

Not sure, why it will take six months, since they will just transfer my ILR to the card. Extremely unfair, if it takes that long.

rays2018
Newly Registered
India

Post by rays2018 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:15 pm

Can somebody reply whether I can convert my postal application to premium application now. I have already applied through post and paid £711 for myself, wife and child.
Thinking of going down the premium route, if it takes 6 months to get the BRP card.

OmegaA
Newly Registered

Post by OmegaA » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:52 pm

There isxno formal procedure for this, so you csn only do it via your MP or Home Secretary, I guess - Home Office is purposefully kept isolated so that you could not reach them

Sent passport 19/9/2017 along with application
2/10/2017 Home Office acknowledged my application
4/10/2017 Got letter from Home Office with reference for biometric test
6/10/2017 Gave biometric scan for Home Office in Windsor. Paid £19
Received NTL card on 7/2/2018
Received my passport 9/2/2018

The rules state that you cannot apply for a job with ILR in an expired passport, ILR is valid in an old passport only if you reside. I guess this was done intentionally to completely phase out visas in passports so that everybody had the same type of the immigration document. However, I find it more than strange why it takes them so long to change ILR to NTL and charge such a high fee (confident it is completely legal profit making and politically motivated to discourage Immigration approach)

My case was not usual one - I am in the UK since 1997, got ILR in 2008 or 2007, Home Office wanted to deport me in 2009, but thanks to my wife I am still here. I have strong links with the UK as both my wife and daughter are British, plus my only brother is now also British. However, Border Agency used to have a glitch in the system and stopped me each time for a few hours (including body and luggage search) when I was crossing UK border until I wrote to Home Office asking them to correct it (the record was showing as if I was deported, but it was not correct and the Border Agency had to verify this each time I could legally reside in the UK, this usually took hours. Because of this, my wife was totally petrified of the Home Office and kept asking me not to engage Home Office at all, but glad laws work here)
When I applied for NTL, I put the records of the Immigration Tribunal that decided not to deport me plus old letters from Home Secretary, my MP and other documents that clearly stated Home Office agreed to stop pursuing my deportation and I should be treated as a person with ILR. I also included copies of passports of my British family, marriage certificate, so that they had all information right in front of them and there was no way they could legally refuse me NTL
To be honest, I thought I will get into the fight with the Home Office including court proceedings. Glad I now have NTL document with me now.
I only wonder why does it expire on 31 December 2024 (maybe so that I had to change my photo) as it is No Time Limit cars, and if I be charged huge fees again

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:07 pm

OmegaA wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:52 pm
There isxno formal procedure for this, so you csn only do it via your MP or Home Secretary, I guess - Home Office is purposefully kept isolated so that you could not reach them

Sent passport 19/9/2017 along with application
2/10/2017 Home Office acknowledged my application
4/10/2017 Got letter from Home Office with reference for biometric test
6/10/2017 Gave biometric scan for Home Office in Windsor. Paid £19
Received NTL card on 7/2/2018
Received my passport 9/2/2018

The rules state that you cannot apply for a job with ILR in an expired passport, ILR is valid in an old passport only if you reside. I guess this was done intentionally to completely phase out visas in passports so that everybody had the same type of the immigration document. However, I find it more than strange why it takes them so long to change ILR to NTL and charge such a high fee (confident it is completely legal profit making and politically motivated to discourage Immigration approach)

