ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

1st Irish passport application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

1st Irish passport application

Post by chaoclive » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi all

My partner will become irish in May at the ceremony. He will apply for a passport after that & we just wanted to check a few things for a newly naturalized citizen living in northern ireland. I'm just curious if anyone else has any experience with the following?

1) Do they need our civil partnership cert? He will bee naturalized ion the basis of a civil partnership with me (Irish citizen) living in Northern Ireland.

2) Do they return the original naturalization certificate?

3) It says that they will need a certified copy of his driving license. Is a UK provisional license enough?

4) Do they actually have to have his actual current country passport? Or would a certified copy (certified by a bank manager) be enough?

5) He receives his payslips online. Would a printed payslip be enough to prove his name?

6) My partner has a Chinese birth certificate which has been translated and certified for the naturalization application by a translation company in Belfast. Would this certified/translated copy alone be enough for the irish passport application? Do they absolutely need the original chinese birth certificate? The only reason why I ask is that the original of this document is the only available copy in the world. The chinese government have said that they are not able to produce another copy of it.

I know that no-one will know all the answers and I have sent emails to the DFA to check with them but it's not easy to send so much info in one email to them. We don't have an application number at all just yet as we haven't applied yet. I just want to get everything in order!

Thanks for any insight you may have
CC

Volkanerinamira
Turkey

Re: 1st Irish passport application

Post by Volkanerinamira » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:55 am

Hey I see you are attending the next ceremony on 21st may and you are from northern Ireland, just a quick question when u were sending the bankers draft how long did u wait for it at ur bank? And is the only thing ur sending is the draft and 2 passport pics? I no they ask for gnib car but obviously we don't have that here do no residents need to send anything in its place?

I'm still working out what is the fastest way to get there on 21st, It's looking like we will have to go on 20th stay overnight to be there on time, I'm not really fancying driving so prob take the train which takes about 7 hrs lol.

In regards to the 1st passport I wasn't even aware they needed all that kind of information , u said about driving license but this couldn't be compulsory as not everyone has a driving licence and also my countries passport is out of date and why would I even renew it when I'm applying for an Irish passport .

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Volkanerinamira wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:55 am
Hey I see you are attending the next ceremony on 21st may and you are from northern Ireland, just a quick question when u were sending the bankers draft how long did u wait for it at ur bank? And is the only thing ur sending is the draft and 2 passport pics? I no they ask for gnib car but obviously we don't have that here do no residents need to send anything in its place?
THE BANK (ULSTER BANK IN BELFAST CITY OFFICE) WAS VERY QUICK. THEY HAVE TO FILL IN A FORM ON THE FIRST DAY WHEN YOU REQUEST THE DRAFT AND DON'T GET AN ANSWER STRAIGHT AWAY. THEIR ANTI-MONEY LAUNDERING DEPARTMENT NEED TO DO SOME CHECKS (THIS IS NORMAL) AND NORMALLY REPLY THE NEXT MORNING. THEN YOU GO TO ACTUALLY PROCESS THE DRAFT. THERE IS A CHARGE. I CAN'T REMEMBER HOW MUCH IT SHOULD BE BUT I THINK IT'S LESS THAN £10.

APART FROM THE DRAFT, ALL WE SENT WAS THE PASSPORT PHOTOS AND THE COPY OF OUR RESIDENCE CARD FOR NORTHERN IRELAND. THIS WAS NOT REQUIRED BUT I HAD COPIES AT HOME SO I JUST PUT ONE IN. JUST FOLLOW THE INFO IN THE APPROVAL LETTER.

HAVE YOU ALREADY SPOKEN TO YOUR BANK?

I'm still working out what is the fastest way to get there on 21st, It's looking like we will have to go on 20th stay overnight to be there on time, I'm not really fancying driving so prob take the train which takes about 7 hrs lol.

WE ARE GOING TO GO ON THE SATURDAY AND STAY IN DOOLIN FOR A NIGHT THEN DRIVE TO KILLARNEY ON THE SUNDAY. WE'RE GONNA STAY AT ROS VILLA B&B IN KILLARNEY BEFORE THE CEREMONY. I DON'T KNOW HOW COMPLEX THE TRAIN IS BUT I'M DEFINITELY DRIVING!

