ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Few questions about Irish Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lolo82
Canada

Few questions about Irish Citizenship

Post by lolo82 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:28 pm

I have noticed that when someone applies for Citizenship from Northern Ireland, its been advised to apply for DAT1 from the PSNI when applying instead of waiting to be asked for it.

Can this be applied for a few weeks/months before applying or is it best to apply a week or 2 before sending my Citizenship application?

Also, my current bank only drafts Bankers drafts in Sterling (HSBC sucks). am able to get a Euro draft from An Post in Dundalk? Or am i best to open a new bank account with Ulster Bank who can draft both Stering and Euro?

thanks in advance for your assistance.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Re: Few questions about Irish Citizenship

Post by PasadenaTom » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:10 pm

I think most (if not all) of the discussions in the "Ireland" section of this board relate to the Republic of Ireland. If you are applying for citizenship in Northern Ireland, you are essentially applying for citizenship in the United Kingdom.

There may be people here who can help you. But you may find more people with knowledge of this in the UK-oriented discussion areas.

lolo82
Canada

Post by lolo82 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Apologies. I am applying for Irish Citizenship based on marriage to an Irish Citizen. We reside in Northern Ireland, therefore I can gain Irish citizenship based on 3 years marriage.

billybob19700

Post by billybob19700 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:52 pm

lolo82 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:28 pm
I have noticed that when someone applies for Citizenship from Northern Ireland, its been advised to apply for DAT1 from the PSNI when applying instead of waiting to be asked for it.

Can this be applied for a few weeks/months before applying or is it best to apply a week or 2 before sending my Citizenship application?

Also, my current bank only drafts Bankers drafts in Sterling (HSBC sucks). am able to get a Euro draft from An Post in Dundalk? Or am i best to open a new bank account with Ulster Bank who can draft both Stering and Euro?

I also reside in Northern ireland applied and got my citizenship recently, yes you have to apply for criminal record, it took me a month to receive it, you can open a bank account with Danske they do euro drafts, if you can open it now as it might take longer for new customer. Hope this helps

lolo82
Canada

Post by lolo82 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:37 pm

billybob19700 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:52 pm
lolo82 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:28 pm

I also reside in Northern ireland applied and got my citizenship recently, yes you have to apply for criminal record, it took me a month to receive it, you can open a bank account with Danske they do euro drafts, if you can open it now as it might take longer for new customer. Hope this helps
thank you Billybob19700! I have signed up for a Danske account tonight. will see how the application goes.

will apply for my DAT1 in September as I'm hoping to apply once I'm back from holiday in mid-October.

billybob19700

Post by billybob19700 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:52 am

All the best.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:31 pm

The DAT1 took about 3 weeks or so for us too. Don't delay.

Ulster Bank does Euro drafts but there is a charge of £25 I think. You can open an account in your nearest branch. I'm not sure if Danske has a charge.

My partner is just waiting on his passport now. He was at the ceremony in Killarney on 21st May.

Good luck

lolo82
Canada

I've lost the letter about my lost passport

Post by lolo82 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:11 pm

Thankfully Im sorting my Irish citizenship documents months before applying

I filled in a dummy application. It asked for the passport i arrived into Ireland on. I arrived Oct 2007 and damaged my passport may 2009. I have a replacement, and 2 renewals since. The damaged passport was not returned but a letter was sent back with the new passport acknowledging the damaged passport.

Between may 2009 and now I seem to have mislaid the letter. I have emailed my passport office to see if they can help and the irish citizenship email address asking what may happen if it cannot be resolved.

In the meantime- has anyone applied without providing an old passport? I'm very concerned it will be rejected because I cannot provide evidence of the passport or the letter.

Many thanks for any assistance

IggyB
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: I've lost the letter about my lost passport

Post by IggyB » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:44 pm

I lost also my old passport but got letter from the German Ministry of Interior (Passport issuing authority in Germany) with list of all my passports ( note was on the letter, this letter is issued regarding application for the Irish Citizenship)
Maybe this could be an option for you as I dont know which citizenship you currently have.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:40 am

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lolo82
Canada

Post by lolo82 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks for the heads up CR001! Didn't realise it should stay in the one thread :)