ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New citizenship form UKF

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

KasMac
South Africa

Re: New citizenship form UKF

Post by KasMac » Wed May 02, 2018 10:51 am

KasMac wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:45 am
Has anybody on this thread have any contact details to any caseworkers who were working on their applications? i am not entirely sure i am allowed to ask for their contact details.

I am concerned about my sons application and just need them to confirm its being considered.

We have used my partner's UK address for correspondence but he hasn't been there for more than 4 weeks , he lives between UK and South Africa so worried we will miss actual letter asking for biometrics enrolment. i believe the letter states that applicant has 4 weeks to enrol the biometrics data, what happens if one missed the deadline? is the application then rejected?

Is there any way to request another copy to be sent via email?

thank you for advise
i have sent email to NationalityBiometricsOverseas@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk and
NationalityBiometrics@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk but have not had any response whatsoever

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Wed May 02, 2018 2:30 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:49 am
KasMac wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:45 am
Has anybody on this thread have any contact details to any caseworkers who were working on their applications? i am not entirely sure i am allowed to ask for their contact details.
Not permitted to post names and contact details of HO staff on the forum.
thanks , i thought that might be the case , just feeling frustrated but patience is a virtue I guess :)

Zahume
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Zahume » Tue May 08, 2018 10:28 am

Zahume wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:32 pm
Hello everyone
I came to the UK from the USA as a tourist. I was granted 6 months stay at entry. I arrived on the 5th of March 2018 and was able to get all my supported documents and UKF application posted by March 8th. I sent my original passport and birth certificate along with my fathers birth certificate. Here is my time line:

Sent Royal Mail March 8th

Signed for March 9th

Fee deducted from account March 23rd

confirmation E-mail March 26th

Confirmation and Biometrics letter dated 23 March received March 29th

Biometrics completed March 29th

Second Biometrics letter with name correction dated April 3rd received April 12 2018

Biometrics completed April 13th 2018

Received letter of successful application dated April 25th and return of original passport and birth certificate on April 27th 2018 :D :D

Awaiting ceremony invitation will keep you posted.
So here’s an update on the ceremony process:

Received ceremony invitation dated April 26th 2018 and called to set up ceremony!Waiting on return call on May 4th 2018

On May 8th 2018 Received call back from the councils office and set ceremony appointment for May 24th 2018.

Bummiey
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Bummiey » Fri May 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Hello everyone, I applied for citizenship via form UKF from Nigeria. Thanks to all for sharing their timelines, here is mine so far:

06/02/18 Application sent from Nigeria via DHL
09/02/18 Application received and signed for at Liverpool
21/02/18 Ceremony fee of £80 taken
22/02/18 Application acknowledged email
22/02/18 Biometric Enrolment Letter sent, dated same day
26/02/18 Appointment booked
06/03/18 Biometric Enrolment appointment confirmation sent via email
08/03/18 Biometrics taken
04/05/18 Email sent acknowledging receipt of Naturalization certificate in Nigeria
07/05/18 Call from Vice Consul concerning citizenship ceremony, I requested change of location for the ceremony (from Abuja to Lagos)

Still awaiting ceremony date and time.

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Wed May 23, 2018 11:58 am

hello Bummiey
Congrats on the success of your application. please, how was your documents returned to you, if i may ask?

thanks

Bummiey
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Bummiey » Thu May 24, 2018 12:11 am

keji wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:58 am
hello Bummiey
Congrats on the success of your application. please, how was your documents returned to you, if i may ask?

thanks
Hi Keji,

Thank you so much :D

I'm yet to get my documents back, hoping I'll get them before the ceremony. I didn't send a prepaid royal mail envelope with my application at the time, didn't know where to get it from in Nigeria.

How did you get your documents back?

sim43
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by sim43 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:37 am

sim43 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:39 am
Hi folks,

Thought I would join in with my timeline and a few odd particulars with my application.

I had intended to send it off back in 2016 but thanks to life getting in the way I only managed to send it off a couple weeks ago; as such, my references, photographs etc. are dated to 2016, but I didn't date or sign the final page until I sent it. I'm hoping that doesn't cause an issue, but the more I think about it the more worried I become.

