ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I think I got caught over speeding

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

siddtrim361
Newly Registered

I think I got caught over speeding

Post by siddtrim361 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:16 pm

Note: Could any senior member respond to this query, I would highly appreciate.

Hi,
I am really sorry that I have to put this topic here. But I am very upset and afraid and don't know what to do.

I am very upset as I hold ILR and I was about to apply for British naturalisation in July this year 2018, I don't know what will happen as the following incident happen with me today.

What happened today is that while i was driving on the road, I saw the board stating speed limit is 50mph so I dropped my speed to 44mph, however right after 50mph board there was another board of 30mph, which I was unable to see, as it was just right after 50mph board, so I missed it and keeping in my mind that its 50mph I maintained the speed of 44mph, however I realised that everything is ok or not, as the car behind me was very slow, I passed the cameras with 44mph speed, then as soon as I realise that something might be wrong, I went through the same road again and found my mistake that it was 50mph speed board and right after that with a few yards distance it was 30mph board which i missed unintentionally. My wife was with me and I asked her to take a photograph evidence.

Its an honest mistake. I hold my full licence since 2011 and never had any points or convictions on me in any way. I am nice clean person with no signs of criminal record.

Now I am afraid that I might be caught on camera speeding on 44mph on a 30mph road. I don't know what will happen and what steps I need to take. I know for British citizenship/naturalisation you need to meet the "good character requirement", I don't want to go to court as I have heard that if you go to court it will be taken as negative, I don't know how many points I will get on my licence, whether I have to go to court for this, or will I just get points and get fined, or its something where court will ask me to come.

I am very very down at the moment as I am a very good driver and never had any issue like this, and its such a dilemma.

I don't know what I need to do, whether to accept anything i get in the form of fixed points and fine, or what shall i do if I was asked to visit court.

I really want to apply for British citizenship and want to make sure I am doing everything i could to get through this in the best way possible without getting my application refused.

Now I have to wait for 14 days to see if I get anything by post about speeding, I hope I should be a lucky person not to receive anything about it.

I don't know what will be the consequences. Please help me what I need to do in any circumstances.

Regards.
Sddtrim

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: I think I got caught over speeding

Post by dontringthebell » Mon May 28, 2018 10:59 pm

Don't worry if this is the first time, and if you have been recorded, they will send you a notice with two options,

Either accept points and pay fine of 100 GBP or pay 100 GBP and attend a speed awareness course.

Only thing you would loose is 100GBP.

Speeding fines are not taken very seriously until they are many in number and in short duration. It's not penalty or conviction or reprimand and does not have to be declared under conviction on citizenship application, rather you have to mention as additional information.

All would be well.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Tue May 29, 2018 7:40 am

siddtrim361 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi,
I am really sorry that I have to put this topic here. But I am very upset and afraid and don't know what to do.

I am very upset as I hold ILR and I was about to apply for British naturalisation in July this year 2018, I don't know what will happen as the following incident happen with me today.

What happened today is that while i was driving on the road, I saw the board stating speed limit is 50mph so I dropped my speed to 44mph, however right after 50mph board there was another board of 30mph, which I was unable to see, as it was just right after 50mph board, so I missed it and keeping in my mind that its 50mph I maintained the speed of 44mph, however I realised that everything is ok or not, as the car behind me was very slow, I passed the cameras with 44mph speed, then as soon as I realise that something might be wrong, I went through the same road again and found my mistake that it was 50mph speed board and right after that with a few yards distance it was 30mph board which i missed unintentionally. My wife was with me and I asked her to take a photograph evidence.

Its an honest mistake. I hold my full licence since 2011 and never had any points or convictions on me in any way. I am nice clean person with no signs of criminal record.

