ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to the UK. Managers with a family. My experience!

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:53 pm

WorkPermitIssues wrote: 10. You wont need to shell out a bomb to buy a car.
Or a car with a bomb.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

WorkPermitIssues

Post by WorkPermitIssues » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:00 pm

Wanderer wrote:
WorkPermitIssues wrote: 10. You wont need to shell out a bomb to buy a car.
Or a car with a bomb.....
Thou art correct my lord..!!! :)

netacct

Post by netacct » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:18 pm

In my view, come to UK if,

1. You got descent saving to survive initially without a job
2. Got patience & don't get frustrated very easily
3. Realistic & Practical re salary expectations & savings
4. Prepared for compromise initially re job location, salary etc
5. Confident about your Technical + Personal skills
6. Prepared to look for a job from 2 - 6 months
7. Stay away from family until you find a job
8. Helpful if you got friends/relatives here to help you initially
9. PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. Planing to fail is failing to plan

Otherwise simply don't come...Life easy :lol:

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:56 pm

One think which I cant understand is what exactly people think when they dream of working in UK?
Do people think that they can save around £3K or more per month?
Here most of the local British IT guys would be happy to save even £1k per month.

I think, some humans just lack the attitude and wants to make quick money and greedy people are never every happy with whatever they make and wherever they work.
Netacct: I knew what i was going for when i came to UK..So i am not being greedy,but was giving my opinion..You are free to give your opininon too,but dont judge others...
I will stick to my view and you can stick to yours
Ashish

aj_sp_007
Member of Standing

Post by aj_sp_007 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:24 am

Hello AshishaShah - Few points to consider when working in uk.

1. With family you cannot save much in UK. So your goals should be set straight from a monetory perspective and the compromises associated with it. Moreover, you need to enhance your skills to the areas that are paid more in order to earn more.

2. You have a better living life in UK if you know your rights well and do not take things for granted (good or bad).

3. You need peace of mind and want to spend some time with your family. I assume and am sure.. you would barely get time with your kid and family with a sal of 12 laks PA. The company would have squeezed you dry if i am not wrong.

4. If you are fond of vacations, UK is better place to work and enjoy the near around Swiss and European nations.

5. if you are looking for active gender/night life then India is not bad too.

My two scents

Regards
-----------
Updates - 24/03/2008

6. You wont find people breaking signals on cross roads or cars standing right on the zebra crossings in the UK.

7. You cannot be cheated on the product after buying from a retail store. It comes with a 14 day buy back gaurantee to return back (without banging your head at the customer support toll free numbers OR sales people at the store). Very unlike india

8. You dont need to pay hefty charges in the form of donations to get your kid an entry to any school in UK.

9. You cannot be arrested because your brother mother father cousin committed a crime . You may be questioned but it is unlike indian way

10. You wont need to shell out a bomb to buy a car
________
Hotels In Mexico
Last edited by aj_sp_007 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

HSMPgafla

Post by HSMPgafla » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:23 am

Well,
all reading all different opinion and experiences of you guys, i think it is my time to tell u something.
In Uk different people experience different things at different levels (same in other countries) thats why they have different opinions about this country.
I think If you have good enough money to enjoy your life, then no need to go in anyother country (No UK, No USA, No AUS...etc..)esp when u have to stay away form your family.
scond thing is, if have can not save good money in foreign then no need to come and work for foreign people.
My funda is go any country you like..stay there 5 to 6 years....save good money and invest money in india while you are working...come back india when you finish your time in foreign counry and...enjoy your whealth in india..

Expecting +ve / -ve comments.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:12 am

HSMPgafla,
I agree fully...That was my point as well.

HSMPgafla

Post by HSMPgafla » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:36 am

ashishashah
cheers mate..

mubbu

Post by mubbu » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:27 pm

Hello netacct & ashishah

I totally agree with your points and thoughts. Because if you have money saved and invested in india then it would be more luxurious to live in back home rather than to live in west where everything is DIY.

Regards
Mubbu

reliable-mate

Post by reliable-mate » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:11 am

Well said. You beat me to it. I was about to write precisely along the same lines.

Having worked in India for a few years myself, I took a career break to do an MBA from a very respectable business school in Europe and moved to UK in latter 2004. It was indeed very challenging to get first position of choice, but I was lucky as I was not only single but also very young (low opportunity costs) and started off at a junior position in a very big and respected multinational company. A couple of years later in 2006 I finally got a great opportunity with another big multinational in an area of my choice and the level I wanted (again very lucky).

Now even when I hear my friends back home making zillions, I am the last person to think about moving back for money as UK and european experience has enriched me personally.

So, I think different things are important for different people at different phases of their lives and hence, there is no universal right or wrong. To each one his own.
netacct wrote:One think which I cant understand is what exactly people think when they dream of working in UK?
Do people think that they can save around £3K or more per month?
Here most of the local British IT guys would be happy to save even £1k per month.

I think, some humans just lack the attitude and wants to make quick money and greedy people are never every happy with whatever they make and wherever they work.

I have been working in UK since almost 5 years but still save around £700 but happy with overall things?