As well, although Dad's identity and nationality is listed on my original full form birth certificate which I sent in accompaniment-- in order to support my case for my relationship I also included two signed court orders in a lawsuit between Mum & Dad (remember I mentioned life getting in the way? Yeah.. :? ) These both mention my birth (my father's service getting my birth date incorrect, my mother's correcting it...) I sent these instead of his expired passport or birth certificate. I'm hoping those are strong enough, but I'm now pondering that perhaps they weaken my application.

Either way, my timeline is as follows:

2018-04-19 -> Application sent via Canada Post
2018-04-23 -> Ceremony fee charged to my credit card
-> Later that afternoon I receive an e-mail with a Case ID and a message that my application has been received and is being considered.

It's curious, the next step seems to be an enrollment of my biometrics but the nearest UK Visa Application Centre in a six hour drive away. It will be interesting to see how my application proceeds.

For those of you wishing to know how to get their documents back, I just emailed the UKVI here: https://contact-ukvi.homeoffice.gov.uk/ ... ge/English with my inquiry they should respond in two business days. I'll let you know how it goes.

Update on my timeline, I received my invitation to enroll my biometrics on the 20th through email. I booked an appointment for the 23rd through VFSGlobal and... this really isn't negotiable it seems. Although us international applicants seem to be in a better position now than a few years earlier when applicants in here were left stranded this situation isn't really ideal, particularly for those of us in more rural areas. For me, this was a 12 hour trip, but worth it if it means I can start a new life.

The office itself was quite the enigma. I was greeted by a front desk and pointed towards security guards, who after some confusion and unfamiliarity ushered me into a comfortable waiting room. They were very unfamiliar with my situation, far more used to seeing visa applications, which made sense, I can't blame them.

My appointment was scheduled for noon-12:30, however I wasn't seen until nearer to quarter to 1. From that point I was taken slightly deeper into the building into a room which more closely resembled a closet. Two women were working very vigorously, one processing and arranging applications and the other taking biometrics of applicants. I felt rather bad for them, it was sweltering and this office space was smaller than a standard North American bedroom. There were two people ahead of me that were being processed for what I think were either permanent residencies or visas; I wasn't trying to be nosy, but privacy wasn't exactly an option in this space.

It was here where I ran into issues. The second operator asked for my username and password for VFS, which... I thought was strange, but I complied. She needed to print my proof of purchase. For some reason she couldn't login, and we had to come up with a solution. There was a spare computer which applicants were using for printing off shipping labels, I logged in there and printed my receipt. Crisis averted.

From there, there was an interminable wait while I watched her process my application, she was incredibly thorough making sure each number, character, each fold and crease in the paper was correct. I was rather nervous when it seemed she had some sort of issue and kept checking over either my barcode or enrollment number, but eventually I was asked for my photo and fingerprints. I was finished shortly after; around 14:00.

It was here where I suspect I lost my drivers license. The enrollment letter states that you have to provide a piece of ID and given some prior testimonies given here I took my ID out my wallet and took nothing other than my application and said ID in with me (this was dreadfully boring given the wait). Despite the operators thoroughness she never asked for it, and I suspect I foolishly left it on a table. :x :cry:

Either way, I've arrived home, and have just emailed the UKVI asking whether they have received my biometrics, and if they may return my documents.

Current timeline:

2018-04-19 -> Application sent via Canada Post
2018-04-23 -> Ceremony fee charged to my credit card
-> Later that afternoon I receive an e-mail with a Case ID and a message that my application has been received and is being considered.
2018-05-20 -> Invitation to enroll biometrics + Appointment booked with "local" VFSGlobal office
2018-05-23 -> Biometrics enrolled with VFSGlobal
2018-05-27 -> Requested document return from UKVI

Let's see how it goes. Personally, I'm very hopeful it seems like this is the point of acceptance but... we'll see.

annalynedano
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by annalynedano » Mon May 28, 2018 1:52 am

I am having this dilemma for a while now. I applied for UKF last November 2017 with a return prepaid shipping label(FedEx). I then received a call last March 26, 2018 from the British Embassy about my oath-taking. I never received an email or my documents that it got approved. I sent an email to further enquiries and my application got approved last Feb 2018. They mentioned they shipped my documents last Feb 9, 2018, but only to find out that they didn't because they sent an email last May 2, 2018, that i need to schedule a pick up from FedEx to get my documents which i did.