My case was not usual one - I am in the UK since 1997, got ILR in 2008 or 2007, Home Office wanted to deport me in 2009, but thanks to my wife I am still here. I have strong links with the UK as both my wife and daughter are British, plus my only brother is now also British. However, Border Agency used to have a glitch in the system and stopped me each time for a few hours (including body and luggage search) when I was crossing UK border until I wrote to Home Office asking them to correct it (the record was showing as if I was deported, but it was not correct and the Border Agency had to verify this each time I could legally reside in the UK, this usually took hours. Because of this, my wife was totally petrified of the Home Office and kept asking me not to engage Home Office at all, but glad laws work here)
When I applied for NTL, I put the records of the Immigration Tribunal that decided not to deport me plus old letters from Home Secretary, my MP and other documents that clearly stated Home Office agreed to stop pursuing my deportation and I should be treated as a person with ILR. I also included copies of passports of my British family, marriage certificate, so that they had all information right in front of them and there was no way they could legally refuse me NTL
To be honest, I thought I will get into the fight with the Home Office including court proceedings. Glad I now have NTL document with me now.
I only wonder why does it expire on 31 December 2024 (maybe so that I had to change my photo) as it is No Time Limit cars, and if I be charged huge fees again
The BRP Card expires not the ILR. 2024 is the date the EU has stipulated for all documents holding biometric data to be updated with more enhances security features.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Mama26
Newly Registered
Mood:
Congo Democratic Republic

Post by Mama26 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:36 am

I applied on 18/12/2017 but did the fingetprint on 22/01/2018. Since i am waiting to hear from the HO.

am007
Newly Registered

Post by am007 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:10 am

Hello All,

I share the same sentiments as I was refused a job offer last month because I do not have a BRP. Just to inform you that I have raised my concerns with my current MP as well as Ms Diane Abbot, who is the current Shadow Home Secretary. Just bear in mind that BRP came into play in 2008. As most of us here, got the ILR prior to the introduction of BRP, had the right to work status and were given settlement status as stated in the expired passport. We all obeyed and followed the law in obtaining the ILR when it was set at that time of the application and paid accordingly. Hence, with the UKVI imposition since May 2014, where it states the ILR must be in “current” passport for work purposes. Prior to May 2014, there was no such thing as “current”. I have raised this concern as it is very unjust and my human rights have been taken away under the ECHR (European Commision of Human Rights) by this imposition by UKVI. Now, with the NTL application, not only one has to pay £237 currently, but it has an expiry date of 10 years or less and one has to pay again upon renewal, despite ILR does not expire. This will be a never ending payment till one stops work and the BRP expires every 10 years. Unless, one wants to get a British citizenship.

Anyway, below are some points I have raised to my MP and Ms Abbot. Please raise your issues with your MP if you can as this is affecting many people in similar grounds, which is very unjust.

“I refer to the below website regarding the ILR in previous passport and one do not have to apply for a BRP.
https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa

Below is right to work document and may I refer you to List A on point 6 on page 24.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... .pdf#page2

Point 6 indicates that:

“A current passport endorsed to show that the holder is exempt from immigration control, is allowed to stay indefinitely in the UK, has the right of abode in the UK, or has no time limit on their stay in the UK.”

Hence, when the immigration officers endorsed VIPP or ILR in previous passport and then stamped my current passport, doesn’t this meet the requirement above?

The word “current” came into effect from May 2014 under the new UKVI legal to work UK requirement. Prior to that, it did not have “current”, which applied to people like myself prior to the introduction of a BRP in 2008.
Now, no employer wants to employ me because I do not have a BRP and I am classified as an illegal worker if they employ me and they will get a fine from UKVI if they do so. This is SO unjust on people like us who has contributed to the UK economy, paid my taxes and contributed to national insurance for more than 16 years. Also, as we have the right to vote and a legal resident of the UK , the right to work should not have different set of rules set by the government for us.

My ILR settlement status is in my previous passport but this is a valid imigration document to enter and stay in the UK and I have a NIN number. Perhaps, to avoid confusion and misunderstanding to future employers and employees, the UKVI could have said a “valid” document rather than “current” or remain as it was prior to May 2014, which has cost me to lose a job on Monday, 19 Feb 2018 and will be not be employable anymore in the UK. This was because I no longer meet the employers work check and I am classified as a illegal worker and the employer will be subject to a civil penalty according to UKVI, which is £20000. I find this so unjust, discriminated and feel my human rights have been taken away from this imposition by UKVI, where I already have an ILR and right to work resident permit prior to the introduction of BRP.

If we are allowed to enter the UK with a valid ILR in previous passport and endorsed by the immigration officer in current passport as VIPP, isn’t this enough to legally work in the UK as well?

