ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canadian Drivers Licence to UK Licence (Full Manual?)

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Katt
Newly Registered
Canada

Canadian Drivers Licence to UK Licence (Full Manual?)

Post by Katt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:13 am

Hey everyone!

I am a Canadian currently living in England on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa. I have held a Canadian drivers licence for the past 9 years. However, in Canada (Alberta specifically) we do not differentiate between manual and automatic licences - you just receive a car licence and you are able to drive whichever you choose, regardless of what your driving test was taken on. From what I understand, my Albertan licence can only transfer to a UK automatic licence and I would have to take a driving test to be fully licenced for a manual vehicle (which is what I currently own).

Here's the confusing part - I previously lived in Australia and have my Australian (Queensland specifically) licence as well, which does specify manual. This licence expired 11/01/2018, so my Albertan licence is my valid one.

I'm just wondering if I were to include my Australian licence (or a copy) with my application if I may be recognized to transfer to a full manual UK licence? I am able to apply to transfer next month and I would like to get it out of the way, but I currently drive a manual and do not want to be knocked back to an automatic licence and have to pay for driving lessons to pass the test.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!