I schedule a pick up last May 16, 2018. However, when Fedex went there, they said no pick up when i informed them days before the actual pick up. They said to let them know at least a day before the actual pick up. I scheduled a pickup again last May 22, 2018, and the same thing happened. They were able to talk to a guy named M Hughes and this guy said there is no pickup. I sent an email last May 17, 2018, on what to do and until now, there is no reply from either the Further enquire or the c2t casework. I am lost and i do not know how to get my passport and documents. Any bits of advice will really help.

sim43
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by sim43 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:20 am

Update update:

Don't do what I did. I emailed the UKVI, and was told they "don't deal with Passport or Citizenship applications." which... unless I'm mistaken, seeing as they have been my main point of contact in this is painfully hilarious. Hahaha, 13$ wasted.

I was told to e-mail: nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk I'll do that later this evening if I can be arsed :S

annalynedano
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by annalynedano » Mon May 28, 2018 3:14 am

sim43 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:20 am
Update update:

Don't do what I did. I emailed the UKVI, and was told they "don't deal with Passport or Citizenship applications." which... unless I'm mistaken, seeing as they have been my main point of contact in this is painfully hilarious. Hahaha, 13$ wasted.

I was told to e-mail: nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk I'll do that later this evening if I can be arsed :S
I tried to call them and same thing happened. wasted 420 php / 6-7 mins. They provided another number but no answer. just keeps ringing.

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Mon May 28, 2018 6:28 pm

Bummiey wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:11 am
keji wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:58 am
hello Bummiey

thanks
Hi Keji,

Thank you so much :D

I'm yet to get my documents back, hoping I'll get them before the ceremony. I didn't send a prepaid royal mail envelope with my application at the time, didn't know where to get it from in Nigeria.

How did you get your documents back?

Hi Bummiey
I did mine about 2 years ago and it was through Nipost, i must say it took forever for it to arrive. was wondering if things has changed and better now cos i have someone on processing now.

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Tue May 29, 2018 11:19 am

KasMac wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Wow thats so quick, Congrats!

Let me post timeline for my son's UKF application

07 March Application sent to Liverpool /UK from Durban/South Africa
13 March Application Delivered
27 March Email from UKVI with application acknowledgement

Now we waiting for Biometrics letter , he is a minor so no fee or ceremony necessary ( luckily)

will update as we have more developments
EDIT
07 March Application sent to Liverpool /UK from Durban/South Africa
13 March Application Delivered
27 March Email from UKVI with application acknowledgement

26 March Biometric letter was sent out from UKVI but not received due to Dad not being in the UK
15 May Email sent to UKVI requesting an update and asked for a copy of Biometrics Letter to be
forwarded to my email address
18 May Response received via email and new biometrics letter attached
28 May Biometrics submitted at TLS offices in Durban/ South Africa

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Tue May 29, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have learnt alot form this forum and i have in turn been able to advice people and their applications has being successful. i am here for advice for something unfamiliar to me this time around.
I have a friend whom i helped in filling the UKF form as i did mine. The decision came in last week in which she was advice to apply directly for a British passport has shes already a citizen by descent and her ceremony fee will be returned shortly. she mailed the case worker back stating that she does not meet the requirement as her parents were not legally married and they do not have marriage certificate.
The caseworker insisted that is the route for her and the onus is on her to provide the requirement to the UKPO, as her birth certificate clearly state both parents with same surname.
Unfortunately, in her country, co-habitation, common law marriage is well practised and people bear their partners surnames without any legal requirement, hence no marriage certificate to support marriage.

