ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Importance of declarations on landing cards for Indefinite Leave to Remain applications

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

ahmedzaid
inactive
St Kitts-Nevis

Importance of declarations on landing cards for Indefinite Leave to Remain applications

Post by ahmedzaid » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:51 am

Good day,

This is my 6th year in the UK and I am thinking of applying for the Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after I complete 10 years. For 5 out of the 6 years I was a student, but I am now on visitor visa. On reading the 'general grounds for refusal' regarding visitors (not students) wanting to apply for ILR, I came across the following:

"When an applicant has given an undertaking to an entry clearance officer, Home Office officer or the Secretary of State about the length or purpose of their stay but then does not honour that agreement, you must refuse leave to remain under paragraph 322(7). For example, an applicant states that they will leave the UK at the end of a specific period rather than apply to extend their stay." ( https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -to-remain ) (page 50)

Does this mean that if I enter the UK on a visitor visa and write on my landing card that I am planning to stay for 1 month but then stayed for 2 or 3 months but still left before my visitor visa has expired, that this will lead to my ILR application being refused?

Note also that on the same page of the document it says the following:

"Standard of proof
To refuse leave to remain under paragraph 322(7), you must show that a declaration or undertaking was given by the applicant. You should only refuse under this paragraph when you have reason to doubt the applicant’s intentions and there is clear evidence of the undertaking."

Thank you in advance.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Importance of declarations on landing cards for Indefinite Leave to Remain applications

Post by Casa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:21 pm

ahmedzaid wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:51 am
Good day,

This is my 6th year in the UK and I am thinking of applying for the Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after I complete 10 years. For 5 out of the 6 years I was a student, but I am now on visitor visa. On reading the 'general grounds for refusal' regarding visitors (not students) wanting to apply for ILR, I came across the following:

"When an applicant has given an undertaking to an entry clearance officer, Home Office officer or the Secretary of State about the length or purpose of their stay but then does not honour that agreement, you must refuse leave to remain under paragraph 322(7). For example, an applicant states that they will leave the UK at the end of a specific period rather than apply to extend their stay." ( https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -to-remain ) (page 50)

Does this mean that if I enter the UK on a visitor visa and write on my landing card that I am planning to stay for 1 month but then stayed for 2 or 3 months but still left before my visitor visa has expired, that this will lead to my ILR application being refused?

"Standard of proof
To refuse leave to remain under paragraph 322(7), you must show that a declaration or undertaking was given by the applicant. You should only refuse under this paragraph when you have reason to doubt the applicant’s intentions and there is clear evidence of the undertaking."

Thank you in advance.
How will you qualify for ILR under 10 years long residence if you are not resident in the UK? Your continuous residence will have been broken once your 5 year Student visa expired. :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ahmedzaid
inactive
St Kitts-Nevis

Re: Importance of declarations on landing cards for Indefinite Leave to Remain applications

Post by ahmedzaid » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:59 pm

Casa wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:21 pm
ahmedzaid wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:51 am
Good day,

"Standard of proof

Thank you in advance.
How will you qualify for ILR under 10 years long residence if you are not resident in the UK? Your continuous residence will have been broken once your 5 year Student visa expired. :?:

As far as I am aware (from reading and consulting) being present in the UK under a visitor visa counts towards the 10 years. What matters is being legally present in the UK for 10 years, without having spent 180 days in a row or 540 days in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:22 am

True. However, visitors may have problems switching to ILR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ahmedzaid
inactive
St Kitts-Nevis

Post by ahmedzaid » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:04 am

vinny wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:22 am
True. However, visitors may have problems switching to ILR.
Thank you for confirming, Vinny. However, with regards to my original question, will staying more than what was stated on the landing card - even if I leave well in advance of my visitor visa expiring - negatively affect my ILR application later on?

PS. I will probably be on a student visa when I make my application after 4 years, as I am currently applying for master and PhD courses. So, hopefully, I will be switching to ILR from a student visa rather than a visitor visa.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:28 pm

May be okay if you can show a change of circumstances that led to the longer stay.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ahmedzaid
inactive
St Kitts-Nevis

Post by ahmedzaid » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:18 pm

Thank you, Vinny.