ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to India

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Rajeev123

Travelling to India

Post by Rajeev123 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi- Seeking your support.

I have attended the naturalization ceremony and waiting for the British passport now. I have also sent my BRP back.

I need to travel to India in 1st week of July and I guess it is very little time for getting the OCI done. Now- I understand that I can I travel to India on Indian passport but on return immigration in India- I would not have the BRP to give and I am not sure if I should show my British passport at that point.

Any comments ?

Thanks a ton.

englishrose198
India

Re: Travelling to India

Post by englishrose198 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:08 pm

You need British passport before you travel anywhere out of the UK, no other possibility.
Showing citizenship certificate cannot guarantee you an entry clearance and there are no discretion applied for your situation

englishrose198
India

Post by englishrose198 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:10 pm

Btw I got min in 6 days so am believing you will get yours too before this month ends at least .

Rajeev123

Post by Rajeev123 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi- I will have the British passport by then- My question is on the return immigration when the indian immigration look at my indian passport, they will ask for UK visa- Will it be ok at that point to show them my british passport?

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:25 pm

I think you are confusing yourself with surrender of indian passport and OCI.

DO NOT travel on Indian passport after getting your British Passport, as not only would you encounter a penalty when you surrender your passport, but your indian passport as well might be seized at the airport on the way back.

Please refer to point 4 under clarifications on

http://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/Surrender.html under main provisions of surrender of passport

I.e. There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel. It is further clarified that as far as UK is concerned, the three months grace period is mainly given to physically take possession of the Foreign Passport. Once Foreign Passport has been obtained, the grace period is no longer applicable. Any travel on Indian Passport after obtaining Foreign Passport is liable for penalty and Indian passport will be seized by Immigration authorities

Also, as per gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements

From 1 April 2017, the length of stay on an e-visa has been increased from 30 days to 60 days with double entry on tourist and business e-visa and triple entry on medical e-visa. The 60 days start on the date of your first entry into India on your e-visa. When you arrive at the airport, your passport will be stamped and an expiry date for your e-visa will be handwritten by an Immigration Officer. Please be aware that 60 days is not automatically equal to 2 calendar months. Check the date that is written on your passport and make sure you leave the country before your visa expires.

Best option is to surrender Indian passport here in UK (max 7-10 days, and very easy application), travel on e-visa and apply for OCI there. (30-60 days is very good time considering recent timelines from members)
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

srivisaN

Post by srivisaN » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 pm

dontringthebell wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:25 pm
I think you are confusing yourself with surrender of indian passport and OCI.

DO NOT travel on Indian passport after getting your British Passport, as not only would you encounter a penalty when you surrender your passport, but your indian passport as well might be seized at the airport on the way back.

Please refer to point 4 under clarifications on

http://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/Surrender.html under main provisions of surrender of passport

I.e. There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel. It is further clarified that as far as UK is concerned, the three months grace period is mainly given to physically take possession of the Foreign Passport. Once Foreign Passport has been obtained, the grace period is no longer applicable. Any travel on Indian Passport after obtaining Foreign Passport is liable for penalty and Indian passport will be seized by Immigration authorities

Also, as per gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements

From 1 April 2017, the length of stay on an e-visa has been increased from 30 days to 60 days with double entry on tourist and business e-visa and triple entry on medical e-visa. The 60 days start on the date of your first entry into India on your e-visa. When you arrive at the airport, your passport will be stamped and an expiry date for your e-visa will be handwritten by an Immigration Officer. Please be aware that 60 days is not automatically equal to 2 calendar months. Check the date that is written on your passport and make sure you leave the country before your visa expires.

Best option is to surrender Indian passport here in UK (max 7-10 days, and very easy application), travel on e-visa and apply for OCI there. (30-60 days is very good time considering recent timelines from members)
Can anyone apply for OCI in India, being on e-Visa (Visitor Visa). Is there anyone who has done that in the past ?

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:01 pm

srivisaN wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 pm
Can anyone apply for OCI in India, being on e-Visa (Visitor Visa). Is there anyone who has done that in the past ?
Yes my friends have, i will be in a few months time and would post my experience.

