ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What do you do if the embassy asks for original ID of the EU family member?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

What do you do if the embassy asks for original ID of the EU family member?

Post by Caravel88 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Hello all.
This question was asked to me elsewhere and I do not know how to reply so I thought it would be best to ask it here.

Apparently some EU member states' representatives ask for the original ID/Passport of the EU family-member to issue travel visas under directive 2004/38 and do not accept a copy alone.

In some cases the EU citizen might be away or not present in the country of the family member.

AFAIK, it should be enough to provide a copy together with another document proving the relationship (such as a marriage certificate).

What should one do if the family member is asked to submit the original ID/Passport?

Thank you!

vinny

Re: What do you do if the embassy asks for original ID of the EU family member?

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:36 pm

AFAIK, copies may be more easier to edit. Hence, their value for id purposes is questionable.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:02 pm

AFAIK, with the exception of the United Kingdom, every other EEA country issues an ID card as well as passports to their citizens. You could get the EEA citizen spouse to submit the ID Card with the application, thus leaving the passport with him/her for travelling.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Omi00007

Post by Omi00007 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:23 am

In the absence of an ID card and if the EU/EEA citizen is not present in the country where the application is being lodged, I suggest a legally attested (e.g. Solicitor) copy of the EU/EEA citizen's passport should be submitted with a covering letter stating the reason why original ID/Passport wasn't submitted.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:38 am

Hi Omi00007! Thank you for your answer. Given your experience I really appreciate hearing from you.

So if you are in the UK, how do you do this?
Get a photocopy of your Passport then go to a sols office and have it stamped?
Then send it to be legalised / notorised or something?

Thanks again.
Omi00007 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:23 am
In the absence of an ID card and if the EU/EEA citizen is not present in the country where the application is being lodged, I suggest a legally attested (e.g. Solicitor) copy of the EU/EEA citizen's passport should be submitted with a covering letter stating the reason why original ID/Passport wasn't submitted.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:50 am

Caravel88 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:38 am
Hi Omi00007! Thank you for your answer. Given your experience I really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks again.
Omi00007 wrote:
Some post offices (check online which ones in your area) offer to certify copies. I have used them several times to certify copies of my passport for visa/immigration purposes for both EEA family permit for my husband and UK standard visitor visa for my parents-in-law. Never had a problem.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Omi00007

Post by Omi00007 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Caravel88 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:38 am

Thanks again.
Omi00007 wrote:
In the past I have taken my original passport and a coloured copy to the solicitors office, got it certified/stamped and paid £50 for this service.

I don't think you need to get it further legalised/notorised.

As ALKB has advised, post office certification works as well and is probably much cheaper, however, I have never used this service. IMHO if the application is being lodged in a third world country then I personally would be more confident with a solicitor certified copy compared to a post office one.