ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

businessmanuk
Mood:

British Naturalization

Post by businessmanuk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 pm

After having the ILR approved, how long do we need to wait before applying for the British passport? Thanks

Casa

Re: British Naturalization

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 pm

businessmanuk wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 pm
After having the ILR approved, how long do we need to wait before applying for the British passport? Thanks
You need to apply for and be granted British citizenship before you qualify for a British passport. :idea:

Unless you are married to a British citizen, you will have to wait 12 months after being issued with ILR before applying for British citizenship.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

businessmanuk
Mood:

Post by businessmanuk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:13 pm

how to apply for British citizenship then?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Form AN. Read the guide and booklet thoroughly.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

businessmanuk
Mood:

Post by businessmanuk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:19 pm

I was reading it and just wanted to clarify that - I do need to wait for 12 months from the date i got my ILR approved before applying for the British citizenship, did i understand right or could i apply for the citizenship because I have been living in the UK for more than 5 years continuously?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:53 pm

businessmanuk wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:19 pm
I do need to wait for 12 months from the date i got my ILR approved before applying for the British citizenship
Yes.

You need both a minimum of one year's residence in the UK with ILR AND a minimum of five years residence overall in the UK before the date of application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.