ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

dependent's staus with student visa holder

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Star
Newly Registered

dependent's staus with student visa holder

Post by Star » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:01 pm

Hi All
I wanna apply for student visa and i am sure that I ll get that can someone tell me that Is this possible for me to take my husband with me as dependent and can he get the workpermit to work full time as dependent of mine there in UK.
Thanks

tvt

Post by tvt » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:14 am

Yes, your husband can join you on a student dependent visa. If the expected duration of your studies is longer than 12 months your husband will given a code 1 visa which will enable him to work free from restrictions.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:34 am

Ok, so then would the following scenario be possible?

A married couple want to come to settle in UK, so instead of going via the often unsuccesful WP - HSMP way, one of them could just sign up for a 4 year course (e.g. Msc then PhD), the other works as a student dependant, gets an ILR at the end (presumably if its possible) and bob's ur uncle :)

Or are there restrictions on this?

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:38 am

A married couple want to come to settle in UK, so instead of going via the often unsuccesful WP - HSMP way, one of them could just sign up for a 4 year course (e.g. Msc then PhD), the other works as a student dependant, gets an ILR at the end (presumably if its possible)
Nope,

Not possible am afraid - Student Visa's and/or student depedant Visa's do not lead to settlement...unless , one changes to a Category Leading to Settlement
Where there is a will there is a way.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:26 am

Time in UK to get ILR

Categories Leading To Settlement (CLS)

1. Family based - marriage, unmarried partner = 2 years

2. Employment based = 4 years

Categories Not Leading To Settlement

10 years continuous legal stay in the UK - since visitors would be likely be in breach of their conditions this would normally exclude time as a visitor in the UK. Students are the people most likely to benefit from this.

14 years continuous stay in the UK be it legal or illegal.

Other factors will be considered in the 10/14 yr categories including any criminal records, payment of income taxes, employment, education etc.

Note the Home Secretary has powers to grant any person any form of leave (permission) to remain in the UK including British Citizenship without considering any time spent in the UK. Needless to say this is as rare as hen's teeth 8) .

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:38 am

Note the Home Secretary has powers to grant any person any form of leave (permission) to remain in the UK including British Citizenship without considering any time spent in the UK. Needless to say this is as rare as hen's teeth 8)
Kaya,

Do you know or have you heard of anyone granted leave/citizenship without satisfying the rules?.....The Hinduja brothers ring a bell...

On the other hand how come some people who satisy the rules are still refused citizenship - good example...Al fayeed
Where there is a will there is a way.

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:52 am

Kayalami,
Categories Leading To Settlement (CLS)

1. Family based - marriage, unmarried partner = 2 years

If someone in-country has lived together with a British national for 2 years (e.g. individual here on WP or HSMP, after a few months starts living with a British girlfriend/boyfriend) could they claim ILR after 2 years?

OR... if after 2 years you apply, the HO only gives you a further 2 year stay and only then you can apply for ILR? (that is what happens in the case of unmarried couples wishing to enter UK as far I know, i.e. you get permission to enter based on 2 years and then once in you need further two years)

basically, does it always have to be a total of 4 years, or the actual UK time of 2 years of living together is what matters?

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:20 am

Chess wrote:
Do you know or have you heard of anyone granted leave/citizenship without satisfying the rules?.....The Hinduja brothers ring a bell...

On the other hand how come some people who satisy the rules are still refused citizenship - good example...Al fayeed
Not sure why the Home Secretary made such decisions apart from what is in the public domain 8) - libelous territory..sorry. I do know that the HS did not have to give a reason for refusing British Citizenship before but after the ALF case has to. I do also know that Zola Budd a South African national was controversially granted British Citizenship (apparently within 1 day) to enable her represent Great Britain at the 1984 Olympics. She and the US hopeful as well as favourite for the 3,000m (Mary Decker) tangled halfway through the race - actually MD run into ZB with her spikes as ZB was running barefoot....MD fell over never to complete and thus win the race - needless to say ZB was deemed the villain of the games.

kawasaki1 wrote:
If someone in-country has lived together with a British national for 2 years (e.g. individual here on WP or HSMP, after a few months starts living with a British girlfriend/boyfriend) could they claim ILR after 2 years?
Sorry living together on its own is not enough - you need to apply for further leave to remain as the unmarried partner or spouse of a person present and settled in the UK. After 2 years in this category you may apply for Indefinite Leave To Remain....are you going to break up now now that 'I will get HSMP/WP then live with a settled partner to shorten my timeline to ILR in half' plan is not feasible :lol: .
Last edited by Kayalami on Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:30 am

Haha, no :D

We are together for 2+ years as it is and I haven't really contemplated it, but it is a feasible question to ask to see if the possibility is there ;)

Thanks for the info!