You may also check here:

http://www.mea.gov.in/oci-related-matters.htm
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:35 pm

How many days you intend to visit India? If it is 30 days or so, surrender Indian passport, get e-visa and go there. After returning, apply for OCI in UK. If your stay is 3 months or more, then you can take long term visa and apply for OCI in india. If you can wait, get OCI work first and then go to India otherwise do it after coming back.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:04 pm

takdeerwala wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:35 pm
How many days you intend to visit India? If it is 30 days or so, surrender Indian passport, get e-visa and go there. After returning, apply for OCI in UK. If your stay is 3 months or more, then you can take long term visa and apply for OCI in india. If you can wait, get OCI work first and then go to India otherwise do it after coming back.
Considering how fast it's while applying from UK, don't you think it would be less than 30 days once in India.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:53 pm

dontringthebell wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:04 pm
takdeerwala wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:35 pm
Considering how fast it's while applying from UK, don't you think it would be less than 30 days once in India.
I think it takes a long time applying within India. Plus so much uncertainty to come back, visa for India.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:57 pm

My friend got it in 20 days flat, he applied the second day he reached India, also he had access to FRRO too.

srivisaN

Post by srivisaN » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:56 am

dontringthebell wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:57 pm
My friend got it in 20 days flat, he applied the second day he reached India, also he had access to FRRO too.
Glad to here that it is easy to apply in India.

also he had access to FRRO too. --> what do you mean access to FRRO, is it get any letter from FRRO incase if the OCI get delayed

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:01 pm

I meant he was in a city which had an FRRO office and he could directly speak to them. Can't say much more.

Rajeev123

Post by Rajeev123 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi I need to go on a business trio for a week. Now, can I apply for evisa without surrendering my Indian passport? I am worried that my surrender certificate may not come back in time for my travel.

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:30 am

Yes, you can apply for eVisa without surrendering your Indian passport. It is just that VFS will not issue you a normal visa, including OCI, without surrender certificate. The eVisa is not processed by VFS but my MOEA in India. I'd advise you still submit your Indian passport for cancellation and carry receipt as proof if asked (unlikely).
Regards,
crowbar6

Rajeev123

Post by Rajeev123 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 am

Thank you. That helps.

AshokCoir
Newly Registered

Post by AshokCoir » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:38 am

Hi Guys,

I'm in the same situation, just got my British Passport delivered today and I've got my flight booked back to India on 26th. I don't think I've got time to surrender my Indian Passport and get my VISA done by 26th. Also, I need to be India for about 6-8 months before I return. I understand that I will get through easily when I arrive in India and on exit (prob. in Jan 2019) there is a good chance that they will seize my passport.

I'm just prepping for the worst, what if on exit they seize my passport? Will this affect me in any way when I go for VISA/OCI? Can they deny me from boarding the flight?

It would really help if you could clarify these.

Thanks,
Ashok

AshokCoir
Newly Registered

Post by AshokCoir » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:56 am

Googled further, seems Passports can be surrendered in India itself. Since I'm going to be India for about 6-8 months, I think I can surrender the passport in India itself and go for OCI. Could you please advise if my understanding is wrong? Thanks.

https://portal1.passportindia.gov.in/Ap ... ertificate

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:07 am

That's correct, you can surrender passports and then obtain OCI in India as well.
Regards,
crowbar6

AshokCoir
Newly Registered

Post by AshokCoir » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:53 am

Thanks a lot.

Just to lower the risk, I'm thinking of going for e-Visa which usually comes with 30-60 days validity and use British passport to travel. I then surrender my passport and apply for OCI in India itself.

The question I have got around this is, what if I don't get the OCI done by the time my visa expires? Will I be violating rules?

Just to get some comfort, people who have done the same could share their experience please. Thanks in advance.

AshokCoir
Newly Registered

Post by AshokCoir » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:12 pm

AshokCoir wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:53 am
Thanks a lot.

Just to lower the risk, I'm thinking of going for e-Visa which usually comes with 30-60 days validity and use British passport to travel. I then surrender my passport and apply for OCI in India itself.

The question I have got around this is, what if I don't get the OCI done by the time my visa expires? Will I be violating rules?

Just to get some comfort, people who have done the same could share their experience please. Thanks in advance.
Am I over complicating it?

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:29 am

If you start from Day 1, you got 60 days of e-visa validity to complete OCI and Surrender.

Rajeev123

Post by Rajeev123 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Just so you know- I went for the e visa. Couldn't take the stress of any mishaps with OCI later.