It needs patience and most important skills to make £6K + in UK if you work as contractors. There is no shortcut. Some take longer, some achieve it very quickly.

Do we need to mention about the overall quality of life in India and India IT companies? How humans work there? What matters etc....

I had be happy to save £500 a month and work in UK rather than save £5K a month and not enjoy my daily life.

The only reason I would consider to go back will my family and nothing else.

But again, different things work differently for different people. What works for Mr X may not work for Mr Y and vice versa.

"ashishashah" good for you, your family, UK and India if you move back to India.

At least someone else needy from other part of the world will take your job and will be happy with £1200K saving per month.

From the bottom of my heart, I wish you all the best.

reliable-mate

Post by reliable-mate » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:13 am

well written. I cannot agree any more.
WorkPermitIssues wrote:Hello AshishaShah - Few points to consider when working in uk.

1. With family you cannot save much in UK. So your goals should be set straight from a monetory perspective and the compromises associated with it. Moreover, you need to enhance your skills to the areas that are paid more in order to earn more.

2. You have a better living life in UK if you know your rights well and do not take things for granted (good or bad). :)

3. You need peace of mind and want to spend some time with your family. I assume and am sure.. you would barely get time with your kid and family with a sal of 12 laks PA. The company would have squeezed you dry if i am not wrong.

4. If you are fond of vacations, UK is better place to work and enjoy the near around Swiss and European nations.

5. if you are looking for active gender/night life then India is not bad too. ;)

My two scents :)

Regards
-----------
Updates - 24/03/2008

6. You wont find people breaking signals on cross roads or cars standing right on the zebra crossings in the UK.

7. You cannot be cheated on the product after buying from a retail store. It comes with a 14 day buy back gaurantee to return back (without banging your head at the customer support toll free numbers OR sales people at the store). Very unlike india

8. You dont need to pay hefty charges in the form of donations to get your kid an entry to any school in UK.

9. You cannot be arrested because your brother mother father cousin committed a crime ;) . You may be questioned but it is unlike indian way

10. You wont need to shell out a bomb to buy a car.

jpfranco
Newly Registered

Post by jpfranco » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:28 am

reliable-mate wrote: It was indeed very challenging to get first position of choice, but I was lucky as I was not only single but also very young (low opportunity costs) and started off at a junior position in a very big and respected multinational company. A couple of years later in 2006 I finally got a great opportunity with another big multinational in an area of my choice and the level I wanted (again very lucky).
[/quote]

Hi reliable-mate,

You go back exactly to my initial point. If you are not young and single when you decide to move to the UK, it will be much more difficult and you will be risking your family stability.

It is very difficult to start over when you have a family to support.

Regards.

Juan

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:17 pm

I agree with you Juan. Bringing family to UK to start a brand new life is not a wise decision. If both parents are working, one of their pay will go almost entirely to the full-days nursery expenses.
When pound sterling value is dropping gradually nowadays, I believe UK is slowly losing its attractiveness to the high skills workers.

blrtmp
Newly Registered

How long to wait...

Post by blrtmp » Thu May 01, 2008 12:21 pm

Hi...
I came during April...and its already a month and still in job search...loosing out hope and patience...my opinion...hsmp is not good if you are applying from outside. I worked for one of the reputed multinational in software testing. Thinking my exp and skills I should able to get job within 2 weeks. Even though there were good number of mathcing profiles...i dont know why I am not being considered. Dont know how long to wait...thought of 1-2 months beyond that is really a nightmare.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Thu May 01, 2008 12:31 pm

Well...Things look very rosy from a distance...But reality strikes you when you land in UK...
I am not saying that dont come to UK...But before coming,make sure that you have a sound financial back up for 2-3 months to survive....Agents will call you,but wont forward your CV once they come to know that you dont have any experience working in UK(Dont ask me why that look for UK exp)...Even if you get a job,chances are that you might have to start from a much lower level compared to your current position/profile and then make your way up.....

yewhongwei79

Re: How long to wait...

Post by yewhongwei79 » Thu May 01, 2008 3:00 pm

blrtmp wrote:Hi...
I came during April...and its already a month and still in job search...loosing out hope and patience...my opinion...hsmp is not good if you are applying from outside. I worked for one of the reputed multinational in software testing. Thinking my exp and skills I should able to get job within 2 weeks. Even though there were good number of mathcing profiles...i dont know why I am not being considered. Dont know how long to wait...thought of 1-2 months beyond that is really a nightmare.
Give yourself up to 3 months .. 1 month is too optimistic, it seldom happen in real life. What is your profession?

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Thu May 01, 2008 9:48 pm

Yeah i agree with that. I came to UK given my vast experience in job search in india and good exposure to different technologies.But i am also struggling here. this is my fourth week and i am also feeling the heat. But yeah i am getting calls and am able to schedule interviews also. Here many jobs suits my skill but most of them require security clearance and some require us to be in UK from last 5 years. I wonder what verification they have done for HSMP? They do verify our HSMP and we shud be given equal opportunity with british people. Yeah and it hurts when we do not clear interview as we are not working.