ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizens’ Rights- EU Post Brexit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

cpierre
Newly Registered
Belgium

Citizens’ Rights- EU Post Brexit

Post by cpierre » Tue May 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Hello,

I am French citizen married in the UK to a UK citizen since 2010. I lived in the UK with my wife from 2006 to 2013 and we have two children who were born there and both have UK passports, in mid-2013 we however left the country for professional reasons and now reside outside of the EU (for close to 5 years). We however go back to the UK from time to time to meet family and friends. I never took UK citizenship as I did not see the point at the time as I was allowed to live,work and travel freely to the UK as an EU citizen.
In the next few years, we will however probably go back to live in the UK.
Will I have now to apply for any kind of visas/authorization if we decide to move back after the brexit transition period? Does the fact that I am married to a UK citizen, lived there for 7 years and have children with UK passports be taken into account?

Thank you.

secret.simon

Re: Citizens’ Rights- EU Post Brexit

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 02, 2018 8:17 am

cpierre wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:30 pm
I lived in the UK with my wife from 2006 to 2013
If you worked in the UK for that period and you have proof of such work, you will have acquired PR in the UK.
cpierre wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:30 pm
We however go back to the UK from time to time to meet family and friends.
So long as you entered the UK at least once every two years, no matter for how short a period, you will have retained your PR. If any single absence was longer than two years, your PR will have lapsed.

If you still hold PR and are still married to a British citizen, it may be wise to apply for a DCPR and then British citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

cpierre
Newly Registered
Belgium

Re: Citizens’ Rights- EU Post Brexit

Post by cpierre » Wed May 02, 2018 2:40 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, since we left the UK we never spent more than 2 years before coming back for some time. This will hopefully be OK to keep PR.
I will however look at applying for DCPR and then British citizenship for peace of mind.