In regards to the 1st passport I wasn't even aware they needed all that kind of information , u said about driving license but this couldn't be compulsory as not everyone has a driving licence and also my countries passport is out of date and why would I even renew it when I'm applying for an Irish passport .

THERE IS A LIST OF STUFF THAT THEY NEED HERE: https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... king-days/.

I DON'T THINK THEY ACTUALLY NEED THE DRIVING LICENSE BUT I WAS GOING TO SEND IT ANYWAY JUST IN CASE. THEY DO ASK FOR: 'A certified copy of your photo identification, such as your driver’s licence, or the original form of your passport from another country or your college identification card' BUT THE ORIGINAL PASSPORT WOULD COVER THIS.

crisbella218
China

Post by crisbella218 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:24 am

chaoclive wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:28 pm
Hi all

My partner will become irish in May at the ceremony. He will apply for a passport after that & we just wanted to check a few things for a newly naturalized citizen living in northern ireland. I'm just curious if anyone else has any experience with the following?

1) Do they need our civil partnership cert? He will bee naturalized ion the basis of a civil partnership with me (Irish citizen) living in Northern Ireland.

2) Do they return the original naturalization certificate?

3) It says that they will need a certified copy of his driving license. Is a UK provisional license enough?

4) Do they actually have to have his actual current country passport? Or would a certified copy (certified by a bank manager) be enough?

5) He receives his payslips online. Would a printed payslip be enough to prove his name?

6) My partner has a Chinese birth certificate which has been translated and certified for the naturalization application by a translation company in Belfast. Would this certified/translated copy alone be enough for the irish passport application? Do they absolutely need the original chinese birth certificate? The only reason why I ask is that the original of this document is the only available copy in the world. The chinese government have said that they are not able to produce another copy of it.

I know that no-one will know all the answers and I have sent emails to the DFA to check with them but it's not easy to send so much info in one email to them. We don't have an application number at all just yet as we haven't applied yet. I just want to get everything in order!

Thanks for any insight you may have
CC
1) This is a passport application now, your relationship to him doesn't matter so no marriage related documentation is required. Only reason a document like this is required is if someones surname has changed and a civil or marriage certificate is required to prove a surname change.
2) Yes original naturalisation certificate is required.
3) Send the original driving licence if you want. But as your sending his original passport that is basically a form of photo ID is will be enough. That's what I did. Text from dfa website: "or the original form of your passport from another country"
4) You have to send the original passport no exceptions
5) Best to have a bill, mobile phone bill, bank statement (even if printed online).
6) You need to send the same birth related documents you sent with your citizenship application. An official Chinese government translation would be best. As birth certificates in China were not official given until the 90's you get a certificated document called Notarial Certificate which is like a white book that has an english and chinese translation insided. However this would depend according to province. Front cover looks like this: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Also note that after the ceremony the timeframe for passports will be longer as there is a spike in applications. So best to get it submitted asap if you have any plans. Mine took over 1 month even though I applied 3 weeks after the ceremony.

Good Luck.

Grendels
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Grendels » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:45 pm

There's a handy form you can fill out here to check what documents are required for your particular situation. https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... -passport/

For first-time passport applications, the average turnaround times are publshed here. For first-time applications, it looks like 23 days for Republic of Ireland and 24 days for Northern Ireland. https://www.dfa.ie/passporttracking/turnaroundtimes/

I decided to pick up my passport application form before the ceremony, to get a head start on filling it out. Your partner may be able to do the same.

Good luck!

Volkanerinamira
Turkey

Post by Volkanerinamira » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:50 am

My original passport from my home country is expired so do i send that? I was judt going to send my biometric residence card as proof of id

Grendels
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Grendels » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:12 pm

@Volkanerinamira: I had to renew my home country’s passport in order to extend my permission to remain in Ireland. This was in order to have a valid stamp in my passport and valid PSC/ GNIB card by date of ceremony. Is it the same for you?

If not, you might use this for photo ID:
“A certified copy of your photo identification, such as your driver’s licence, or the original form of your passport from another country or your college identification card. You can get it certified by the person who witnesses your application form.

Photo ID is not required if you are submitting a copy of your Public Services Card (PSC) which will suffice for this purpose.”

The PSC is handy as it serves as both photo ID and proof of name. I was able to get an appointment quickly for PSC and it came soon after in the post.