I did not experience this during my own application and neither have i read about anyone in that category here on the forum so i am truly confused and do not know how to advice her, does anyone knows how this can be resolve?
I urgently need your advice,
thank you

sim43
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by sim43 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 am

annalynedano wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:14 am
sim43 wrote:
Update update:

I tried to call them and same thing happened. wasted 420 php / 6-7 mins. They provided another number but no answer. just keeps ringing.
Hey there, annalynedano

I'm not sure I understand your situation:

The UKVI approved your application and released your documents, (congratulations) but they said that FedEx had to acquire them, when FedEx attempted to, they were unavailable? Is that correct?

Also, your point of contact is the British-Filipino embassy?

sim43
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by sim43 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:07 am

keji wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:49 pm
Hi Everyone,
I have learnt alot form this forum and i have in turn been able to advice people and their applications has being successful. i am here for advice for something unfamiliar to me this time around.
I have a friend whom i helped in filling the UKF form as i did mine. The decision came in last week in which she was advice to apply directly for a British passport has shes already a citizen by descent and her ceremony fee will be returned shortly. she mailed the case worker back stating that she does not meet the requirement as her parents were not legally married and they do not have marriage certificate.
The caseworker insisted that is the route for her and the onus is on her to provide the requirement to the UKPO, as her birth certificate clearly state both parents with same surname.
Unfortunately, in her country, co-habitation, common law marriage is well practised and people bear their partners surnames without any legal requirement, hence no marriage certificate to support marriage.

I did not experience this during my own application and neither have i read about anyone in that category here on the forum so i am truly confused and do not know how to advice her, does anyone knows how this can be resolve?
thank you
What is this 'case workers' affiliation? For my application, and it seems for many others on here, they've only been in touch with the UKVI as an entity.

My layman view says you should continue to submit a UKF application. Your friend is completely correct, looking at the passport requirements you must provide a marriage certificate if you're trying to apply for a passport through your relation to your father. Which... she obviously can't, thereby meaning this case worker is incorrect in assuming your friend is automatically entitled to citizenship by decent; but, you both already know that.

sim43
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by sim43 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:10 am

sim43 wrote:
Update update:

Currently I emailed UKVI, they told me to email national enquires, who then told me to email the UKVI; I have emailed the UKVI, and I'm seriously regretting I did. I feel like me annoying them will be a detriment to my application, but I do also need my passport. :x

It's incredibly irksome, every resource tells me to get in touch with the UKVI, who then seem to take 0 responsibility and pass the pound. :/

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Wed May 30, 2018 8:42 am

sim43 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:07 am
keji wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:49 pm
Hi Everyone,

thank you
What is this 'case workers' affiliation? For my application, and it seems for many others on here, they've only been in touch with the UKVI as an entity.

My layman view says you should continue to submit a UKF application. Your friend is completely correct, looking at the passport requirements you must provide a marriage certificate if you're trying to apply for a passport through your relation to your father. Which... she obviously can't, thereby meaning this case worker is incorrect in assuming your friend is automatically entitled to citizenship by decent; but, you both already know that.

thanks, yea we both know that but he has being adamant and i do not know how else to advice. the particular case worker has had reason to contact her before during the course of the processing, hence the mail contact between them. the mail is @ homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
is their any other query mail she could use?

annalynedano
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by annalynedano » Thu May 31, 2018 11:47 pm

sim43 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 am
annalynedano wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:14 am
sim43 wrote:
Update update:

Hey there, annalynedano

I'm not sure I understand your situation:

The UKVI approved your application and released your documents, (congratulations) but they said that FedEx had to acquire them, when FedEx attempted to, they were unavailable? Is that correct?

Also, your point of contact is the British-Filipino embassy?
hey.. Sorry for the late reply.

