ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS Refund for newly British Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

BritCit
Newly Registered
South Africa

NHS Refund for newly British Citizen

Post by BritCit » Tue May 08, 2018 8:38 am

Hi,

(apologies if this is not the correct place to post this)

Here is my story:

I entered the UK under an Ancestral Visa (through my Grandmother who lives in the UK). I have been living in the UK since Sept 2016 and paid the NHS surchage for the 5 years of the visa duration.

It turns out I actually should have recieved my citizenship through decent from my Mother, i applied and was successfull. In Feb 2018 I recieved my UK Passport.

I am wondering if i can get a refund for the NHS surchage for the difference of the of 3.5 years that I have paid for the NHS.

If i can, please help and point me in the right direction of whom to contact.

Thanks in advance

alterhase58
Germany

Re: NHS Refund for newly British Citizen

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:21 am

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... on/refunds

Although it doesn't mention naturalisation, it does however say that you won't get a refund for applications which don't need NHS Surcharge.

Quote:
You won’t get a refund if:
your visa application is successful but you don’t come to the UK
you leave the UK before your visa ends, for example to make a new application
you’re told to leave the UK before your visa expires
you’re applying for indefinite leave to remain or changing to another visa where you don’t need to pay the IHS
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:39 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:21 am

Although it doesn't mention naturalisation, it does however say that you won't get a refund for applications which don't need NHS Surcharge.

Quote:
you’re applying for indefinite leave to remain or changing to another visa where you don’t need to pay the IHS

This is just a ripped off!!!!
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

BritCit
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by BritCit » Wed May 09, 2018 10:45 am

alterhase58 wrote:

Quote:
Thanks for the response:

Yeah, I did see that clause, however; as I havent changed to another visa I dont see how this clause can be applied to my case.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 09, 2018 1:25 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Refunds wrote:You won’t get a refund if:
I concur with alterhase58. The way I interpret the paragraph is that if your circumstances change to one that does not require IHS to be paid (such as ILR or <<my interpretation>> moving to an application under the EEA Regulations or acquisition of British citizenship), that will still not lead to a refund of the IHS already paid. The only listed grounds for an IHS refund are if either your application is not granted or was withdrawn; i.e. your initial application did not succeed at all.

Be that as it may, the Secretary of State does have the discretionary power to give a refund under any circumstance. Obviously that discretion is not exercised nilly-willy. But you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by making a polite case for a refund, if need be, outside the rules, as you acquired your British citizenship without having gone through the entire immigration process. Furthermore, in your case, going through the immigration process would not have been required anyway.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.