ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Remarry in the UK if already married in home country.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Madsamjp
Newly Registered

Remarry in the UK if already married in home country.

Post by Madsamjp » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:12 am

My girlfriend and I are planning on marrying in the UK. I’m a British citizen, she is an international student. She is already married in another country (Middle East). She ran away from her family, husband and her country and wants to settle here. She is unable to obtain divorce papers from her home country. Her passport doesn’t state she is married, however she did write she was married when applying for the visa. Can we marry here? Does the UK consider her marriage in another country?
Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Remarry in the UK if already married in home country.

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:16 am

She is married already and therefore won't qualify for a spouse visa as both (if applicable to both) have to prove to HO that you are free to marry.

If she has stated in a visa application that she is married, HO will be aware of this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Madsamjp
Newly Registered

Post by Madsamjp » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:34 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:16 am
She is married already and therefore won't qualify for a spouse visa as both (if applicable to both) have to prove to HO that you are free to marry.

If she has stated in a visa application that she is married, HO will be aware of this.
Sorry, I didn’t explain myself well enough. That wasn’t my question. We’re not applying for a spouse visa. I’m asking if the registry office will marry us. On the government website it states she needs to prove nationality (passport), address (utility bill), then we need to wait for 28 days. How can they tell if she’s already married in another country? Will they contact immigration to check her visa status? She’s here on an student visa.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 am

In order to marry in the UK, you are required to give 28 days notice to an HO approved Registry office. They will then inform HO that you/partner wish to marry and this notice period can be extended to 70 days for HO to investigate and/or Interview each of you separately before permission to marry is granted.

So yes, HO will likely look at her immigration application record etc and will see that she has stated that she is married and expect to see evidence that she is divorced.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Madsamjp
Newly Registered

Post by Madsamjp » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:48 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 am
In order to marry in the UK, you are required to give 28 days notice to an HO approved Registry office. They will then inform HO that you/partner wish to marry and this notice period can be extended to 70 days for HO to investigate and/or Interview each of you separately before permission to marry is granted.

So yes, HO will likely look at her immigration application record etc and will see that she has stated that she is married and expect to see evidence that she is divorced.
How can she get a divorce if her husband won’t agree to it? Is it worth trying anyway? If we try will we get into trouble?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:53 am

How long have they been separated?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Madsamjp
Newly Registered

Post by Madsamjp » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:56 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:53 am
How long have they been separated?
She fled her country recently (within the last month). She’s going to apply for asylum.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:57 am

Asylum on what grounds??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Madsamjp
Newly Registered

Post by Madsamjp » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:00 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:57 am
Asylum on what grounds??
It’s rather complex. Her relationship with her family broke down, so she cannot return there.

Ballmigirl17
Albania

Post by Ballmigirl17 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Being married to 2 people at the same time is a criminal offence regardless of the issues she has back home.

she will be in big trouble and most likely never get a visa again. just something to think about :(

dropandroll
Newly Registered

Post by dropandroll » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:04 pm

Ballmigirl17 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:03 pm
Being married to 2 people at the same time is a criminal offence regardless of the issues she has back home.

she will be in big trouble and most likely never get a visa again. just something to think about :(
Forced marriage and keeping someone prisoner is also against the law. If she is going to claim asylum based on these family issues, it sounds like the marriage probably isn't even valid.

Also, British courts are now recognising marriages conducted under Islamic rules, including divorce rights of women.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... orce-case/

Under Sharia a woman has a right to divorce if the husband has fallen short of his commitments.

So if the British govt want to insist her marriage is binding, they also have to commit to upholding her right to divorce.

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:37 pm

Easy there - I cannot see him stating at all she was forced married. All that was stated is she left the country away from Husband by applying as a student. Sounds very fishy to me.

You do realise you can get Talaq Khula, where the women asks for a divorce from the courts in the country it was registered,
Verily, After Hardship Comes Ease