ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Want my parents to live with me in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

PhigaMol
Newly Registered

Want my parents to live with me in Ireland

Post by PhigaMol » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Apologies in advance for the long post. I am trying to give the full picture as succinctly as possible.

My situation:

I am a British citizen. I moved to Ireland in January 2018. I am single with no remaining familial ties in the UK.

I have a permanent job in Ireland and a rental apartment.

I own an apartment in the UK which is currently being rented out via a letting agent. The rent will cover the mortgage and service charges.

I have, in effect, permanently moved to Ireland.

I would like to bring my elderly parents, both Indian citizens, to live with me in Ireland permanently.

I work in construction. I genuinely have no intention of leaving Ireland as long as the construction industry is booming here. With the falling pound and improving pay in Ireland and despite the Irish housing crisis, I am financially better off now in Ireland than I was in the UK even three months ago. So we will not be racing against Brexit to attempt a ‘Surinder Singh (SS)’ back to the UK.

My parents’ situation:

They are in their late 70s.

They own their house in India.

I have regularly sent them money over the past 3-4 years to supplement their pensions.

They have a son in India who lives in a different city, at a distance of over 900 km from them. He does not provide monetary or emotional support to them. He is married with children and maintains a separate household from our parents.

The story so far:

My parents have visited me in the UK several times since 2005. They have always returned to India before the expiry of their visit visas (of various durations) every time. Until….

About 7 years ago, we visited another European country together to avoid them staying in the UK for more than 180 days on a visit visa and contravene its conditions. On our return to the UK, we were stopped at a UK port. My parents’ passports were confiscated and they were going to be deported. We appealed this action by the immigration officer and won the case. My parents subsequently returned to India of their own volition, after staying a further 5 months in the UK.

But since then, they have been refused visiting visas to the UK on multiple occasions – citing the reason that they will end up staying illegally in the UK long-term.

About three years ago, I had tried to bring them to the UK using the Surinder Singh route. This failed too. I unsuccessfully exhausted the appeals process at the time.

In order to get a visiting visa for the European country I was using for the SS route, my parents had to show savings in India. This fact was then used by the Home Office to argue that my parents were not dependent on me. However, this money has now been spent towards repairs to their house following a natural calamity.

The other reasons for which SS route failed were – I was not working in my original profession in the 2nd European country and we did not live together as a family there long enough – about three months only. The former reason cannot be raised against me in Ireland and the latter does not apply as we are not attempting SS route.

The plan now:

Apply for an Irish Type C Family visit visa for my parents.

If/when successful, apply for European Family Residence Card on their arrival in Ireland.

IMHO, the challenges:

My parents have to show sufficient ties in India to be granted a visiting visa. But then, the evidence provided for this can/will be used against their application for Residence Cards.
How do I manage this?

How can I demonstrate to Irish visa officials that this is not a back-door way of trying to get my parents into the UK via Ireland? Their previous UK visit visa refusals and the failed SS route attempt don’t look good.

It so happens that my parents’ passports expire soon. They will get new passports. I realise this is devious and risky – but will we be able to get away with not mentioning previous passports and migration history?

The fact that I was/am regularly sending my parents money to support their expenses was not taken into account as dependency by the UK Immigration Tribunals. Would Irish immigration toe a similar line? How else can I strengthen the dependency argument?

Should I also be considering other sticking points that I am heretofore unaware of?

I am grateful for any pointers, comments, suggestions, recommendations.

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Re: Want my parents to live with me in Ireland

Post by shpirtshqipe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:47 am

Given the complexity of your parents’ immigration history you should consult a reputable immigration lawyer in Ireland to give you definitive advise.

Whilst members here have different experiences I’d say legal representation should be seriously considered

Good Luck

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 am

You should also be aware that Ireland and the UK share immigration information/data so the likelihood of the Irish authorities knowing the full details of their poor immigration history is almost certainly guaranteed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

PhigaMol
Newly Registered

Processing time - Type C EU Directive 2004/38/EC) visa application - India

Post by PhigaMol » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:56 am

Hello,

Anyone with personal experience/knowledge from the recent past of how long it takes to process Type C - EU visa for dependent parents at the Irish Embassy in India?

Their website is quite vague -
"Please note, the Irish Visa Office in New Delhi has experienced a very large recent increase in European Union Treaty Rights (EUTR - EU Directive 2004/38/EC) visa applications. This increase has put a huge strain on our capability, and long delays in processing such visas should be expected for the foreseeable future, given the volumes received and the resources available. Applications are being dealt with strictly from date of receipt, and this office will not be in a position to process new applications of this type for a considerable period. This office is currently unable to give applicants or their representatives an accurate indication as to how long their applications might take to process."

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/india/ ... s-appeals/

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:57 pm

Kindly refrain from starting a new topic as the post you have already made now merged with your other topic.

A 'general' topic as the 'processing time' once very quickly becomes a jumble of posts and incredibly lengthy and difficult to moderate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

PhigaMol
Newly Registered

Post by PhigaMol » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:07 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:57 pm
Kindly refrain from starting a new topic as the post you have already made now merged with your other topic.

A 'general' topic as the 'processing time' once very quickly becomes a jumble of posts and incredibly lengthy and difficult to moderate.
@CR001 - I am no longer looking for advice on my parents' situation. I wonder if this thread can be deleted.

However, I am keen to know about the procesing times. The subject of this merged thread no longer indicates the information I really want.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Posts and threads are not deleted.

announcements/posts-will-not-be-deleted-t199657.html

Processing times from India usually take a few months. Up to mid last year, there was a backlog of 10,000 applicants waiting for visas.

These applications are looked at in depth.
Char (CR001 not Casa)