ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spain Schengen Visa for Spouse of British Citizen

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Daz111
Newly Registered

Spain Schengen Visa for Spouse of British Citizen

Post by Daz111 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:41 am

Hello all,

We are planning on a 2 week trip to Spain in summer 2018. I am a British citizen and my Moroccan wife is residing in UK on her 2nd spouse visa. From reading the Spanish consulate website I understand that she can apply for Schengen visa as spouse of EU citizen? Therefore she does not need to apply for a tourist visa. She has a BRP card with the words spouse visa on it and not "Family member of an EU/EEA National"

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

Also in regards to providing a marriage certificate, our marriage was translated to English in Morocco and legalised & certified at the ministry of Foreign affairs of Morocco. I am assuming this is satisfactory for providing evidence of marriage certificate and not having to go to Moroccan embassy in London to legalise anything?

Anyone have experience of this?

Thanks for your time & appreciate any response.

dan1988uk
Member of Standing
Italy

Re: Spain Schengen Visa for Spouse of British Citizen

Post by dan1988uk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:08 pm

Daz111 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:41 am
Hello all,

We are planning on a 2 week trip to Spain in summer 2018. I am a British citizen and my Moroccan wife is residing in UK on her 2nd spouse visa. From reading the Spanish consulate website I understand that she can apply for Schengen visa as spouse of EU citizen? Therefore she does not need to apply for a tourist visa. She has a BRP card with the words spouse visa on it and not "Family member of an EU/EEA National"

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

Also in regards to providing a marriage certificate, our marriage was translated to English in Morocco and legalised & certified at the ministry of Foreign affairs of Morocco. I am assuming this is satisfactory for providing evidence of marriage certificate and not having to go to Moroccan embassy in London to legalise anything?

Anyone have experience of this?

Thanks for your time & appreciate any response.
Since your wife is living with you in your home country and not in another EU country she is under local (UK) immigration laws and not EU laws, so she requires a Schengen Visa to travel to Europe. Since she is the spouse of a EU national the Schengen Visa must be granted (excluding exceptional circumstances) in less than 15 days and providing only a small amount of document. You should fill the form requesting a Schengen Visa for Family Member (90 days, multiple entry) attaching the certificate of marriage. It's not necessary to attach the itinerary of your travel but if you can just attach it.

Daz111
Newly Registered

Post by Daz111 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Its as I thought, I will apply for Schengen visa for her. We only require a single entry visa to Spain and not multiple as we only intend on holidaying in Spain. According to Spanish consulate we also have to provide return tickets to Spain. How can we apply for 90 days multiple entry if we have to purchase plane tickets in advance?

This is from the Spanish consulate for ALL applications no matter the status:

"1.5 Evidence of round trip. Please note that it is required to produce evidences from the carrier companies. Information from Travel Agencies are not accepted"

Any thoughts on the legalisation of marriage certificate part?

Regards

dan1988uk
Member of Standing
Italy

Post by dan1988uk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:02 pm

Daz111 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:44 pm
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Its as I thought, I will apply for Schengen visa for her. We only require a single entry visa to Spain and not multiple as we only intend on holidaying in Spain. According to Spanish consulate we also have to provide return tickets to Spain. How can we apply for 90 days multiple entry if we have to purchase plane tickets in advance?

This is from the Spanish consulate for ALL applications no matter the status:

"1.5 Evidence of round trip. Please note that it is required to produce evidences from the carrier companies. Information from Travel Agencies are not accepted"

Any thoughts on the legalisation of marriage certificate part?
Regards
Schengen Visa issued under the directive are always 90 days/mult entry, you don't have to provide any return ticket because both of you are entitled to freedom of movement in Spain. You just need to tick the 90 days box on the form. Just provide them the prints of the travel itinerary. About the marriage certificate I think that a certified translation is enough.

Daz111
Newly Registered

Post by Daz111 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:21 pm

I have just checked the Schengen visa form provided to me by the consulate via email and there is no box for 90 Days option. Question 24. and 25 ask the following:

24. number of entries requested: Single , Two entries or Multiple
25. Duration of the intended stay indicate number of days.

I was planning on selecting single and just 14 as the numbers of days for duration. Dont seem to have any other option.

mgb

Post by mgb » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:47 pm

Tick other at field 21 and write family member EU.
How much days you need you have to decide by yourself. Max is 90 days in field 25.
Same for single entry or multi entry in field 24.
The fields marked with a asterix doesn't have to be filled out from a family member of a eu citizen.

Daz111
Newly Registered

Post by Daz111 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:00 pm

Thanks for the reply mgb. If i tick "Tourism" in field 21 will they assume we are applying for tourist visa and not visa for Spouse of EU??

Regards

mgb

Post by mgb » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:24 pm

Right, if you tick tourism you give them the opportunity to handle your application as normal tourism visa with all preconditions from the schengen law.

Daz111
Newly Registered

Post by Daz111 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:38 pm

Thanks mgb. Very helpful.

I just have one more question. In regards to writing how many days stay do I include the day i arrive and depart as they are not full days. So if our plane is due to land 9pm would that be 1st day of stay?

Cheers

mgb

Post by mgb » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:24 pm

Every day you touch is counting full as one day.
A family member of a eu citizen can get 90 days max anyway.
Simply take 5 or 10 days more than your journey is planed.

