ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried partners visa and public funds

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

homyachok
Newly Registered

Unmarried partners visa and public funds

Post by homyachok » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:24 pm

Hi

We applyed for an unmarried partners visa for my wife who comes from Central Asia 1.5 years ago and got it. She is about to get her Indefinite Leave to Remain this October. However, we got married in december and got a 3 months old baby :)

Questions:

1) Do we still need to keep all our mail in order to prove that we are still together even though we got married and had a baby??? If yes, are they more lenient?

2) I am British Citizen and want to apply for Child/Working Tax Credits . However in her current visa it clearly states that she is not to claim public funds. Please note that she works and gets enough money to support herself. Will it prejudce her application for Indefinite Leave to Remain if I do apply for Working Tax Credits??

3) When she does gets her ILR, how long does she need to wait until she can apply for British Citizenship. I am not sure but I heard that if the person lived in UK for quite a long time then it is less than a year. She has been in UK for 8 years now.

Thank you for your help

homyachok
Newly Registered

Post by homyachok » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:52 pm

anybody?????????

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:38 am

Yes you need to provide all the mail spread over the two years if your wife is applying for ILR on the basis of being in a relationship (married or unmarried) with a British Citizen. I don't think there's any reason why they would be any more lenient because you have a child.

It's not a problem for you to claim Child benefit/Working Tax credits. Child benefit would have to be claimed by you, Working Tax Credits would have to be claimed jointly.

As a spouse of a British citizen you don't have to wait for a year after you receive ILR before you can apply for British Citizenship. So as she has been in the country long enough (more than 3 years) she can actually apply for citizenship immediately after she receives ILR.

homyachok
Newly Registered

Post by homyachok » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:21 am

thank you very much for your reply.
much appreciated!