ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family member with PR card applying for British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Malik_01

EEA family member with PR card applying for British citizenship

Post by Malik_01 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I need your kind help.

I am non EU family member of an EU citizen. My wife has already applied for her BC after one year of her PR. Lets say if she becomes BC, then what are my changes of geting BC after my PR due in March 2019. I heard from other people that I do not need to wait 1 year after my PR and can apply straightway provided that my other half is already British. Is that true?

Your time and attention to answer my query would be much appreciated.

Casa

Re: EEA family member with PR card applying for British citizenship

Post by Casa » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Malik_01 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:55 pm
Hi everyone,

I need your kind help.

I am non EU family member of an EU citizen. My wife has already applied for her BC after one year of her PR. Lets say if she becomes BC, then what are my changes of geting BC after my PR due in March 2019. I heard from other people that I do not need to wait 1 year after my PR and can apply straightway provided that my other half is already British. Is that true? Correct, assuming you meet all the standard requirements including permitted absences and good character etc.

Your time and attention to answer my query would be much appreciated.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:14 pm

Is that true?
Yes, provided you hold a PR card and meet all the requirements to apply based on 3 years as a spouse of BC.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Malik_01

Post by Malik_01 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:56 pm

HI Casa and CROO1,

Does that mean that I have to count my 3 years from the time my wife becomes BC? Because, if that's the case, then I better stick with the 1 year after PR.

Thanks a lot again :)

Malik

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:04 pm

Malik_01 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:56 pm
Does that mean that I have to count my 3 years from the time my wife becomes BC? Because, if that's the case, then I better stick with the 1 year after PR.
No, it is 3 years residence and being married to a BC at the time of application, regardless of how long your spouse has been a BC.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Malik_01

Post by Malik_01 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:44 pm

Hello Guys,

Thank you so much for your valuable time. I really appreciate your effort in reply to my queries.

Good news: My wife got her BC now and is about to attend an oath ceremony.

I need to know that I have also heard that if my wife is British, then she is no longer considered as EEA national under the EEA regulations and would rather be considered under UK immigration law now to reside in the UK, is that true? Despite the fact that she still holds her EU passport.

If so, then could you kindly let me know my rights as my PR is due next year before the Brexit date.

I would once again appreciate your prompt reply.

If you know someone legal or professional, who can give me an advice, then that would also be appreciated.

Thank you,

Malik

Johnnyboy007
Newly Registered

Post by Johnnyboy007 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:16 pm

Malik, What nationality is your wife before the BC?