Now I am afraid that I might be caught on camera speeding on 44mph on a 30mph road. I don't know what will happen and what steps I need to take. I know for British citizenship/naturalisation you need to meet the "good character requirement", I don't want to go to court as I have heard that if you go to court it will be taken as negative, I don't know how many points I will get on my licence, whether I have to go to court for this, or will I just get points and get fined, or its something where court will ask me to come.

I am very very down at the moment as I am a very good driver and never had any issue like this, and its such a dilemma.

I don't know what I need to do, whether to accept anything i get in the form of fixed points and fine, or what shall i do if I was asked to visit court.

I really want to apply for British citizenship and want to make sure I am doing everything i could to get through this in the best way possible without getting my application refused.

Now I have to wait for 14 days to see if I get anything by post about speeding, I hope I should be a lucky person not to receive anything about it.

I don't know what will be the consequences. Please help me what I need to do in any circumstances.

Regards.
Sddtrim
I think you are just overthinking and assuming things. You cannot conclude till you get something in post, wait for 14 days, if nothing comes in post in next 14days, you are fine.

muraenidae

Post by muraenidae » Tue May 29, 2018 8:41 am

siddtrim361 wrote:

Hi,

Regards.
Sddtrim
Did you see a flash? Quite often the cameras are not even turned on.

Anyway, if you did get caught: You will get a letter giving you the option to accept a 100 pound fine and 3 points on your licence (fixed penalty notice). Sometimes you also have the option to attend driver education for a few hours and avoid the points.

But either way, it won't affect your naturalisation application. Fixed penalty notices are only a problem if you get lots of them in a short time. With just one, they won't care.

englishrose198
India

Post by englishrose198 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:00 am

Even if you get points, its not a big issue as long as you have not many on your account in the last one year. Seriously, you are over thinking and from my experience this won't effect your application.

Now whether to accept the point or appealing to court is your decision but in either case there is nothing to worry. If its me I would pay the fine and declare it in my application.

siddtrim361
Newly Registered

Post by siddtrim361 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 am

Guys thank you so much, honestly it was on my nerves since this incident happen yesterday, when I see your replies, I am getting a bit relaxed, however I am still curious to see what will happen. I really don't want to have any issue with my naturalisation application as I worked too hard to keep things in order, and something like this happen and I felt its just a bad luck.

I hope things will be ok, and keep your replies rolling as I really need to clam down.

Regards.
Siddtrim

englishrose198
India

Post by englishrose198 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:57 am

No problem. Can understand the stress you are going through.
Not an issue as long as you qualify for all other requirements and not having 'many' such tickets in the last one year.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue May 29, 2018 1:04 pm

You need first wait and see if you were in fact caught speeding. Also speeding in 99% cases will not affect your naturalisation application
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

siddtrim361
Newly Registered

Post by siddtrim361 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks Zimba88, I appreciate you replied, I will wait and see what happen, and I will give updates on this forum and see what happen and will receive valuable advice on this forum.

Regards
Siddtrim

arm007
Newly Registered

Post by arm007 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:20 am

Hi
Let me give u live example.
I got 3 points plus 120 gbp fine for over-speeding 6 months ago.
Applied citizenship in april and MashAllah got approval yesterday.

Dont worry it wont effect ur citizenship App.

siddtrim361
Newly Registered

Post by siddtrim361 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:46 am

Thanks arm007 for providing me the example, Let me see what happen. I will update it here.

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Wed May 30, 2018 9:17 am

Do not panic. Overspeeding doesnt represents your character :-)
This will not affect your naturalisation (unless ofcourse you have killed somebody - which clearly you have not -- so dont kill yourself over it as well )

This isolated incident will not affect your application process.

Beside, it is always good to follow traffic rules regardless of your application process. Good for all fellow drivers too
siddtrim361 wrote:

Hi,

Regards.
Sddtrim

siddtrim361
Newly Registered

Post by siddtrim361 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:57 am

Thank you so much Chetan for your reply, its a relief, I will keep an eye in next 14 days and see if I receive anything.

Regards
Siddtrim