ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Settlement Visa fees

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

RocioTheMexican
Newly Registered
Mood:
Mexico

Spouse Settlement Visa fees

Post by RocioTheMexican » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:26 am

Hello,

I'm a Mexican married to a British, we met in England over 10 years ago while I was studying there, lived in Mexico ever since, got married, had children and basically settled down here.

Last year, my husband and I decided to go back to England so he could be closer to his family and his roots. We thought the visa application was going to be if not simple, not that difficult, but what a big surprise we got. Last time we travelled to visit, the Immigration officer explained that there was a risk for us to stay in the UK so they would not let us in the UK and asked us to kindly get back to Mexico so I could process the right visa. I was not rejected, which means that I worked with the Home Office and the officer made a report which would "help" my current application.
-is this true?
- after this incident, could I try to get back into the UK as a tourist showing all the needed documentation?

Besides the fact that it's probably one of the most expensive visas, there are many other hidden expenses attached in the process. For example:
* English Proficiency test- which is only available in the capital city, therefore the expense includes the cost of the exam, the trip to the capital city and mailing the results home.
* Booking an appointment for the biometrics - again, only in the capital city with a third party vendor who works with the home office, so we have to pay for the process (biometrics taken) and of course the trip.
* the IHS fee - which means that every year we'll need to pay so I dont use any governmental subsidy.
Are there any other expenses I need to consider?

I have now the following questions which I hope you can help me with:
- Do I need to consider any other expenses besides the ones mentioned before?
- Is this the right visa I need to apply to or is there any other way to get to UK?
- Does this type of visa have to be processed through the Visa4UK.com page?
- How long would the whole process take and when does the time start counting?
- The Biometrics state that I'll be able to work/study but on the sponsors form it says that my sponsor will have to support me economically, so does that mean that I cannot work?
- More than 10 years ago, I was part of an exchange program with a University, so I got a Social Number which I don't remember any more. because it happened 10 years ago, I declared that I didn't have one, would this impact my application?

I've spent the whole day trying to get the right answers but there are so many links and so many pages you get redirected to that at the moment I'm feeling overwhelmed and completely confused.

Thank you in advance for your support

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse Settlement Visa fees

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:33 am

I was not rejected, which means that I worked with the Home Office and the officer made a report which would "help" my current application.
-is this true?
- after this incident, could I try to get back into the UK as a tourist showing all the needed documentation?
If you have already been refused entry to the UK as a tourist, unlikely you will be successful again. You have already been advised to apply for the correct visa and you should follow that advice. You cannot switch to a spouse visa within the UK if you are here as a tourist.
Besides the fact that it's probably one of the most expensive visas, there are many other hidden expenses attached in the process.
There are many other categories more much more expensive though.
For example:
* English Proficiency test- which is only available in the capital city, therefore the expense includes the cost of the exam, the trip to the capital city and mailing the results home.
* Booking an appointment for the biometrics - again, only in the capital city with a third party vendor who works with the home office, so we have to pay for the process (biometrics taken) and of course the trip.
* the IHS fee - which means that every year we'll need to pay so I dont use any governmental subsidy.
Are there any other expenses I need to consider?
IHS is paid for a 2.5 year visa and not 'every year'. You are free to use the NHS at no extra charge for anything, except dental and medicines.
I have now the following questions which I hope you can help me with:
- Do I need to consider any other expenses besides the ones mentioned before?
In terms of visa costs, no.
- Is this the right visa I need to apply to or is there any other way to get to UK?
VAF4A spouse visa and Appendix 2 is the correct visa and forms.
- Does this type of visa have to be processed through the Visa4UK.com page?
You need to follow the process where you are. It varies from country to country.
- How long would the whole process take and when does the time start counting?
It can take a few weeks or it can take a few months. Depends if you meet all the requirements and have all the correct supporting documents to prove you meet the requirements. Does your spouse meet the financial requirements???
- The Biometrics state that I'll be able to work/study but on the sponsors form it says that my sponsor will have to support me economically, so does that mean that I cannot work?
SU07 Sponsor form is NOT required for a spouse visa so it DOES NOT have to be completed. You will be free to work on a spouse visa without restriction.
- More than 10 years ago, I was part of an exchange program with a University, so I got a Social Number which I don't remember any more. because it happened 10 years ago, I declared that I didn't have one, would this impact my application?
You should state you had one but cannot remember the number. Always best to be honest otherwise HO could impose a deception/false information on you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

RocioTheMexican
Newly Registered
Mood:
Mexico

Post by RocioTheMexican » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:44 am

Thank you so much for your support and I'm sorry I wrote such a long email, but I was definitively feeling overwhelmed and depressed on that day.

I really appreciate your time answering my email, so here some other comments, questions:
-I'm in Mexico, not in the UK as a tourist, and I'm already applying for the wife settlement visa
- I am so glad the IHS fee is for the 2.5 years and not every year and also that there are no other costs besides the ones mentioned before :D
- with regards to the financial requiremtns, yes, my husband meet them, but now that I have gone through other information, he has only worked in England since last Dec, which means that he's been working there for only 4.5 months, so if we consider that they ask for the last 6 months payslips, I guess we'll have to demonstrate his previous income with the payslips of his previous job, is that right?
- with regards to the Social Number, I submitted the application by saying no, I'm sure it cannot be edited, so my question is, considering I haven't paid anything, could I make another application form so I can change that information?

thank you so much in advance,
Rocio

RocioTheMexican
Newly Registered
Mood:
Mexico

Post by RocioTheMexican » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:17 am

I just realized the following, my husband has been working in the UK for the last 4.5 months, the offer letter states his salary and benefits; however, he lost his job last April (a year ago) so from April to Dec he didn't get any salary, but he did meet the requirement in his previous job.

he does also have a savings account in Mexico with money. can this be used as part of the application to add to his current salary?

Thanks again,
Rocio

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:52 am

How much savings does he have in ££?

If not around £62500 you will likely need to wait till he has 6 months payslips in his current job.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

RocioTheMexican
Newly Registered
Mood:
Mexico

Post by RocioTheMexican » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:20 am

yes, if that's how much we need to prove in savings, then I think we're ok. How did you come up with the £62500?

Thanks,
Rocio

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:50 am

RocioTheMexican wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:20 am
yes, if that's how much we need to prove in savings, then I think we're ok. How did you come up with the £62500?

Thanks,
Rocio
That is the HO requirement if you want to rely on savings. It must have been held for at least 6 months in an accessible account.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:32 am

You will also have to show evidence of the source of the savings.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

RocioTheMexican
Newly Registered
Mood:
Mexico

Post by RocioTheMexican » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:51 pm

that's sorted now. I just learned that the service in Mexico doesn't take as long as in other countries as it's considered priority, which is nice to hear. thank you so much for all your prompt responses. hopefulle, I'll write soon with good news