ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I eligible for OCI card

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

akabaka
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Am I eligible for OCI card

Post by akabaka » Fri May 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi, I am a duel citizen of Bangladesh and UK,I was born in Bangladesh,my parents are Bangladesh national.I got married with an Indian national.Can I apply for OCI through spouse route? From this link http://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/OCI.html I can see that I can apply as spouse immediately after 2 years of marriage but as I was born in Bangladesh and my parents are Bangladeshi ,its unclear to me if I am eligible to apply or not. Please help me with the answer.

takdeerwala
India

Re: Am I eligible for OCI card

Post by takdeerwala » Wed May 16, 2018 11:29 am

A foreign national, - (i) who was a citizen of India at the time of, or at any time after 26th January, 1950; or (ii) who was eligible to become a citizen of India on 26th January, 1950; or (iii) who belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15th August, 1947; or (iv) who is a child or a grandchild or a great grandchild of such a citizen; or (v) who is a minor child of such persons mentioned above; or (vi) who is a minor child and whose both parents are citizens of India or one of the parents is a citizen of India - is eligible for registration as OCI cardholder. Besides, spouse of foreign origin of a citizen of India or spouse of foreign origin of an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder and whose marriage has been registered and subsisted for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the application is also eligible for registration as OCI cardholder. However, no person, who or either of whose parents or grandparents or great grandparents is or had been a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh or such other country as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify, shall be eligible for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder.

Citizen of Bangladesh are not eligible for OCI card.