They actually did not release the documents yet because i included a prepaid return shipping label (Fedex). Since it is with Fedex, I needed to schedule a pick up so the courier would go to the Home Office and pick it up. I opt in with the return shipping label because if you will send it in standard mail, it will arrive 3-4 months. I actually did not contact the Embassy here because when i had my oath-taking, they said i would need to contact the Home Office directly. Hope this clarifies things

Bummiey
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Bummiey » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Bummiey wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:30 pm
Hello everyone, I applied for citizenship via form UKF from Nigeria. Thanks to all for sharing their timelines, here is mine so far:

04/05/18 Email sent acknowledging receipt of Naturalization certificate in Nigeria
07/05/18 Call from Vice Consul concerning citizenship ceremony, I requested change of location for the ceremony (from Abuja to Lagos)

UPDATE
12/06/18 Citizenship ceremony done and dusted :D officially British and Nigerian 8)

jaffictram
Newly Registered

Post by jaffictram » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Hello
Would someone please advise me urgently? I am UK based, but my son is in JHB SA.

I need to know the process for applying for UKF. Namely:

In the UKF application, it states to fill in the address for biometrics.

Do I use the TLS address for this?
Do I have to notify TLS? (Teleperformance Services)
Do I only pay for the Ceremony fee when applying?

I have checked with Immigration Lawyers here and there and they are wanting a fortune to help with this.

Thank you for your urgent help

Jaffictram

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:42 pm

jaffictram wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:06 pm
Hello
Would someone please advise me urgently? I am UK based, but my son is in JHB SA.

Do I use the TLS address for this? Yes if that is where biometrics will be enrolled.
Do I have to notify TLS? (Teleperformance Services) No
Do I only pay for the Ceremony fee when applying? You need to complete the payment sheet and HO will take the payment as far as I understand.

I have checked with Immigration Lawyers here and there and they are wanting a fortune to help with this.

Jaffictram
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jaffictram
Newly Registered

Post by jaffictram » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:52 pm

Thank you CR001. You really are the immigration guru.

One more question....

please can you tell me the legality of getting my son over on a visitor visa and applying for UKF while he is here on that visa?

Thank you so much for your help.

Jamesthurston70
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Jamesthurston70 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:02 am

Bummiey wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Pls did u get ur British passport after the ceremony at the embassy?

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:09 pm

jaffictram wrote:
Hello

Do I use the TLS address for this? I have just done this from my son in SA, just put place where you live , there are few TLS offices around Sa ( CT , Johannesburg , Durban , Pretoria ,Port Elizabeth)
Do I have to notify TLS? part of the application UKVI will send you a letter to submit biometrics and in the letter they will explain how to book appontmentt with TLS ( you will have 30 days to do that)
Do I only pay for the Ceremony fee when applying? You have to enter your card details on the application form when applying for UKF and they will charge your card

Jaffictram
you don't need lawyers , i have just done this application for my son and didn't use anybody else , if your son meets the criteria and has all the documents required its very straightforward, you are welcome to PM me if you wish , after yous son has submitted biometrics you will need to wait for approval letter , he will then be invited to a Citizenship Ceremony and handed in his Registration Certificate at the ceremony , after that he can apply for his First British Passport ( he will need a copy of his Vault birth certificate if he was born in SA)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:17 pm

KasMac wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:09 pm
jaffictram wrote:
Hello

Do I use the TLS address for this? I have just done this from my son in SA, just put place where you live , there are few TLS offices around Sa ( CT , Johannesburg , Durban , Pretoria ,Port Elizabeth)
Do I have to notify TLS? part of the application UKVI will send you a letter to submit biometrics and in the letter they will explain how to book appontmentt with TLS ( you will have 30 days to do that)
Do I only pay for the Ceremony fee when applying? You have to enter your card details on the application form when applying for UKF and they will charge your card

Jaffictram
you don't need lawyers , i have just done this application for my son and didn't use anybody else , if your son meets the criteria and has all the documents required its very straightforward, you are welcome to PM me if you wish , after yous son has submitted biometrics you will need to wait for approval letter , he will then be invited to a Citizenship Ceremony and handed in his Registration Certificate at the ceremony , after that he can apply for his First British Passport ( he will need a copy of his Vault birth certificate if he was born in SA)
Neither of you have access to the PM privilege and members are reminded to post in public so that all may benefit. Thanks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.