ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship ceremony overseas

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

stacyf
Newly Registered

Citizenship ceremony overseas

Post by stacyf » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:53 am

Does anyone know anything about doing citizenship ceremonies overseas? It says on the Home Office website that it's possible: http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/britis ... /ceremony/ (last line of the first para). Does this only apply in special circumstances or can anyone do the ceremony in another country?

The reason I'm asking is that I sent in my naturalisation application 2 months ago hoping it would come through within 6 months, as I'm planning on going travelling for several months at the end of August. However, now that there have been more applications than usual and big delays, this is looking unlikely. And with tickets booked, plans made etc, I'm in a dilemma, as flying back just for the ceremony would be very expensive.

Does anyone have any experience of this and know how it works?

djb123
Member of Standing

Re: Citizenship ceremony overseas

Post by djb123 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:39 am

stacyf wrote:The reason I'm asking is that I sent in my naturalisation application 2 months ago hoping it would come through within 6 months, as I'm planning on going travelling for several months at the end of August. However, now that there have been more applications than usual and big delays, this is looking unlikely.
I wouldn't give up hope yet, my wife applied for her citizenship late Feb (I think a week or so before you) and she got a letter approving her application a couple of days ago.

stacyf
Newly Registered

Post by stacyf » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:28 pm

She's very lucky! I haven't even had my card debited or acknowledgment letter yet - and every time I've phoned they add a few more weeks on to the time they tell me that this should happen in!

JAJ
Australia

Re: Citizenship ceremony overseas

Post by JAJ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:10 pm

stacyf wrote:Does anyone know anything about doing citizenship ceremonies overseas? It says on the Home Office website that it's possible: http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/britis ... /ceremony/ (last line of the first para). Does this only apply in special circumstances or can anyone do the ceremony in another country?

Can be done BUT naturalisation applicants (except those married to British citizens) need to intend to remain resident in the U.K.

Asking for an overseas ceremony may send all the wrong signals ....

stacyf
Newly Registered

Post by stacyf » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:17 am

I am married to a British citizen (qualified for naturalisation both ways) and I do intend coming back - just not for a year or so. Do you know whether the overseas ceremony can only be done in a country you're living in, or if it could be done somewhere you're just staying for a while? And do you know how I'd go about organising this if it came to it?
Thanks for your help.