ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of Abode (within UK) - Processing Times

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Hiri
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - 2017 Processing Times

Post by Hiri » Mon May 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi everyone, I’ve just joined this forum. I see that a few of you received your confirmation of ROA application from the Home Office in early Feb 2018 and I’m wondering if your passport with visa has arrived yet? I got my confirmation email and letter on Feb 12th 2018 but still no passport (14th May 2018).
My sister’s ROA was processed in 2 months last year. Her passport was posted through her letterbox even though she’d provided a registered mail, signed for envelope. I’m beginning to worry that my application has been processed but my passport is lost in the post.
I’ve searched and searched but can’t find a way to talk to anyone in the Home Office to ask if they still have my passport and documents, or if they are lost. Have any of you tried to contact them about your applications?
I’m now having to cancel flights and travel plans... very upsetting.
Thank you, any info you can share would be really appreciated.

jsv12
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by jsv12 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi there, I'm also still waiting for my ROA after nearly 4 months! UKVI received and processed my application on 7th February and I am still waiting for it today (nearly June!!). Interestingly, my wife's application sent on the same day as mine (but in a different envelope) was completed successfully within 4 weeks. Does anyone have any updates (for those who are still waiting)? This is getting stressful as I have to travel in mid August.

Hiri
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Hiri » Wed May 30, 2018 10:24 am

Hi jsv12, I’m still waiting, it’s almost 4 months for me as well. 5 years ago, my ROA was processed in 4 weeks. I have the feeling that Home Office staff have been diverted to deal with the Windrush backlog and my application is stuck in a pile somewhere.
Can I ask if your wife got a letter of approval before her passport, or just the passport? Also, did she sign for it or was it just posted through your letterbox?
There doesn’t seem to be a way of talking to a human at the Home Office to find out what’s going on, unless my ROA has taken over 6 months to process. So frustrating!!
Please message me when your passport arrives and I will do the same. Thanks.

jsv12
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by jsv12 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi Hiri,
My wife application was received by UKVI on 6th Feb (one day before mine although I posted on the same day), and on 14th March she's got back her passport with the ROA attached inside as well as a letter. We did supply a Special Delivery envelope for the return though, so she signed for it. Yes, it is very frustrating indeed, I really hope I'll get it back within the 6 months!

Somersetaussi
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by Somersetaussi » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi, just wondering what the processing time is atm if anyone knows? I got confirmation of application on Feb 6th.. and am still waiting.. 16weeks now. I haven’t been able to work since I renewed my passport in January! I work in a special needs school and my police clearance is not valid without my passport and right to abode! I have lived here 22 yrs, am married to a Brit and have 3 aussi/Brit children. This is a crazy system!!! 10 years ago when I last renewed it took 3 weeks to process!!! I am in shock and disgusted that there is no way of working while it processes!

Somersetaussi
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by Somersetaussi » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:48 pm

Hiri wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:47 pm
Hi everyone, I’ve just joined this forum. I see that a few of you received your confirmation of ROA application from the Home Office in early Feb 2018 and I’m wondering if your passport with visa has arrived yet? I got my confirmation email and letter on Feb 12th 2018 but still no passport (14th May 2018).
My sister’s ROA was processed in 2 months last year. Her passport was posted through her letterbox even though she’d provided a registered mail, signed for envelope. I’m beginning to worry that my application has been processed but my passport is lost in the post.
I’ve searched and searched but can’t find a way to talk to anyone in the Home Office to ask if they still have my passport and documents, or if they are lost. Have any of you tried to contact them about your applications?
I’m now having to cancel flights and travel plans... very upsetting.
Thank you, any info you can share would be really appreciated.
Hi, I am in the same position.. just posted about it.. 6th of feb my confirmation of renewal application came.. 4th June today and still nothing! 🤬😭 I cant work until it comes back! I lost my dream job because of this crap system!!

Somersetaussi
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by Somersetaussi » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:52 am

I am watching the post box every day!!! I also lost my dream job! I have worked so hard to get there, doing my BA Hons, whilst raising my family and working, paying taxes, living and working like a British citizen.. which is what the roa is meant to be!! I feel like an illegal immigrant atm! I am so tempted to take this travesty to the media! How dare they take 6 months to process our renewals!! They have no idea the impact they have! 19weeks and counting........

Mozzietheaussie
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Mozzietheaussie » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:41 am

Hi
Does anyone have an update on the processing times currently?
I received confirmation on Feb 14th.
I wrote and called twice each but nothing just get "you have to wait the full six months" .
I've a holiday booked in the beginning of August and getting really worried now as I've had nothing back at all, just means my son and I can't go away which is really frustrating as it's a huge crowd going, when I first got my original ROA ten years ago I had it all back within two months, just can't understand if they have all the documents including that ROA it's taking so long to process.
Any updates would be gratefully received.

Somersetaussi
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by Somersetaussi » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:30 am

Still waiting for mine... just passed the 5 month mark 😩 I got mine in a week earlier than you and had confirmation on the 6th Feb...

Mozzietheaussie
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Mozzietheaussie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:06 pm

I can't figure out why it's such a drawn out process, I am suppose to go away in three weeks, doubt that will happen now....
Could you keep me updated with what's going on with yours?

Somersetaussi
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by Somersetaussi » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:36 pm

:evil: :evil: I don't know why its such a long drawn out process now!! I had it back in 3 weeks, 10 years ago when I last renewed! I have lived and worked in the UK for the last 22 years as an integrated, tax paying, citizen... this does not make me feel much like a citizen!! I have a new job lined up for September, after having to leave my current job due to this process!! My 6 mths processing time will be up on the 6th August, and my new job is in jeopardy if I can not prove my right to live and work here!! Really they would like me to get my new DBS this side of the summer holidays so I can start immediately in September. Our families finances are going down the pan, having been reduced to a 1 income family for the last 5 mths!!!!! I will be definitely getting my citizenship before it is due for renewal next time!! We can't go through this again!!!! loss of earnings and the cost of the ROA (and renewal of Aussi passport) have mounted up/// it would have been cheaper to get my citizenship this time/!! But I didn't expect this delay when I sent it off!! arghhhhhhhhhh 5mths 4 days waiting

msia888
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by msia888 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi Somersetaussi,

A long wait for me too:

- Sent application for my daughter on 10th Feb 2018 (her passport expired and hence the ROA)
- Letter of acknowledgement on 13th Feb 2018 but still no news after close to 5 months!

Anyone had any success contacting UKVI?

Mozzietheaussie
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Mozzietheaussie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:17 pm

I've called, written and emailed but just get told to wait the 6 months, my passport didn't run out till November coming but as you need six months on it to return to the UK / traveling, as I booked a holiday last may I thought I'd get it done early, got it renewed in January sent of for roa think I'd rather of risked the six months on my passport now then waiting this long... Anyone had any news?

KiwiAnge
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by KiwiAnge » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:22 pm

I sent my application off in February thinking I'd well and truly have it by now. This is my 3rd time applying and this is taking longer than all other times combined! I've got a trip to Paris booked right on the 6 months since application and getting nervous.. I don't get why this is taking so long - has anyone who has applied in February gotten theirs back? I paid for registered post return and wondering if it will expire (do they expire?) before it comes back..

Mozzietheaussie
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Mozzietheaussie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 pm

It's finally arrived this very minute!
Confirmation email 14th February 2018
Passport in my hand 19th July 2018
Hope yours all appear soon.
Good luck.

KiwiAnge
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by KiwiAnge » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Mozzietheaussie wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 pm
It's finally arrived this very minute!
Confirmation email 14th February 2018
Passport in my hand 19th July 2018
Hope yours all appear soon.
Good luck.
Ah thanks! congrats and hoping I should get mine next week!

msia888
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by msia888 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:53 pm

msia888 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 pm
Hi Somersetaussi,

A long wait for me too:

- Sent application for my daughter on 10th Feb 2018 (her passport expired and hence the ROA)
- Letter of acknowledgement on 13th Feb 2018 but still no news after close to 5 months!

Anyone had any success contacting UKVI?
Finally got it today. Passport & supporting documents were delivered in the self addressed special delivery envelope provided.

Confirmation letter 13th Feb 2018, ROA received 20th July 2018. 157 days (5 months+) wait time!

jtshark
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by jtshark » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:17 pm

I have been in the UK for 15 years

first time I got my ROA it took 3 weeks--last time I renewed it it took 4 weeks

This time around I put my paper work in on March 5th and I am still waiting for it

Nice to know I am not the only one getting yanked around this time

inthewaitingroom
Newly Registered

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - 2018 Processing Times

Post by inthewaitingroom » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:51 am

Mailed Appln. (to Liverpool) May 5, 2018
Rec'd Letter of Acknowledgment May 14, 2018
Rec'd Passport with CofE September 19, 2018

Just over 18 weeks.

raj23127777
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Re: Right of Abode (within UK) - 2018 Processing Times

Post by raj23127777 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi, Just received my COE- Right of abode today. My timeline as below;
Sent application by post 22/5/18
Money deducted- 28/5/18
Confirmation email received on 29/5/18
Passport returned by 2nd class signed on 26/9/18
Overall , just over 4 months for a sticker which is totally absurd. Hope others who applied will get it soon Thanks.

add22
Newly Registered

Post by add22 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 pm

Hi all, I sent my application ROA on 16th May 2018, two days later notice the home office inserted the 372 pounds into my acc and then took the money back out,however my money for the processing fee is still there untouch,and till now present there is no letter of acknowledgement or any news regarding my application.just send a letter to the HO for them to get back to me regarding this and also regarding the process.Anybody experience this bfore? thanks.

Petemate
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Petemate » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Hi all. This is my experience and I think it is the best way to get this document in your passport.
Apply as normal, pay the fee and send away all your necessary documents.
After your documents have been received, you can request your passport and any other documents be returned.
This can take up to 10 working days.
You can do this without cancelling your application.
Simply visit the return my documents section on their website.
It is very important when doing this to select the British nationality option when selecting your application category.
You will be asked if you want to keep your application or cancel it.
Of course you'll keep it.
In a few days you'll get your passport back with a letter explaining that your application is still being processed and when they are ready to complete your application, they'll send another letter asking for your passport.
You need to be able to send them your passport within 10 working days if I remember correctly or they automatically assume you no longer want to apply.

Yes, it's an archaic, slow, paper based application with plenty of scope for problems but if you need your passport with you, just do it this way.

Good luck!

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:00 am

Bukka2013 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:43 pm
Hi,

Recd my son’s ROA in less than 2 months. Thanks once again for all your help and guidance

BW
Bukka
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sshanmug

Post by sshanmug » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi,

I have made an application online for RoA within UK for my son last week. Just want to know if there is any biometric enrolment for the same?

Kindly confirm.

Thanks and Regards,
Senthil

jemstoane
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by jemstoane » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:35 pm

Petemate wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Hi all. This is my experience and I think it is the best way to get this document in your passport.
Apply as normal, pay the fee and send away all your necessary documents.
After your documents have been received, you can request your passport and any other documents be returned.
This can take up to 10 working days.
You can do this without cancelling your application.
Simply visit the return my documents section on their website.
It is very important when doing this to select the British nationality option when selecting your application category.
You will be asked if you want to keep your application or cancel it.
Of course you'll keep it.
In a few days you'll get your passport back with a letter explaining that your application is still being processed and when they are ready to complete your application, they'll send another letter asking for your passport.
You need to be able to send them your passport within 10 working days if I remember correctly or they automatically assume you no longer want to apply.

Yes, it's an archaic, slow, paper based application with plenty of scope for problems but if you need your passport with you, just do it this way.

Good luck!
I have been residing/travelling in and out of the UK with an old ROA in a cancelled passport, and my current passport and have never had a problem for over 10 years. This is perfectly adequate for travel in and out of the UK and satisfies most places of employment.
However, I recently got a job with a bank and they insisted it was in my current passport. I applied online and paid the £370 on November 22 sending both passports special delivery , expecting it to take a month or two.
I called the Home Office (yes you can finally get someone if you listen to all the options) and was never told about this option and that they could not comment on individual cases - and that it could take between 3 and 11 months. I was never informed about the option of getting my documents back by the agent, and had travel booked prior to sending my passports off.
I just went through the process described by Pete, and am hoping to get the passports returned in time for my travel - I chose the British Nationality option and to keep my application open.
Lets see what happens - and that there is method to the madness......
watch this space

Many thanks Petemate