I refer to some links as below to people who are affected by this imposition by UKVI. These are just some but not exhaustive as there are many like us being affected by this issue and we hope the government will change this ASAP.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42331635

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... k#followup

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ce_for_rig

My MP’s secretary had called me twice and said that this will be an issue to be raised to the government. Will be meeting my MP in the coming week. One of the things, the secretary mentioned was that perhaps, the HO should have mentioned or put a clause for right to work, the changes does not apply to people who have ILR prior to the introduction of BRP in 2008. These are matters for MPs to discuss to make the change happen.

All the best everyone but please, don’t give up your rights as we have not done anything wrong and have abide by the rules set by HO when we applied for our ILR prior to the introduction of BRP and right to work prior to changes from May 2014.

BW,
AM

mshafiz
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by mshafiz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Dear All

I thought I should post in this forum in case of any use to anyone who is currently awaiting for a decision.

I was granted ILR in July 2012. Recently I have been looking for a new job and realised that I need to apply for NTL/BRP.

I sent my application on 6th Dec 2017 via next day delivery. Payment was taken on 8th Dec 2017.

Received an email on BRP instructions on 28th Dec 2017. Letter arrived the next day on 29th Dec 2017. I did the BRP at the post office on the same day, ie 29th Dec 2017. Then the waiting game began.

Recently I received an invitation for an interview for a new job that I was applying. As part of the process I had been told to bring evidence that I have the right to work. As I didn’t have a passport nor ILR vignette, I was worried. So I called the Home Office to ask the progress of my application but the lady said she couldn’t tell me. Furthermore I have booked non refundable holiday over Easter.

I then decided to ask for the return of my documents on 6th Mar 2018 via the online form. I had to choose for ID purposes as if you choose travel, you have to click yes on application withdrawal. I thought I would appeal once the passports came through.

In the comments section I sort of beg nicely along the lines, “ I need my documents urgently for Work ID purposes and I soon also need to travel. Would you be able to progress this application urgently as I don’t intend to withdraw. Your assistance to speed this is greatly appreciated.”

Lo and behold, on Friday, 9th Mar 2018, I received my BRP and on Saturday, 10th Mar 2018 all my documents and passports back.

My BRP issue date was 7th Mar 2018 and letter from Home Office was also dated 7th Mar 2018. They actually processesed my application a day later.

Therefore if you need the documents urgently worth a try! I’m really pleased that they’ve been very kind to process my application urgently.

Dont thank me, pay it forward 😀

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 am

am007 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:10 am
Hello All,

I share the same sentiments as I was refused a job offer last month because I do not have a BRP. Just to inform you that I have raised my concerns with my current MP as well as Ms Diane Abbot, who is the current Shadow Home Secretary. Just bear in mind that BRP came into play in 2008. As most of us here, got the ILR prior to the introduction of BRP, had the right to work status and were given settlement status as stated in the expired passport. We all obeyed and followed the law in obtaining the ILR when it was set at that time of the application and paid accordingly. Hence, with the UKVI imposition since May 2014, where it states the ILR must be in “current” passport for work purposes. Prior to May 2014, there was no such thing as “current”. I have raised this concern as it is very unjust and my human rights have been taken away under the ECHR (European Commision of Human Rights) by this imposition by UKVI. Now, with the NTL application, not only one has to pay £237 currently, but it has an expiry date of 10 years or less and one has to pay again upon renewal, despite ILR does not expire. This will be a never ending payment till one stops work and the BRP expires every 10 years. Unless, one wants to get a British citizenship.

Anyway, below are some points I have raised to my MP and Ms Abbot. Please raise your issues with your MP if you can as this is affecting many people in similar grounds, which is very unjust.

“I refer to the below website regarding the ILR in previous passport and one do not have to apply for a BRP.
https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa

Below is right to work document and may I refer you to List A on point 6 on page 24.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... .pdf#page2

Point 6 indicates that:

“A current passport endorsed to show that the holder is exempt from immigration control, is allowed to stay indefinitely in the UK, has the right of abode in the UK, or has no time limit on their stay in the UK.”