Daz111
Newly Registered

Post by Daz111 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:03 am

Thanks mgb.

There is one issue that is bugging me and not sure what to do. Our certified marriage certificate has expired passport numbers from myself and my wife written on it. Since we have been married we have had new passports as the old one expired. If I provide them with marriage certificate will I also need to give them our expired passports which match the numbers on the marriage certificate? Or will just providing our current passports be acceptable?

Any ideas?

EngV
Newly Registered

Post by EngV » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:30 am

Hi Daz,

Is there any update for your wife visa to Spain? I have been waiting for almost 3 weeks now. But still have not heard anything back from them. So I'm abit worried.

Many thanks,
Lana.

Daz111
Newly Registered

Post by Daz111 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi EngV

I havnt applied yet as it is still too early. The earliest i can apply is May.

Have you recieved your visa yet?

Regards

EngV
Newly Registered

Post by EngV » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:45 am

Hi Daz,

I just got my visa yesterday. It took more than 3 weeks abit to get it done. I had to email the Bls Spain in Edinburgh to complain about this slow process in the morning of 27 March, then in the evening of that date they informed they have made decision on my application. Don't know if I didn't complain about it, how long would it take?
But some others still get the visa after a week. So hopefully you will get it quick too :)

Daz111
Newly Registered

Post by Daz111 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:36 am

Hi EngV

Glad to know you recieved your visa. Congratulations! :)

I think its mentioned on the consulate website if the passport of the applicant is from list of specific countries it might take upto 4 weeks to process. Dont know if that applies to tourist visa only.

If i may ask was the marriage certificate you used in the application issued outside UK? And did you need to get it appostilled before applying for visa?

EngV
Newly Registered

Post by EngV » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi Daz,

My friends got the Spain visa after a weeks or few days only. That's why I emailed them to complain about it. And on Europa Commission website, it says they will need to process it quickly and within 15 days.

Regarding my marriage certificate, we married in the UK so we have no issue with it. We gave them the original one, then they copied it and returned me the original one.

Hope you will sort out yours soon.

iahmad1
Newly Registered

Post by iahmad1 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:12 am

Hi Daz,

Just have a couple of questions:

You have said "I havnt applied yet as it is still too early. The earliest i can apply is May".

We have booked a holiday to Spain for August so just wondering when you say earliest is May; When are you going to Spain and who gave you this information?

Thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:21 am

From the official guidance:
"You can only apply for a Spain visa within three months before your planned trip"

Bear in mind that the visa may take longer to issue during the peak Summer holiday period and that Spain has more Public holidays than the UK when the Consulate will be closed. :idea:
Summer:
1 May
29 May
25 July
15 August
28 August
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

iahmad1
Newly Registered

Post by iahmad1 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:39 am

Hi Casa,

So the dates you have listed above are the days when the Spanish Consulate is closed?

So basically I have to basically wait until May or middle of May, etc?

Thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:40 am

iahmad1 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:39 am
Hi Casa,

So the dates you have listed above are the days when the Spanish Consulate is closed? Yes

So basically I have to basically wait until May or middle of May, etc? Yes

Thanks
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

bilge
Newly Registered

Post by bilge » Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 pm

hi
my husband is British I am not..I have BRP card..I have planned to go Spain for 8 days with my British daughter .my husband not sure to go with me due to work..
question is I am gonna stay my cousin"s yatch in Barcelona Marine..She is not Spain residents just her yatch always in Spain ..she got shengen as well..do I have to proof accommadion ? I have paper work about that ..
I filled form tonight form says you don't have to filling that question if you are spouse EU citizen?

is marriage certificate and passport BRP enough ?Do I pay to visa fee travel with British daughter ?

my appointment next Monday
thank you

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:55 am

https://uk.blsspainvisa.com/london/eea_eu_type_visa.php

Requirements are all explained here.
bilge wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 pm
hi
my husband is British I am not..I have BRP card..I have planned to go Spain for 8 days with my British daughter .my husband not sure to go with me due to work..
question is I am gonna stay my cousin"s yatch in Barcelona Marine..She is not Spain residents just her yatch always in Spain ..she got shengen as well..do I have to proof accommadion ? I have paper work about that ..
I filled form tonight form says you don't have to filling that question if you are spouse EU citizen?

is marriage certificate and passport BRP enough ?Do I pay to visa fee travel with British daughter ?

my appointment next Monday
thank you

iahmad1
Newly Registered

Post by iahmad1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:09 pm

Hi all,

Just though I'd update my situation here:

Booked an appointment for Mid May in April. Went to said appointment as applied for 'Other' Visa (you have to check this option as there isn't one for spouse).

Waited for around 45 minutes to an hour. Everything after that took less than 5 minutes to process.

Got a text 2 weeks later or so saying Visa is ready. Collected said Visa the following week.

As long as you read everything on that web site you cant go wrong.

Thanks to all that helped on this site.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:38 am

Congratulations.
iahmad1 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:09 pm
Hi all,

Just though I'd update my situation here:

Booked an appointment for Mid May in April. Went to said appointment as applied for 'Other' Visa (you have to check this option as there isn't one for spouse).

Waited for around 45 minutes to an hour. Everything after that took less than 5 minutes to process.

Got a text 2 weeks later or so saying Visa is ready. Collected said Visa the following week.

As long as you read everything on that web site you cant go wrong.

Thanks to all that helped on this site.