ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR after separation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

adkenneth02
Newly Registered
South Africa

ILR after separation

Post by adkenneth02 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:57 am

I hope someone can help. I am South African born. My husband and I arrived in the UK 6 years ago with our two children on his British Passport. I obtained ILR in 2015, have done the Life in the UK test and English Test. Husband and I have now separated after 17 years. Have nothing to do with each other and live separately. I am full time employed. I need to apply for BC and on the BC forms it only gives options to tick for 'Legal Separation'..... We are not divorced....

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Re: ILR after separation

Post by cyclina1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Your marriage status would not affect your naturalization. As you obtained your ILR more than 12 months and in the UK for more than 5 years. You can apply through 5 years route. And also you are still married until you divorced.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

adkenneth02
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by adkenneth02 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Thank you. This is what I thought, however, I'm unsure which box to tick on the BC as we are actually physically separated, living at different addresses and on the BC form you have to tick Married, Divorced or legally separated, no option for Separated. If I tick married (which I am still legally) our addresses are different and they will require all info from my 'Partner'. So this is why I have no idea what to do....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 pm

adkenneth02 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:42 pm
Thank you. This is what I thought, however, I'm unsure which box to tick on the BC as we are actually physically separated, living at different addresses and on the BC form you have to tick Married, Divorced or legally separated, no option for Separated. If I tick married (which I am still legally) our addresses are different and they will require all info from my 'Partner'. So this is why I have no idea what to do....
You ticked that you are 'married'. You can add info on the 'Additional Info' page.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.