Hence, when the immigration officers endorsed VIPP or ILR in previous passport and then stamped my current passport, doesn’t this meet the requirement above?

The word “current” came into effect from May 2014 under the new UKVI legal to work UK requirement. Prior to that, it did not have “current”, which applied to people like myself prior to the introduction of a BRP in 2008.
Now, no employer wants to employ me because I do not have a BRP and I am classified as an illegal worker if they employ me and they will get a fine from UKVI if they do so. This is SO unjust on people like us who has contributed to the UK economy, paid my taxes and contributed to national insurance for more than 16 years. Also, as we have the right to vote and a legal resident of the UK , the right to work should not have different set of rules set by the government for us.

My ILR settlement status is in my previous passport but this is a valid imigration document to enter and stay in the UK and I have a NIN number. Perhaps, to avoid confusion and misunderstanding to future employers and employees, the UKVI could have said a “valid” document rather than “current” or remain as it was prior to May 2014, which has cost me to lose a job on Monday, 19 Feb 2018 and will be not be employable anymore in the UK. This was because I no longer meet the employers work check and I am classified as a illegal worker and the employer will be subject to a civil penalty according to UKVI, which is £20000. I find this so unjust, discriminated and feel my human rights have been taken away from this imposition by UKVI, where I already have an ILR and right to work resident permit prior to the introduction of BRP.

If we are allowed to enter the UK with a valid ILR in previous passport and endorsed by the immigration officer in current passport as VIPP, isn’t this enough to legally work in the UK as well?

I refer to some links as below to people who are affected by this imposition by UKVI. These are just some but not exhaustive as there are many like us being affected by this issue and we hope the government will change this ASAP.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42331635

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... k#followup

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ce_for_rig

My MP’s secretary had called me twice and said that this will be an issue to be raised to the government. Will be meeting my MP in the coming week. One of the things, the secretary mentioned was that perhaps, the HO should have mentioned or put a clause for right to work, the changes does not apply to people who have ILR prior to the introduction of BRP in 2008. These are matters for MPs to discuss to make the change happen.

All the best everyone but please, don’t give up your rights as we have not done anything wrong and have abide by the rules set by HO when we applied for our ILR prior to the introduction of BRP and right to work prior to changes from May 2014.

BW,
AM
Well done for taking this up to the mp...
I can fully relate to your frustration and anger as I am in the same boat as you.
I can't find work now due to this stupid rule, but I have right to live in the UK indefinitely.

I was about to apply for Naturalisation at last but now am forced to put that on hold as it can take 2 to 3 months.
I managed to book a premium service appointment on 4th April for NTL for 800 something pounds.
Hopefully, I will receive it a week after appointment and then I can start work.
Soon after I can apply for the British passport and send them the BRP to be shredded... i.e almost a grant shredded!!

The other option I guess was to apply for Naturalisation / apply for NTL by post (wait around 6 months) and then to claim benefits such as ESA until either arrives!!

Mama26
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Mama26 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Update of my case, maybe it can help someone.
18/12/2017:application posted
20/12/2017:received by HO
21/12/2017:money withdraw
03/01/2018:email knowledge with ID Case
05/01/2018: letter missing 1 answer from my application
11/01/2018: received applic, filled and sent back
15/01/2018: HO received applic and emailed me about BRP enrolment
22/01/2018:received enrolment letter dated 17
24/01/2018: did at the post office
12/03/2018: filled the return of doc(cfr mshafiz status)
15/03/2018:received letter to send original doc to confirm my continued residence in the UK, dated 11/03
19/03/2018:HO received the proofs
20/032018:signed my BRP
22/03/2018: BPR received
Waiting for my doc

Its been almost 3months and 4 days. Its been a surprise because i didn’t received any letter to like others. But i’m happy. Any advice just send the proof of your residence 1 letter of each year you have been here since LTR.GOOD LUCK

Mama26
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Mama26 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:34 pm

