ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Using UK passport to freely travel in EU

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Davec

Using UK passport to freely travel in EU

Post by Davec » Sun May 20, 2018 10:42 am

The UK formally leaves the EU at the end of March 2019. But does this mean that from that date forwards, we cannot use the UK passport to travel across EU countries freely, as is the case now? I tried to find this out, but got nowhere and the problem is that the UK leaves the EU in stages. At which of these stages is the UK passport not valid to travel across the EU freely?

takdeerwala
India

Re: Using UK passport to freely travel in EU

Post by takdeerwala » Sun May 20, 2018 10:52 am

Nothing is confirmed as of now. Probably an Online form and a small fees (10 Euros) will give prior authorization before entering EU. Similar to what British Passport holders need to do before going to USA, Canada. ESTA for travel. For any long term stay, visa might be required.

Davec

Post by Davec » Sun May 20, 2018 11:27 am

What's running through my mind. My mother was born in Ireland and it should be quite easy for me to get an Irish passport. This passport will allow me to continue to travel across EU countries with no hassle. But I ask myself if I need to take the step of applying now for the Irish passport if I can still use my UK passport for a time after March 2019 to continue to travel freely across EU countries.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Maybe it's worth applying now - when the crunch comes (i.e. people realising the gravity of the situation) then you are ahead of the curve.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

fielddrive

Post by fielddrive » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Luck favours the prepared :lol: