ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sarlouisesmith
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by sarlouisesmith » Sun May 06, 2018 4:52 pm

AngelaHawkes wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:57 pm
AngelaHawkes wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:55 pm
sarlouisesmith wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:04 pm
AngelaHawkes wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:17 pm
Hello everyone,

This board has been very helpful! Thanks to all who have posted.

My application was received and the money taken from the account about three weeks ago. I'm wondering if people received their request for biometrics through an emailed letter or through the postal service. I haven't gotten anything yet, and yes I'm getting impatient. Is the letter or email from the UK or a US address?

Also, in my confirmation email there is an email address for questions and FAQs? Has anyone ever queried them through this?

Thank you!
Hi Angela,

Have you received any updates? About a week ago I finally received an email re: biometrics appt and yesterday I received the appt confirmation for next week in Buffalo. I just wanted to check in to see if you had received anything yet and to assure you it's coming! :)
Hi,

Congrats! Thank you for the update. I have not yet received anything. May I ask on what date you got email confirmation on your application. My date was March 22.

I'll post here when I get an appointment...hopefully soon. :)

I really appreciate your update!!
Okay, I just scrolled back and saw where you listed your dates.
This message board is super confusing to follow - haha! But I'm glad you found the dates. It seems like you should be hearing from them any day now! It took them a week after they requested dates from me before they emailed me back with the appointment and the document with the barcode I'll need for Tuesday.

tlmnash
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by tlmnash » Mon May 07, 2018 7:50 pm

I just completed my biometric test in Los Angeles (I was the first person at this facility to come in for a UK passport) - they gave me a form that had info regarding mailing in the receipt from the biometric, but there were different addresses and I didn't understand what to do next. I called the number on the form (1.37 pounds per minute, about $15 out of my checking) and those people didn't know either. I think the office here gave me the wrong info - what did others do after taking the biometric test in the US? Did you mail in the receipt...if so, where? Anything else?
Thanks
Tracy

coeho
Newly Registered
Luxembourg

Post by coeho » Tue May 08, 2018 3:23 pm

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this forum. This forum has been invaluable given the inability to contact the Home Office regarding specific application questions.

My application was very straightforward. Born to a British mother and American father, I spend my childhood hopping between the UK and the States. I currently live in Luxembourg and did not feel comfortable parting with my passport. So I sent an unverified copy of my passport. I had no issues with sending a copy of my passport.

Here is the timeline for my application...

9 Feb 2018: Sent application 2-day post (tracked) while visiting the U.K. from Luxembourg. I also sent a prepaid envelope to mail my documents back to Luxembourg

12 Feb 2018: Application received (per Post Office tracking) but received no email confirmation

5 Mar 2017: Received letter from Home Office confirming that my application had been received and requesting that I enrol my biometrics. I was told to go to a Post Office Ltd. to enrol my biometrics. No options close to Luxembourg were offered.

17 Mar 2018: Fly to London for the day to enrol my biometrics

30 Apr 2018: Return of documents and acceptance letter (via mail, dated 23 Apr 2018).

I am currently awaiting a letter with a date and time for the citizenship ceremony.

sarlouisesmith
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sarlouisesmith » Wed May 09, 2018 1:52 pm

tlmnash wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:50 pm
I just completed my biometric test in Los Angeles (I was the first person at this facility to come in for a UK passport) - they gave me a form that had info regarding mailing in the receipt from the biometric, but there were different addresses and I didn't understand what to do next. I called the number on the form (1.37 pounds per minute, about $15 out of my checking) and those people didn't know either. I think the office here gave me the wrong info - what did others do after taking the biometric test in the US? Did you mail in the receipt...if so, where? Anything else?
Thanks
Tracy
Hi Tracy,

I am also confused about this because the same thing happened to me yesterday in Buffalo. I'm not really sure what to do but I have been searching back through the posts because I thought someone said they didn't need to do anything else? Perhaps it was on another board?

tlmnash
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by tlmnash » Fri May 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Update - I called another number in the UK and was told not to do anything after the biometric. I was told if the Home Office needed anything else they would contact me by mail. She did say that if I hadn't heard anything after six months from sending in my application, to contact them. For me that would be Mid-June. If I don't hear anything by the end of June I'll call back.

sarlouisesmith
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sarlouisesmith » Fri May 11, 2018 7:07 pm

Thank you so much for the update, Tracy! I really appreciate it. I didn't think we needed to do anything else because it's all electronic anyway. It sounds like we applied around the same time so keep us posted!

smurray
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by smurray » Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 pm

So happy to have found this forum!

I am at the beg stage of my UKM application and am confused about the biometrics portion.

From what I have read on here, it appears I am prompted to acquire the biometrics and submit upon request.

Any insight or wisdom you could impart on me would be deeply appreciated.

About me:
Canadian resident, living in Canada
Born before 1983
British mother
Female applicant

Excited to finally be doing this but it seems like a lot of work!!!!

AngelaHawkes
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by AngelaHawkes » Tue May 15, 2018 9:58 pm

They will contact you via email to arrange biometrics after they have received your application. I submitted my application in March and just today received an email explaining how to arrange your biometrics enrollment. Hope that helps!

sepata
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by sepata » Fri May 25, 2018 8:39 am

Just received my UK passport, and these boards have been a great help, so here goes.

Eligibility: like the OP my case is non-standard. Both my parents were born in Australia and only my paternal grandfather was UK born. However, my parents married before 1.1.49, when my father became a CUKC by descent (under BNA 1948) and my mother, through marriage, became a CUKC other than by descent. I was born after 1949 (and before 1983), so acquired right of abode in the UK from my grandfather, and when section 4C of BNA 1981 was amended in 2010 to end gender discrimination, I could acquire British citizenship through my mother (section 4C(5) confirms her status as a citizen otherwise than by descent).

Method of application: UKM form. I confirmed my eligibility through whatpassport.com, but baulked at their legal fees, so argued my own case in a covering letter.

2/10/2017 – Application posted registered mail (I needed my passport for imminent travel so sent a photocopy of the title page certified as a true copy by one of my witnesses).
13/10/2017 – Application receipt acknowledged by email, citizenship ceremony fee debited from credit card the same day
23/10/2017 – Biometric enrolment email received. Booked an appointment online with VFS Global.
26/10/2017 - Biometric enrolment completed (10 minutes, free, passport shown) at VFS Global Melbourne, Australia.
20/02/2018 – Approval letter received (dated 02/02/2018) and documents returned.
19/03/2018 – Nice call from British High Commission (Canberra) congratulating me and asking where I wanted to attend the citizenship ceremony
04/04/2018 – Ceremony date advised by British Consulate Melbourne (email)
26/04/2018 – Citizenship ceremony completed and certificate received.
26/04/2018 - Passport applied for online
08/05/2018 – Passport application posted registered mail
25/05/2018 – Passport delivered by courier

So that's one week shy of 8 months all up from go to passport.

coeho
Newly Registered
Luxembourg

Post by coeho » Fri May 25, 2018 11:14 am

coeho wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:23 pm
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this forum. This forum has been invaluable given the inability to contact the Home Office regarding specific application questions.

My application was very straightforward. Born to a British mother and American father, I spent my childhood hopping between the UK and the States. I currently live in Luxembourg and did not feel comfortable parting with my US passport. So I sent an uncertified copy of my passport. I had no issues with sending a copy of my passport.

Here is the timeline for my application...

9 Feb 2018: Sent application 2-day post (tracked) while visiting the U.K. from Luxembourg. I also sent a prepaid envelope to mail my documents back to Luxembourg

12 Feb 2018: Application received (per Post Office tracking) but received no email confirmation

5 Mar 2017: Received letter from Home Office confirming that my application had been received and requesting that I enrol my biometrics. I was told to go to a Post Office Ltd. to enrol my biometrics. No options close to Luxembourg were offered.

17 Mar 2018: Fly to London for the day to enrol my biometrics

30 Apr 2018: Return of documents and acceptance letter (via mail, dated 23 Apr 2018).

I am currently awaiting a letter with a date and time for the citizenship ceremony.

Lisanduk
Newly Registered

Post by Lisanduk » Thu May 31, 2018 11:13 pm

Just received my documents and acceptance letter!! Thank you to everyone on this forum for the answers to many questions. Just shy of 6 months, now awaiting citizenship ceremony and then apply for UK passport!! So excited to be a legal Brit!

JamieandLaine
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by JamieandLaine » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:49 am

sepata wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:39 am
Just received my UK passport, and these boards have been a great help, so here goes.

Eligibility: like the OP my case is non-standard. Both my parents were born in Australia and only my paternal grandfather was UK born. However, my parents married before 1.1.49, when my father became a CUKC by descent (under BNA 1948) and my mother, through marriage, became a CUKC other than by descent. I was born after 1949 (and before 1983), so acquired right of abode in the UK from my grandfather, and when section 4C of BNA 1981 was amended in 2010 to end gender discrimination, I could acquire British citizenship through my mother (section 4C(5) confirms her status as a citizen otherwise than by descent).

Method of application: UKM form. I confirmed my eligibility through whatpassport.com, but baulked at their legal fees, so argued my own case in a covering letter.

2/10/2017 – Application posted registered mail (I needed my passport for imminent travel so sent a photocopy of the title page certified as a true copy by one of my witnesses).
13/10/2017 – Application receipt acknowledged by email, citizenship ceremony fee debited from credit card the same day
23/10/2017 – Biometric enrolment email received. Booked an appointment online with VFS Global.
26/10/2017 - Biometric enrolment completed (10 minutes, free, passport shown) at VFS Global Melbourne, Australia.
20/02/2018 – Approval letter received (dated 02/02/2018) and documents returned.
19/03/2018 – Nice call from British High Commission (Canberra) congratulating me and asking where I wanted to attend the citizenship ceremony
04/04/2018 – Ceremony date advised by British Consulate Melbourne (email)
26/04/2018 – Citizenship ceremony completed and certificate received.
26/04/2018 - Passport applied for online
08/05/2018 – Passport application posted registered mail
25/05/2018 – Passport delivered by courier

So that's one week shy of 8 months all up from go to passport.
Hello,
I am also applying for BC. Can you tell me how your approval letter was delivered? Did it come via courier or vfaglobal?

Paul_S
Newly Registered

Post by Paul_S » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:22 am

Hello

I have been perusing this thread and would first like to say I have found the information here an incredible asset! :)

I am in the process of finishing my details for form UKM and hope to have it submitted sometime next week. I do have a couple questions regarding it that I hope the wisdom of the posters on this thread may enlighten me.

1. How important is my mothers UK passport? Will a cover letter suffice explaining that when she herself became a US citizen (1987) that she does not recall it being returned to her? I have a copy of her first US passport (only first page) that shows her place of birth as England. I also have her naturalization papers for US that shows her as being British. Would either of these documents help or hinder my application? I do have her birth certificate I received recently from the GRO.

2. Is there anyway to have any of the process expedited as I am going thru the UKM route to move to the UK from the US to be with my spouse who also has a disability.

3. I have noticed many shared that they had attended citizenship ceremonies in their home country. Is this a requirement as I have family and friends in the UK who suggested I can do it there. It would be my preference to do in UK to be honest :) ... reason for a party etc...

Thank you in advance for any of your replies. :) :) :)

sepata
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by sepata » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:32 am

JamieandLaine wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:49 am

Hello,
I am also applying for BC. Can you tell me how your approval letter was delivered? Did it come via courier or vfaglobal?
Approval letter came from UKVI in Liverpool via DHL. All correspondence comes from UKVI. VFS Global is just an agency.

Btw, my sister, who lives in England and applied for British citizenship using the same argument as me, received her approval last week just two months after she applied. It looks like UKM applications are being processed quicker at the moment.

sepata
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by sepata » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:20 am

Paul_S wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:22 am
Hello

I am in the process of finishing my details for form UKM and hope to have it submitted sometime next week. I do have a couple questions regarding it that I hope the wisdom of the posters on this thread may enlighten me.
1. You mother's birth certificate is sufficient to show her British citizenship (assuming she was born in the UK). I only sent birth certificates. US passport and naturalization papers make no difference.
2. There doesn't appear to be an option to pay extra for express service, so I suspect not, but you can always try.
3. The UKM form asks where you want to attend your citizenship ceremony, and you can nominate somewhere in the UK. Other posters in these forums have flown to the UK to attend ceremonies.

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:35 pm

I did my mother's birth cert, my US passport and birth certificate (originals). Used regular US first class mail. Did the ceremony at a US consulate.

JamieandLaine
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by JamieandLaine » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:42 am

sepata wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:32 am
JamieandLaine wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:49 am

Hello,
Approval letter came from UKVI in Liverpool via DHL. All correspondence comes from UKVI. VFS Global is just an agency.

Btw, my sister, who lives in England and applied for British citizenship using the same argument as me, received her approval last week just two months after she applied. It looks like UKM applications are being processed quicker at the moment.
Awesome I’ll keep a look out for dhl. It’s been 5 weeks 1 day since I did the biometrics so hopefully any day soon. Congratulations for your sister, that is quick, I hope mine doesn’t take the full 6 months.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 pm

Thank you everyone for your posts! I have a question. I am working on submitting my application, but I am having difficulty determining if I need my biological father's birth certificate. I am applying by way of my mother's father. I don't believe I need it, and the UKM guidance doesn't specifically state that I need to send it, but I wan't to be thorough. Also, I would like to apologize for the misleading flag. I am in the US and am a US citizen. I misunderstood what the purpose in selecting a flag was.

Thank you!!

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:33 am

"applying by way of my mother's father" - what does that mean?

Your mother is British other than by descent, your father isn't relevant. If you can find it the marriage cert it might be useful connecting the maiden name to the father's name/your name.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:53 pm

a_powers wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:33 am

Your mother is British other than by descent, your father isn't relevant. If you can find it the marriage cert it might be useful connecting the maiden name to the father's name/your name.
Sorry. My mother's father is was born in the UK. My mother was born in the US. I meant by way of his citizenship.

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:00 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:53 pm
a_powers wrote:

Sorry. My mother's father is was born in the UK. My mother was born in the US. I meant by way of his citizenship.
That would make your mother British by descent which means you are out of luck. It only passes down one generation. If your mother was born in Britain and was British other than by descent then you could apply.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 pm

a_powers wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:00 pm
luthersnowak wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:53 pm
a_powers wrote:

That would make your mother British by descent which means you are out of luck. It only passes down one generation. If your mother was born in Britain and was British other than by descent then you could apply.
I'm pretty sure that is not entirely accurate. For children born to British mothers by descent, outside of the UK, they could acquire citizenship if the birth was registered within 1 year. The Supreme Court ruled in February, basically, the standard for registering a birth within one year was not applicable to children born to British mothers by descent between 1949 and 1983. I don't know the intricacies of the ruling, but basically, the idea was that although the Nationality Act of 1981 changed the way women could pass on citizenship to their children, Those children born between 1949 and 1983, would not have been registered, as the laws in effect at that time did not allow women who were British by descent to pass that on to their children.

The UKM guidance for the home office was changed to reflect this.

"Persons born between 1 January 1949 – 1 January 1983
Where you are considering whether a person who was born outside the UK between 1 January 1949 – 31 December 1982 (inclusive) to a British mother you must disregard the requirement that their birth must have been registered with a UK consulate in the 12 month period after their birth."

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:33 pm

I believe this is the case you are referring to:
https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/ ... ummary.pdf

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:16 pm

a_powers wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:33 pm
Yes. That is the one.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:27 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:16 pm
a_powers wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:33 pm
Yes. That is the one.
I apologize if that came off as crass. My intent was to point out that children of “citizens by descent” can become citizens if they are registered in the first year of birth, whereas children of “citizens other than by descent” are automatically entitled to citizenship, without the requirement for registration.