ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

As a British citizen how long i stay outside country

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

Pakohind
Newly Registered

As a British citizen how long i stay outside country

Post by Pakohind » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:01 am

Hi everyone,

My mate just become a British citizen in
November 2017. And now he want to stay in
back home and just want to keep citizenship
So he can come back to Uk any time he want.

My Question is :
is there any time limit for British citizen for
Stay out of country for limited time or they can
Stay as long they want and when ever they want to come back UK.

As some people said you can’t stay more then 8 continually. You have to visit back in UK every time within 8 month and then you can go back if you what to stay back home.

If someone here can give me full detail this will really appreciate.

Thanks in Advanced

Twine
United Kingdom

Re: As a British citizen how long i stay outside country

Post by Twine » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:18 am

If your friend is in fact a naturalised British citizen then he can leave the country for as long as he wishes and this will not impact his British citizenship.

However, if he is not yet a British citizen but only holds Indefinite Leave to Remain, then he may lose this status if he is out of the United Kingdom for a two year period.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:38 pm

Pakohind wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:01 am
Hi everyone,

When naturalized, he was required to state that his intentions were to permanently make his center of life in the UK. Was that not true?

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:06 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:38 pm
Pakohind wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:01 am
Hi everyone,

When naturalized, he was required to state that his intentions were to permanently make his center of life in the UK. Was that not true?
Change is inevitable. It is not a crime for people their mind.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:33 pm

Hstepper07 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:06 pm
Change is inevitable. It is not a crime for people (to change) their mind.
There is no crime involved at all. More of a... promise. And we're not talking about starting a new job, and deciding 6 months later it's just not a right fit for you. Since he naturalized, it must have taken somewhere between 3-6 years to accomplish this, the financial burden, not to mention having to leave his own country, which he obviously wants to go back to now. I was just wondering if the intentions of the OP's mate were ever what he stated they were when he applied for naturalization. It wasn't that long ago and changing one's mind after such a long-term investment does bring into doubt whether the OP's mate was actually being honest with the UK goverment (or perhaps even themself). It's a fair question.

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Who know's. I guess that matter is between OP's mate and home office.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:23 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:33 pm
There is no crime involved at all. More of a... promise. And we're not talking about starting a new job, and deciding 6 months later it's just not a right fit for you. Since he naturalized, it must have taken somewhere between 3-6 years to accomplish this, the financial burden, not to mention having to leave his own country, which he obviously wants to go back to now. I was just wondering if the intentions of the OP's mate were ever what he stated they were when he applied for naturalization. It wasn't that long ago and changing one's mind after such a long-term investment does bring into doubt whether the OP's mate was actually being honest with the UK goverment (or perhaps even themself). It's a fair question.
The intentions of a fair few people on these forums who have naturalised seem to change almost immediately after getting their naturalisation certificate and British passport. Indeed, as you mentioned, not a crime. Merely a curious coincidence.

In any case, the Nationality Guidance does say "The clearest indicator of this (future intentions) will be past behaviour". So long as the past behaviour has been validated, I can't imagine there being an issue with future intentions.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

jimquk
United Kingdom

Post by jimquk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:35 pm

It could only really be an issue if there was evidence of deception: stating an intention to live in the UK having already accepted a permanent job offer abroad, for example. I can't imagine many revocations of citizenship on that basis.
The Refused are coming day-by-day nearer to freedom.