Mama26 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:56 pm
Update of my case, maybe it can help someone.
18/12/2017:application posted
20/12/2017:received by HO
21/12/2017:money withdraw
03/01/2018:email knowledge with ID Case
05/01/2018: letter missing 1 answer from my application
11/01/2018: received applic, filled and sent back
15/01/2018: HO received applic and emailed me about BRP enrolment
22/01/2018:received enrolment letter dated 17
24/01/2018: did at the post office
12/03/2018: filled the return of doc(cfr mshafiz status)
15/03/2018:received letter to send original doc to confirm my continued residence in the UK, dated 11/03
19/03/2018:HO received the proofs
20/032018:signed my BRP
22/03/2018: BPR received
23/03:received my doc

Its been almost 3months and 4 days. Its been a surprise because i didn’t received any letter to inform melike others. But i’m happy. Any advice just send the proof of your residence 1 letter of each year you have been here since LTR.GOOD LUCK

Oasishane
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by Oasishane » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:56 pm

22.09.17 Sent application with new and old passport
28.09.17 £237 debuted my account
18.10.17 Biometrics complete and paid for £19.20
29.03.18 Email reply from UKVI

“Our records show that your application has not yet been completed. (Really?)

We are unable to advise when a decision will be made (WTF!) but you will be notified in writing once made (Oh I feel so much better, not!). Until such time (piece of string?), we are unable to assist further (you haven’t assisted now). Should the caseworker require further information and/or documents they will contact you. (Hallelujah!)

We are sorry we cannot be of further assistance at this time.

Yours sincerely

UK Visas and Immigration”

Obviously the brackets are me but this is over 6 months, I’m a patient man but it’s running thin.

Any tips other than what’s on here would be appreciated to speed it along

Thanks

BandannaBoy
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by BandannaBoy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Good day

I was on holiday back in my home country of South Africa and my rental vehicle was broken into and unfortunately my wallet had fallen out my pocket after a long day up table mountain and was stolen (My BRP card was inside).

Now this happened 3 days before my flight back home to London, as a permanent resident, I had know idea how much of an issue this was until I tried to follow all the steps required for me to be able to receive a temporary sticker in my passport to travel back. In total, nearly £2000.00 and around two weeks of being stuck in a hotel waiting to get my passport back from UKVI.(Lets not mention somebody four days later found the contents of my wallet including my BRP which had already been cancelled at this point, so became useless accounting to UKVI)

Next case and point arriving back in London and now going through a "terrible process" of simply having my BRP card replaced. Nearly three months in and yet to receive my BRP card and im about to travel to Jamaica for my wedding anniversary.

I'm now trying to upgrade my application to a premium service (£500) on top of the £100 I've already spend but im even sure if its possible at this point.

What I'm battling to understand is the blatant illegal actions of denying a person who has committed absolutely no crime (Is a "victim" of crime) whatsoever yet has his/her freedom of movement taken away from him/her be a normal course of action the government is allowed to subject a law obeying human too.

I would like to get together people who are experiencing this total injustice and see how we can change/challenge these illegal procedures?

However what I really find amusing is as a South African I can travel back from Jamaica (worst-case scenario) visa free to Dublin Ireland then rent a vehicle, drive two hours to Belfast international and with my UK driver's license fly back to London. Which just shows how pathetic the systems are within the UK currently and truly need to be changed for the better.

Mamma T
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Mamma T » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:30 pm

sean354 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:46 pm
I posted my application including my documents over 3 weeks ago and haven't event relieved a confirmation letter. Do they usually take this long because most people would of had the funds debited from their accounts but minr has not. Any help
Just wondered did you manage to get your BRP? As I sent mine off 3wks ago and the money is STILL in my account

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:02 pm

Mamma T wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:30 pm
sean354 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:46 pm
I posted my application including my documents over 3 weeks ago and haven't event relieved a confirmation letter. Do they usually take this long because most people would of had the funds debited from their accounts but minr has not. Any help
Just wondered did you manage to get your BRP? As I sent mine off 3wks ago and the money is STILL in my account
Please read the dates of the posts you are quoting or asking a question to. This one was posted in November 2015!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.