ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can my son join me as Tier 1 dependant if he has already been studying in UK?

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

AnthonyHo
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Can my son join me as Tier 1 dependant if he has already been studying in UK?

Post by AnthonyHo » Fri May 04, 2018 6:33 am

Hello everyone,

My son got Tier 4 Student Visa last year and aged 14 now. I find some good opportunities in UK and I would like to apply Tier 1 Entrepreneur. But my wife would like to stay in HK for 3 more years (by then the employer voluntary contribution of her MPF, kind-of-pension of HK, is fully vetted). I have a sound business proposal and business partner, who has successful cases in UK; I have sufficient funding for investment and maintenance. However, I still have some questions.

(1) Do I qualify for Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa if my wife and my son are NOT joining my application? If so, do I qualify to apply ILR after my 5-year stay in UK?
(2) Should my son change to Tier 1 dependant if my Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa is approved but my wife is not joining me?
(3) If my ILR is approved after 5 years, could my son apply to be my dependant assuming that he is still studying at the University?
(4) Will his stay using Tier 4 visa count as part of the 5 years stay requirement of ILR?

I am sorry that I have so many questions and I cannot express my questions clear enough. Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Anthony.

marcnath

Re: Can my son join me as Tier 1 dependant if he has already been studying in UK?

Post by marcnath » Fri May 04, 2018 7:08 am

AnthonyHo wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:33 am

(1) Do I qualify for Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa if my wife and my son are NOT joining my application? If so, do I qualify to apply ILR after my 5-year stay in UK?
Sure - no requirement in the rules that you should be accompanied by your family. But assuming you may be travelling often to HK, watch out for the absence limits when it is time for ILR.
AnthonyHo wrote:
(2) Should my son change to Tier 1 dependant if my Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa is approved but my wife is not joining me?
I can't anything that would prevent that. However, it is possibly easier for your wife to also apply to make the travel to UK easier if she is visiting for long periods.
AnthonyHo wrote:
(3) If my ILR is approved after 5 years, could my son apply to be my dependant assuming that he is still studying at the University?
Not unless your wife is also getting ILR at the same time or you have sole custody.
AnthonyHo wrote:
(4) Will his stay using Tier 4 visa count as part of the 5 years stay requirement of ILR?
There is no 5 year stay requirement for chlld ILR. But both parents must have ILR, so the 5 year will apply to your wife.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can my son join me as Tier 1 dependant if he has already been studying in UK?

Post by CR001 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:17 am

Your son is likely to face a refusal as your dependent as the other parent is not also applying at the same time.

The childs application will fail in terms of immigration rule 319H(f)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ly-members
(f) Both of the applicant’s parents must either be lawfully present (other than as a visitor) in the UK, or being granted entry clearance or leave to remain (other than as a visitor) at the same time as the applicant or one parent must be lawfully present (other than as a visitor) in the UK and the other is being granted entry clearance or leave to remain (other than as a visitor) at the same time as the applicant, unless:
(i) The Relevant Points Based System Migrant is the applicant’s sole surviving parent, or
(ii) The Relevant Points Based System Migrant parent has and has had sole responsibility for the applicant’s upbringing, or
(iii) there are serious or compelling family or other considerations which would make it desirable not to refuse the application and suitable arrangements have been made in the UK for the applicant’s care.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri May 04, 2018 8:18 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

AnthonyHo
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by AnthonyHo » Sat May 05, 2018 6:22 am

Thank you marcnath, CR001 and vinny. May I ask for your favours again? I would like to confirm my understanding.

Scenario 1:
My Son: 2017 (Tier 4) --->2021 (age 17, Apply Tier 1 dependant together with my wife)--->2026 (Apply ILR)
Myself: 2018 (Tier 1 E)---->2023 (Apply ILR)
My Wife: 2021 (Apply Tier 1 dependant together with our son.) --->2026 (Apply ILR)

In this case, can I apply ILR in 2023 after complete my 5-years stay? If so, can my wife and my son keep renewing their Tier 1 dependant visa?

Scenario 2:
My Son: 2017 (Tier 4) --->2021 (age 17, Apply Tier 1 dependant together with my wife)--->2026 (Apply ILR)
Myself: 2018 (Tier 1 E)----------------->2026 (Apply ILR)
My Wife: 2021 (Apply Tier 1 dependant together with our son.) --->2026 (Apply ILR)

Is it a viable scenario? Can I continue my Tier 1 visa till both my wife and my son fulfil the 5-years stay requirements to apply ILR together?

Thank you for your advice.

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Sat May 05, 2018 10:56 am

AnthonyHo wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 6:22 am
Thank you marcnath, CR001 and vinny. May I ask for your favours again? I would like to confirm my understanding.

Scenario 1:
Myself: 2018 (Tier 1 E)---->2023 (Apply ILR)

In this case, can I apply ILR in 2023 after complete my 5-years stay? If so, can my wife and my son keep renewing their Tier 1 dependant visa?
Yes to both your questions with the caveat that, once your son passes 18, he can only be a dependant if he is not independent (e.g. not working)
AnthonyHo wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 6:22 am
Scenario 2:
Myself: 2018 (Tier 1 E)----------------->2026 (Apply ILR)

Is it a viable scenario? Can I continue my Tier 1 visa till both my wife and my son fulfil the 5-years stay requirements to apply ILR together?

Thank you for your advice.
Yes to both again with the same caveat as above. But not sure why anyone would use this scenario
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat May 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Strangely, over 18 year olds may work?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

AnthonyHo
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by AnthonyHo » Sun May 06, 2018 11:02 am

I am assume my son will still studying in the university so he is still a dependant.

AnthonyHo
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by AnthonyHo » Sun May 06, 2018 2:26 pm

Dear Marcnath and Vinny, Thank you for your time.

Dear Vinny, I re-read your link and CR001's reply. I really appreciated you could spend a few minutes to confirm my following understanding.

(1) My son and my wife can apply Tier 1 dependants together in 2021 when my wife quits her job and joins us. There is a reasonable chance of success if other conditions are met.

(2) They can apply ILR together with me. If my application is successful, then we should have ILR together.

Thank you very much for your help. Thank you.

Anthony.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 06, 2018 2:42 pm

Your son (and wife) must initially apply as a PBS dependants before he is 18.

Wife requires at least 5 years as a PBS dependant before being eligible for ILR.
Son may apply for ILR at the same time as her, assuming you have or are applying for ILR.

AnthonyHo
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by AnthonyHo » Mon May 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Vinny,

Thank you very much for your patience and helps.

Anthony.