ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration - Documentation requirements

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

J_P
Newly Registered

Foreign Birth Registration - Documentation requirements

Post by J_P » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:48 am

Hello everyone,

I am planning to apply for Irish citizenship through my Irish grandfather, and I'm not sure exactly how much required documentation I need.

Based on reading the checklist on dfa.ie, I plan to include the following on myself:
- Original Birth certificate & photocopy
- Notarized copy of passport
- Passport-sized photos signed by a witness (who will also notarize/certify my passport copy at the same time)
- Two separate documents showing proof of Residence

I plan to include the following on my mother:
- Notarized copy of passport

I plan to include the following on my grandfather:
- Original Death certificate & photocopy

I am not sure if I need more documentation, based on the following:
- My grandfather was married, however we don't have the original certificate.
- My mother is divorced - I'm not sure if I need to include the paperwork for that too.

Do I need to include more documentation based on my queries above? Or will the documentation I'm already including be sufficient?

joebongo
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration - Documentation requirements

Post by joebongo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:59 pm

A bump from me as it's similar to what I can get for my family documentation. The website indicates a huge amount of documents, but are they all needed is my question?

Bluey105

Post by Bluey105 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:55 am

Yes you most certainly will do. Also you will need your parents' marriage certificate.

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:49 pm

You will need both your mother's marriage certificate and divorce decree, as well as your grandfather's marriage certificate.

Look under section 2 HERE. You will need to provide all of these documents if they exist. Failure to provide the required documentation will delay the process while they contact you requesting the missing documents.

selkie
Newly Registered

Post by selkie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:58 pm

You will need to have your grandfather's marriage certificate .I do not know from which nation you hail, but in the United States, to obtain your grandfather's marriage certificate, you must call or visit the city's department of vital records ;i.e, the city in which your grandfather was married. Even if you do not know exact dates, they will help you find the date and the certificate by using the other vital information you provide them about your grandfather. In addition,, if he was divorced you will need the divorce decree too.
Regarding your mother; yes, I believe if she is divorced you must include the divorce certificate since she is the parental citizen through whom you are applying for Foreign Birth registration.

Another way to find out the date of your grandfather's wedding is to contact the church where the wedding took place I am sure your mother will have those records. Believe it or not churches keep records from the 1940's and further back. You may NOT use the marriage certificate from the church as his marriage certificate-you must have a certified copy from the city, but you may use the data on it to help with the city' search for the certificate and the process of obtaining it will be a lot quicker. I did this. Funny how family secrets/skeletons come out in this process isn't it? :lol:

ammonite
Newly Registered

Post by ammonite » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Yes you will need them. I had not included my grandmother's divorce certificate, and they wrote back asking for it.

Laurie9434

Post by Laurie9434 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:35 am

Hi, hope this helps!
I'm submitting:

For me:
-Long form certified birth certificate
-long form certified marriage certificate

My father:
-long form certified birth certificate
-long form Certified Marriage Certificate
-long form certified divorce decree
-long form 2nd Certified Marriage Certificate
-long form Certified death certificate

My Grandfather's:
-long form certified Irish birth certificate
-long form Certified Marriage Certificate
-long form certified Death Certificate

Along with notarized witnessed passport, pics, ID, bank statements, etc. I was told I needed all of the above. Hope this helps!

selkie
Newly Registered

Post by selkie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:57 pm

I did not include my father's current identification as he is elderly and they required it. It is better to overdo than to leave something vital out. Good luck getting all your documents together. It's an exciting process!

Brampton7
Newly Registered

Post by Brampton7 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Just starting the process. My parents are nervous about me sending off all their personal documents. Do we actually need to physically send Ben in the post or can we hand deliver (to an Irish Embassy, I'm in UK) or can they just be uploaded online?

Kazar1977
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Kazar1977 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:40 am

Not maried to the mother