ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK man/Russian girlfriend - Visa/immigration advice please

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

maxnn
Newly Registered

UK man/Russian girlfriend - Visa/immigration advice please

Post by maxnn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:24 pm

Dear all

I suspect this question is asked many times so I apologise for repeating it however it is a mine field of information out there and it appears that every ones circumstances are different.

I would really appreciate if someone could answer a few questions for me. I met my Russian girlfriend in the USA earlier this year. She currently lives and works there and has a USA Green Card. Our relationship is very good and we would like to live together in the UK.

Please could someone explain what is required for her to be in the UK with me and in the future get married? I am a British Citizen and I have lived here all my life. I have my own house, earn a good salary and I could support her. She does however want to be able to find a job and work in the UK, without having to rely on me indefinitely.

She is currently studying for a Masters Degree in Finance in Russia and is due to complete it next month.

Any steps, procedures, costs and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-MaxNN

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:22 pm

Only one real way - marriage. Costs about 2k over three years.

You can try for a visit visa, six months duration but u are advised not to use the full term - ie 'visit', 'live' - my gf got a slapped wrist when she spent three months on a VV here...

Student visa - gets expensive if she wants to work too - long term visa equals long term international uni fees, budget 10k pa.

Work visa - hard - need a sponsoring company or high earnings to apply.

There is an unmarried partner visa but u need two years cohab for that - chicken and egg....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

maxnn
Newly Registered

Post by maxnn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:37 pm

Wanderer wrote: Work visa - hard - need a sponsoring company or high earnings to apply.
Hi Wanderer, thank you so much for your reply. I have been reading your posts on this board. You are one very helpful and knowledgeable person and I for one appreciate the time and effort you have put into helping me and others!!!

If I could ask something else though please? :) If my girlfriend and I did get married, would it then be possible for her to work? She is adamant that she wants to work and really doesn't want to rely on me forever. I see her as a very employable individual. She speaks fluent English, is very intelligent and is hard working in her current role in the USA.

The inability to find work over here puts her off coming over to the UK and subsequently being with me.

Thank you again!

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:31 pm

If your girlfriend comes to the UK on a fiancee visa she will not be able to work until you get married. You will need to get married within 6 months and then apply for further leave to remain. Once she is granted FLR she will be able to work in the UK without any restrictions.

maxnn
Newly Registered

Post by maxnn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:10 pm

djb123 wrote:If your girlfriend comes to the UK on a fiancee visa she will not be able to work until you get married. You will need to get married within 6 months and then apply for further leave to remain. Once she is granted FLR she will be able to work in the UK without any restrictions.
Hi, thank you for clarifying this!

-MaxNN